Scan of 1989 deployment to Thailand

2 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24113 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:04 AM

OK this is spring of 1989 taken at Camp SameeSon(spelling) in Thailand. You can see the guard tower in the far right on the beach. This was a US base during the Vietnam war and close to U-tapao Royal Thai Naval Air base(now an international airport and Thai NAF base). I also remember being close to the royal Thai Naval Hospital at Sattahip.

Camera Nikon EM, 50 series E 1.8, Film I am sure this was Kodak Gold 100 or 200 I bought at the NEX in the Philippines. I have since lost the negatives so this is a scan of the print. The color has held up well over the years as this is now what 19 years old.

Attached Images

• IMG_0004.jpg

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7593 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Nice bit of History Jim.. yes the print has held up well over time...... looks like a nice place to have been posted to! Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:28 AM

Jim, Here is an old slide shot. I reproduced this from a slide using a slide convert lens in my Fuji 5100. Like a knuckle head, I did not store my slides correctly and there is a lot of dust, etc. on them. This clearly shows in this photo. This was taken at a village on the South China Sea (location not exactly known but in I Corps). As a Navy Corpsman attached to the Marines (FMF) I helped organize and participated in the People to People program (late renamed to Medcap). This was our attempt to win the hearts and minds of the Vietnamese. I swear this village was like right out of Terry and Pirates in the Sunday funnies. This was a home base for the South Vietnamese Navy. I will try and find some shots of their boats and post them. I swear, they had carved wooden dragons on the bow as well as an old WW II air cooled machine gun (30 cal.). The sailors, whom I don't have many pictures of, because they didn't want the potential for their identities known to the VC, looked as if they had copied characters right out of Terry and the Pirates. Of course, it was just the other way around. Jim, thanks for the post. vietnamese_boat_edited.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users