• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22398 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:20 AM

Very impressive, Herman.  I just showed off your cockpit to my wife who is equally impressed.

Question:

You mention you saw the desert from 37,000 feet.  

How low can you go?

What details can you see?

Curious.

Signature_Line_V4

#122 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

Art, I need a memory refresher... which desert scene are you referring to?

In general, what you can see from 37,000ft depends on atmospheric conditions prevailing at the time of flying. The actual weather conditions are injected into the flight simulation program every few minutes. What you are able to see also depends on the quality of the satellite imagery featured for a particular area in the simulation program.

For your info, the planned flight path data is inserted into the weather program prior to the actual flight and is from that moment continuously updated. Wind direction and speed continuously changes resulting sometimes in having alter the original assigned runway to land on.

Hope the above offers some clarification.

😃

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 | P3700 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#123 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 06 September 2020 - 10:01 AM

IMMERSION

So let's take a quick look at another important aspect within flight simulation..." immersion ". 

Ground Handling - Airports are always an extremely busy hive of activity. Crew / passengers board and de-board, catering services, refueling of aircraft, handling cargo, logistical equipment requirements, fuel requirements, push-backs, etc, etc.

All these aspects are dealt with by a program called GSX / GSX Level 2.  I don't often make full use of the facilities offered due to time constraints.

The software is developed by FSDREAMTEAM.

For more information see link: https://www.fsdreamt...gsx_level2.html

Aircraft - You may have noticed from my previous posts that there are at times many other aircraft around. Some are static but others operate according to schedule (just like the real thing)!

These aircraft can not only be encountered on the ground but in the air during flight as well. A special add-on program ensures that they produce the associated engine sound as well. In fact, sometimes I just listen at a selected airport and watch all the activity just like the real thing!

The program used for the above is called, Ultimate Traffic Live which is responsible for AI traffic generation and management. It comes from the software developer Flight1.

See link: http://www.flight1.c...?product=utlive

On-board Announcements - Just like during a real flight, all announcements are made. This includes music, passenger sounds (throughout the flight) and all crew announcements. I even get a clap after doing a descent landing!

Subject to the airline used, I apply a specific language module. All modules are multilingual meaning English and a foreign language. In my case I have separate modules for the Dutch, French, German, Portuguese and Spanish languages.

So if I fly Lufthansa my announcements are in German and English, with TAP Air Portugal it would be in Portuguese and English, with KLM it would be Dutch and English, etc,etc. All performed very realistically!

The program used is called Simsounds which has been developed by On-Next GMBH.

See link: https://www.simsounds.de

Environmental Sounds - ENVSOUND by Toga Projects really does a good job concerning immersion by offering a considerable variety of realistic sounds concerning airports, nature, etc, etc.

See link: https://www.togaprojects.com/envsound

I also have several other utilities but will cover that at a later stage.

Hope the above offers a little more insight into my very addictive hobby!

:)

#124 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8258 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

Wow!  Herman, you really DO have a lot of fun with this.  However, you are quite right when you describe this as very addictive.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#125 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:41 AM

Soaking up the sun on the Canary Islands

Join me for a flight with an Airbus A319 from Lisbon, Portugal to the Island of Tenerife, Canary Islands... great destination to get a sun tan!

The flight with TAP (TP1128) Air Portugal is based on an actual scheduled service. Flight time 2 hours, 5 minutes.  

So bring along your sun tan lotion and let's take to the skies...

Our flightpath today takes us from Portugal over the Atlantic Ocean (along the coast of Morocco) to the Canaries (several islands make up the Canary Islands with the largest being Tenerife, Las Palmas and Fuerteventura)

Bwq05sD.jpg

We await our pushback from the gate at Gen. Humberto Delgado Airport, Lisbon

3wyj3tx.jpg

Taxiing towards our assigned runway 03 (30 degrees)

mLNtVRK.jpg

Having accelerated along the runway and reached our rotation speed, our wheels leave the ground

o8pQ10i.jpg

Views of Lisbon suburbs

H0mbGNJ.jpg

Some further nice views of the Lisbon area as we head for the skies above

DPG9OWE.jpg

Passing over the coastline near Costa da Caprica with some maritime activity

uke1xAP.jpg

Our final views of the Portuguese coastline as we head out across the Atlantic Ocean in a southerly direction

H2lyK8u.jpg

Having finally reached our cruise altitude of 36,000ft (FL360), it's time for coffee and some watchful relaxation

bvMBJEu.jpg

Watchful as always, as we are never alone in the skies as can be seen here

Wtz9Z6e.jpg

Our first sight of the Canary Islands (Tenerife) in the distance

4udX4aK.jpg

The Pico del Teide meaning Mount Teide (volcano) comes into view with it's height of 3,718 meters. Last eruption was on the 18th November 1909

T4KGdH2.jpg

Approaching the rugged north-eastern section of the coastline

NaDO2rH.jpg

Following our track to the south-eastern part of the island

IFr3n4h.jpg

Some nice views of the rugged mountain landscape

rfzTbc7.jpg

PlcqSZk.jpg

Nice view of Mt. Teide. I was getting increasingly nervous thinking that we were at insufficient height. The systems on board were constantly reminding me of this

exycOeZ.jpg

Steep gorges as we fly along our flightpath

h0b3TL8.jpg

We reach the most southern coastline and shortly thereafter make a U-turn so as to line up for the approach

FyPuw1K.jpg

Our assigned runway ILSZ07 (74 degrees actual) comes into view

mvsoVt5.jpg

We descend rapidly for our landing with the speed a little too high for comfort

QrREJ2H.jpg

A little too fast but safely on the ground at Tenerife Sur (South) / Reina Sofia Airport

t909lTF.jpg

Heading toward the terminal building

wB3uzkE.jpg

Arriving at our assigned gate

z7p3oLK.jpg

JBu06ON.jpg

EuWgSuC.jpg

Passengers disembarking via the getway

stUNoK9.jpg

Thanks for looking. Now let's head for the beach...

