• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

I've been using the 18-135 alot for 3 years now and it gives good images. But VR, metal mount, and focus distance scale would be nice. However, the main reason I want to upgrade is 135mm is not that far into telephoto range. I have better lenses when I need them but would like a superzoom when I don't feel like changing lenses. Has anyone had experience with the 16-300? From the research I've done IQ is great from 16-135. But as you get closer to 200 and 300 quality degrades. I'm thinking about buying one from B&H and returning it if I don't like it. If I end up keeping it and it can match the Nikkor 55-300VR at 300 I'll probably sell the 55-300. I thought about the smaller cheaper Nikkor 18-300 but the 16-300 is wider and has a focus distance scale.

Edited by LightMeter, 16 December 2016 - 05:57 PM.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4343 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

You might look into the 18-270 as well. My wife has one and while I have not done any research into IQ, I have also not noticed any big issues. You'd need to do some further research to know for sure.

Not sure it's still made but you can likely still find new ones out there.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24071 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

The big difference is 16mm is wider more than the 2mm number.

So if you prefer the 24mm fov vs 28 the the 16-300 is a better choice if not the it becomes more difficult to decide.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4343 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

Understood. But if the older lens is sharper thru more of the zoom range, I'd prefer to move back a little and have the sharper lens. Plus the FX equivalent of 18mm is 27mm, so the difference is somewhat less pronounced.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#5 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2694 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:57 AM

Think I'm going to go ahead and order the 16-300 from B&H next week. It has all the goodies-metal mount, focus distance scale, VR, MF override while in AF mode, and many reports of good build quality. $80 instant rebate brings it down to almost what a lightly used one costs. Gotta do it before the 31st because next year my wife and I have decided to stop spending $$$ on toys and start paying down debts   :)   I'm interested to see it's macro capabilities. It goes to 1:2.9 reproduction ratio on it's own. With my Nikon 6t close up lens mounted I'd like to see what it goes to.

Edited by LightMeter, 22 December 2016 - 04:03 AM.

Bill

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#6 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2694 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:08 AM

I also may need to get a 67mm slim polarizer if my polarizer vignettes since mine is not slim. I'm a polarizer FREAK.

Bill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users