#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6525 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I know that more than a few folks in orbit around PN have very good things to say about the Nikon 1.  You'll be interested to learn that the gent who runs Nikon Rumours strongly agrees with you.  :)

https://nikonrumors....px/#more-118855

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20123 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

The J5 is a very good camera.

I hope they improve this lineup!

Thanks for the link, good read, great images.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22932 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

I have nothing to truly bad to say about the One systems IQ and the V1 except Nikon let it die and they crippled it with a non standard hot shoe. Another issue is they priced it more than a DX DSLR and it cost more than a Fuji XE3 AP-C body.  The two primes I had were excellent the 18.5 1.8 and 10 f2.8 were sharp and the AF was fast but other than the $1000 35 f1.2 that was it no more primes and they let the lens lineup get stale and no fast standard zooms only cheap kit lens. IQ was very good  the V1 was excellent up to ISO 800 and good to ISO 1600 and I found the EVF to be nice even if it was a few generations behind.

I would have never sold my One system if Nikon had not crippled it and priced the V3 as much as the  higher end DX  cameras. Sad I still think if Nikon could have produced a winner here it had lots of potential 3 years ago now its outdated and the V3 still costs more than a Fuji XE3 and XT20 both are larger sensors and two generations better.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2434 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:51 AM

I thought Nikon discontinued the Nikon 1 mirrorless line????

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:51 AM

I don't think they have actually discontinued the line - just some individual cameras.  The complaint from Thom Hogan and others is there is no roadmap and no recent updates.  The V3 is not being produced and is listed as out of stock or backordered.  The J5 is readily available.  Lenses are available.

I think the Nikon 1 series is very good - particularly as a proof of concept for mirrorless.  I have two Nikon V1 cameras - one bought near introduction at an outrageous price, and a second bought when it was discontinued for little more than the cost of the battery and the lens (and the battery was replaced in the D500 swap). 

My wife uses the V1 more than her D7200.  It has a nice little flash and is small, light and easy to handle.   

There are a number of features introduced on the V1 that are used on the D850 - such as silent burst mode.  The EVF is very useful and is just touching the surface of the things you can do with a well designed EVF.  The detachable EVF is also a good option and would be a way to put an EVF on a regular DSLR.

Hogan has had some positives about the actual camera.  The AF system is pretty good - especially among compact mirrorless cameras.  The body and controls are not as well designed as a typical Nikon camera which makes controls hard to access and the interface confusing.

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1141 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

I got a free refurbished J1 kit when I purchased LR5 from an eBay dealer. I like it and get some really interesting videos using the super slow motion mode to shoot slot cars. IQ is very good for walk-around shooting, even using the kit zoom lens. I bought a knock-off hand grippy thing which improved the hand feel. I take it instead of a DSLR when I go on day trips. One thing I don't like about it is the lack of an eye-level viewfinder. I find holding the camera away from my body is too different from using an SLR where the body is right up against your face and everything extraneous to the shot and what you don't see through the viewfinder is filtered out so you can concentrate on the image taking process much better.

Peter

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20123 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

I got a free refurbished J1 kit when I purchased LR5 from an eBay dealer. I like it and get some really interesting videos using the super slow motion mode to shoot slot cars. IQ is very good for walk-around shooting, even using the kit zoom lens. I bought a knock-off hand grippy thing which improved the hand feel. I take it instead of a DSLR when I go on day trips. One thing I don't like about it is the lack of an eye-level viewfinder. I find holding the camera away from my body is too different from using an SLR where the body is right up against your face and everything extraneous to the shot and what you don't see through the viewfinder is filtered out so you can concentrate on the image taking process much better.

Peter

My thoughts exactly.  If Nikon wants me to ever look at their  mirrorless, anything short of EV is a waste of my time and effort.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

I wouldn't mind picking up a J5 bundle, it's probably much more affordable than their mirrorless on the horizon.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users