• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2934 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:48 AM

lt arrived from B&H today. The good news is that it is very small and lightweight. But it's flimsy. lf l had paid full price, l would probably have sent it back for refund. Since it was on sale, l'll keep it, why not :-) l tried it with the Canon M50, Canon M-Canon EF adapter, Canon 18-135 STM, and an L bracket, a setup that weighs 1,113 grams. Normally that would be too heavy for this tripod IMO. But since you can mount the L bracket to the lens adapter, it balances very well. lf you lower the center column about 2 inches, it increases stability greatly(see photo). This yields a height of about 40 inches. Since my M50 has the articulating screen, l don't have to lower my head too much if l use live view. The twist lock on the legs has to be tightened very tight to prevent the legs from retracting. l mean tight enough to feel like you're going to break something! Hopefully it will hold up for long enogh to feel l got my money's worth.

Attached Files

• Attached File  t1.jpg   110.28KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  t2.jpg   99.95KB   0 downloads

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2934 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:57 AM

Don't extend the center column!! When extended, it's about as wobbly as a drunk walking on a windy night. And the most annoying thing about it-when you pan the ball head counter clockwise, it ALWAYS loosens the lock on the center column extensions. Since l never plan on extending it, it's going to get glued "shut".

Attached Files

• Attached File  t3.jpg   78.77KB   0 downloads

Bill

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#3 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2934 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:08 AM

Compared to the original Backpacker, it's 1 3/4 inches shorter when folded. And lighter-870g vs 1150g. Conclusion:Who's it for? Someone who absoultely needs the lightest and smallest tripod. it's good for smartphones and small point and shoot, or a very lightweight mirrorless setup. lt does come with a smartphone mount and bluetooth remote for phones, which l won't be using. Will l use it much? Probably not. Only when l'm using the Canon M50 and a light lens. ls it rugged and stable?-no way. Would l take it on a once in a lifetime overseas vacation? No because l'm afraid something on it would break on it and leave me tripodless. The original Backpacker is much more rugged-l'd trust that one. Do l wish my other tripods had that super cool paint job? You bet! lt's the coolest looking tripod l've ever seen.

Attached Files

• Attached File  t4.jpg   306.22KB   0 downloads

Edited by LightMeter, 08 February 2020 - 04:21 AM.

Bill

#4 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11039 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:52 AM

Enjoy the new tripod, Bill.

😀

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8226 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for sharing the review, Bill.

Maybe the "camo" is throwing me off, but the original Backpacker actually looks sturdier.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2934 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for sharing the review, Bill.

Maybe the "camo" is throwing me off, but the original Backpacker actually looks sturdier.  :)

lt's much sturdier. The leg sections on the Air are very thin. They remind me of a telescoping radio antenna.

Bill

#7 marryanderson322

marryanderson322

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:28 AM

Amazing tips, thanks! You inspire me to make new masterpieces!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users