#1 Curve_in

Curve_in

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, K1100RS, Campagnolo

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:16 PM

Since I will be selling my D7000, I'm looking into what would be the best lens for my D750.  Old and cheap are usually what I pick.

I shoot lots of macro stuff and I have that covered with a Nikon 105mm 2.8 AL-s.  I also enjoy star trails/milkyway shots.  For that I have a Sigma 24mm 1.8, which I'll also use for in the woods flowing water pictures.  

Every once and a while I shoot something that I'll need some reach (FX 200mm / DX 300mm).  With my D7000, I used the kit zoom 70-300 5.6.  When indoors, I would wish I had something faster.  

That brings me to my choices.  I hardly used my DX 35mm 1.8, but when I did, I came up with some "keeper" images.  I plan on getting a 50mm 1.8 or maybe a 1.4.  Either one will be the AF version with a switch on the side of the lens.

For a longer lens, the 80-200mm f/2.8 FX seems to be a good fit.  I'm not sure if a AF-s version would improve my images of someone singing inside a dimly lit church.  If a old 2x teleconverter would work with this lens, I'd be very happy.  

Please let me know what you think about these choices.

Kervin
D7000 + D750
SB-28 * SB-600
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S * Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR * Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AIS Manual Focus * Sigma 24mm f/1.8 * Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set
Sony NEX5 + 16/2.8 + 18-55/3.5-5.6

Carsandkites on Flickr

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

Hi Kervin,

I'd love to help, but it's hard to make specific suggestions without knowing what photography you feel that you still need a lens for.  Further, you already have good gear for much of your photography.

Your comments suggest a couple of areas that you want to cover:  situations where a zoom or telephoto lens would come in handy; and something in the 35-50 mm range. 

For the zoom/telephoto choice I would ask if you have tried your 70 - 300 lens on your D750?  Like the D810, the D750 will automatically switch to DX mode if you put a DX lens on it, giving you that 1.5 crop factor.   One caution:  this doesn't apply to all lenses.  I have a used Sigma 70-300 DG lens that I bought when I still had my D80.  It worked a treat on the D80, but it is actually an FX lens.  Your own lens info should tell if that is the case for you.

If I'm guessing right about the 35-50 mm range, have you considered buying a 24-70?  Nikon makes an outstanding 24-70/f 2.8, but it is hideously expensive.  As an alternative, Herman and I both have the Tamron 24-70/ f 2.8.  It's half the price of the Nikon and top quality glass.  It's my go-to lens.  I'm right in the middle of a commercial photography course.  I've shot 90% of my assignments with that lens.

Hope this helps a bit.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15620 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:48 PM

I have this 80-200/2.8 with a 1.4xTCII & 2xTC II

https://www.kenrockw...on/80200afs.htm

https://www.bhphotov...verter_for.html

This is a very sharp lens. Performs well with the 1.4x and, if your camera can focus this low (I think the 750 does) works well with the 2x. I good light, it's simply amazing. Here is a shot I took with it using the 2x;

Attached File  _DS47568-Edit.jpg   146.46KB   0 downloads

80-200/with 2x (400mm) at 5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400. D4.

With the 2x, you will lose the low light of the 2.8.

Only thing, it is heavy. you would want to get a should strap/sling for it, you don't want to hang it off your neck.  

AF is fast, spot on and works with this particular 2x.

Be careful, there are a few versions of this lens, you want the last one, not the push pull.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15620 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:01 PM

Another good lens, but not a zoom is the 300/F4. Sharp and Quick AF. Can use the 1.4x on it, but not anything more. Also on the heavy side. You can get it new or used.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:02 AM

One thing to consider is whether an AF-S lens motor is needed.  Increasingly, Nikon camera bodies require a motor in the lens for AF.  There are several different motors.  The motor can add risk of failure, but it tends to future proof the lens for new camera bodies.

So you question with a 50mm lens is whether you want the new and more expensive 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 AF-S lens, or the older versions without AF-S at half the price or less.  The same is true for the 80-200 vs. the 70-200 lenses - you can choose AF-D lenses without focus motors or AF-S lenses with some degree of future proofing.  

I would not sell a lens just because of the lack of a focus motor, but at this point it's hard to justify buying a lens without an AF motor unless you fully understand the trade-off in terms of long term use.

You might think about VR in the lens in a similar manner.  The Z cameras don't require VR in the lens because it's in the body.  I'm getting improved use with some older lenses that lack VR on my Z6.  Sensor based stabilization may be delivered on other cameras in the future, and might be an option for DSLR cameras as well as mirrorless.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 Curve_in

Curve_in

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

Hi Kervin,

I'd love to help, but it's hard to make specific suggestions without knowing what photography you feel that you still need a lens for.  Further, you already have good gear for much of your photography.

Your comments suggest a couple of areas that you want to cover:  situations where a zoom or telephoto lens would come in handy; and something in the 35-50 mm range. 

For the zoom/telephoto choice I would ask if you have tried your 70 - 300 lens on your D750?  Like the D810, the D750 will automatically switch to DX mode if you put a DX lens on it, giving you that 1.5 crop factor.   One caution:  this doesn't apply to all lenses.  I have a used Sigma 70-300 DG lens that I bought when I still had my D80.  It worked a treat on the D80, but it is actually an FX lens.  Your own lens info should tell if that is the case for you.

If I'm guessing right about the 35-50 mm range, have you considered buying a 24-70?  Nikon makes an outstanding 24-70/f 2.8, but it is hideously expensive.  As an alternative, Herman and I both have the Tamron 24-70/ f 2.8.  It's half the price of the Nikon and top quality glass.  It's my go-to lens.  I'm right in the middle of a commercial photography course.  I've shot 90% of my assignments with that lens.

Hope this helps a bit.   :)

The need for the longer lens would be a few times a year.  I would love to get some nice shots of an owl, but I've only seen two in the wild in my life!  I've done a few shoots at indoor singing events, but I was sad when I looked at the images when I was done.  I didn't have a fast enough lens nor a camera that worked well at very high iso.  When I did a search of my images in a normal focus length range, I came up with about 2% of my pictures.  I hardly use my DSLR in a casual way.  In those circumstances, I usually use my phone.

Edited by Curve_in, 10 April 2019 - 03:20 PM.

Kervin
D7000 + D750
SB-28 * SB-600
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S * Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR * Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AIS Manual Focus * Sigma 24mm f/1.8 * Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set

Carsandkites on Flickr

#7 Curve_in

Curve_in

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

I have this 80-200/2.8 with a 1.4xTCII & 2xTC II

https://www.kenrockw...on/80200afs.htm

https://www.bhphotov...verter_for.html

This is a very sharp lens. Performs well with the 1.4x and, if your camera can focus this low (I think the 750 does) works well with the 2x. I good light, it's simply amazing. Here is a shot I took with it using the 2x;

attachicon.gif_DS47568-Edit.jpg

80-200/with 2x (400mm) at 5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400. D4.

With the 2x, you will lose the low light of the 2.8.

Only thing, it is heavy. you would want to get a should strap/sling for it, you don't want to hang it off your neck.  

AF is fast, spot on and works with this particular 2x.

Be careful, there are a few versions of this lens, you want the last one, not the push pull.

I'm glad to hear the 80-200 works well with a 2x teleconverter.  I have the two ring 80-200 2.8 on the way.  Thanks for the link to the 2x teleconverter, we have a trip planned for Yellowstone and I'm sure there will be some far away wildlife.

Kervin
D7000 + D750
SB-28 * SB-600

Carsandkites on Flickr

#8 Curve_in

Curve_in

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:22 PM

One thing to consider is whether an AF-S lens motor is needed.  Increasingly, Nikon camera bodies require a motor in the lens for AF.  There are several different motors.  The motor can add risk of failure, but it tends to future proof the lens for new camera bodies.

So you question with a 50mm lens is whether you want the new and more expensive 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 AF-S lens, or the older versions without AF-S at half the price or less.  The same is true for the 80-200 vs. the 70-200 lenses - you can choose AF-D lenses without focus motors or AF-S lenses with some degree of future proofing.  

I would not sell a lens just because of the lack of a focus motor, but at this point it's hard to justify buying a lens without an AF motor unless you fully understand the trade-off in terms of long term use.

You might think about VR in the lens in a similar manner.  The Z cameras don't require VR in the lens because it's in the body.  I'm getting improved use with some older lenses that lack VR on my Z6.  Sensor based stabilization may be delivered on other cameras in the future, and might be an option for DSLR cameras as well as mirrorless.

I've never had good out comes buying for the future.  I end up paying more for a product that I might not like when the future arrives.  I do try to buy nice glass, but the features of the newer lenses don't change how much I enjoy this hobby.  I'm much more worried about lens surviving a hard bump than anything else. 

Edited by Curve_in, 10 April 2019 - 03:24 PM.

Kervin
D7000 + D750
SB-28 * SB-600

Carsandkites on Flickr

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7719 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

The need for the longer lens would be a few times a year.  

When it comes to the camera part of the equation, I suspect that you will be VERY happy with the D750.  Just a hunch! :) 

As for lenses, it sounds like your current 70 - 300 and your other lenses will serve most of your needs.  For those times when they won't, have you considered lens rentals?

Finally, I fully agree with you about phones.  My iPhone will even shoot RAW.  Real handy for those times when I don't want to lug the D810 around.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users