#126 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:40 AM

A visit to the Pearl of the Adriatic

Performed a short flight yesterday afternoon from Vienna, Schwechat Airport, Austria to Dubrovnik, Cilipi Airport, Croatia.  The cirty of Dubrovnik is a world heritage site.
Aircraft used was an Airbus a319 belonging to Austrian Airlines. Weather was good and the flight duration was 1 hour, 15 minutes.
The flight schedule was based on an actual operated flight.
So fasten your seatbelts and let's fly...

Our flightplan from Vienna (LOWW), Austria to Dubrovnik (LDDU), Croatia
DrOP4qK.jpg

Our wheels start rolling after having obtained pushback & engine start clearance
oSu4z22.jpg

Our pushback is now nearly completed and our aircraft faces the direction of where we need to taxi to. During this time our engines 2 +1 (in respective order), are spooling up
CEp8SgM.jpg

Having obtained taxi clearance and after completion of the checklists, we head along the taxi-way towards our assigned runway
ICj5VNN.jpg

We continue our taxi to the assigned take-off runway 16 (160 degrees)
rsujttg.jpg

After taking off, we initially climb to 5000ft (FL50). After making the appropriate turn, you see the Vienna, Schwechat Airport in the background
t4rtLJo.jpg

Our climb continues after having gained the Air Traffic Control (ATC) instruction to ascend to 13,000ft (FL130) and later to 29,000ft (FL290)
EZ2YR0I.jpg

XqqIHRN.jpg

Having achieved our cruising altitude of 29,000ft (FL290), it's time for... coffee.  Just wish sometimes they would serve cappuccino!
8BDRmIZ.jpg

The landscape below changes rapidly to rugged mountain scenery
LEsBxxa.jpg

Soon ATC advises us to initiate our descent from 29,000ft (FL290) to 24,000ft (FL240) and thereafter continue to 17,000ft (FL170)
ByzrnAQ.jpg

An external view of our aircraft and landscape
3rXhNKO.jpg

In the meantime ATC had instructed us to further descend to 11,000ft (FL110) and then down to 9,000ft (FL90) as we get closer to our destination. We get our first glimpse of the Adriatic Sea
ILSc15x.jpg

Views of the Adriatic coastline
sB0eInK.jpg

We fly past Dubrovnik Airport  as we need to be on the approach for runway 29
joHh2wl.jpg

As we fly past our destination in a southerly direction, we descend further as instructed by ATC and prepare ourselves for some interesting maneuvers...
CrOudhK.jpg

We first do a sharp turn to the right bringing us over the Adriatic Sea
2Ltg8Ou.jpg

We approach the Adriatic coastline and fly towards the rugged landscape. I was getting quite concerned in respect of our height at this stage (never mind moments later)!
caIWiuy.jpg

Having mustered all the confidence possible as we fly around a coastal mountain and flow the flightpath to the left... what can we expect around the corner???
XdjlXP9.jpg

Wow! Runway 29 in sight and... as indicated by the 4 red lights a little too low
cM7cOBX.jpg

I immediately rectified the altitude situation and now continued the approach at the appropriate height as indicated by 2 white / 2 red lights... I'm still sweating at this stage!
Swoe1oG.jpg

After a good landing we taxi towards the main terminal building
MoOJ0Cx.jpg

Having arrived at our assigned gate the jetway is connected to our aircraft... welcome to the "Pearl of the Adriatic"!
8BUN5yn.jpg

Airport views
fkP87VR.jpg

Thanks for looking and let's now visit the fascinating City of Dubrovnik!

#127 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8258 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

Another great flight, Herman.  Does your flight sim package allow you to set up flight emergencies?  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#128 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:05 PM

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I can program the simulator for all types of emergencies both technical and non-technical.

Some of the individual aircraft I have, can be programmed for emergency situations too.
See link for the Dash 8 Q400:  http://majesticsoftw...0/products.html   I have the 64bit PRO version of this aircraft.
PMDG aircraft offers similar as can be seen on their website: pmdg.com

The PMDG 747-400 Base Package spares no detail with incredibly accurate cockpit displays, a full-featured flight management system, highly accurate LNAV/VNAV and auto-thrust modes, precise and realistic ground and satellite approach navigation capability, dozens upon dozens of optional pieces of equipment with which you can customize your 747 cockpit and literally hundreds of potential mechanical failure scenarios that you can activate to challenge your flying skills and your airplane knowledge.

Unquote

The are certain manufacturers such as A2A whereby you actually need to maintain the aircraft to avoid issues. For details see www.a2asimulations.com

I can even control fire brigade vehicles at airports complete with screaming sirens but I don't think my wife would approve!  :D

#129 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8258 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

I can even control fire brigade vehicles at airports complete with screaming sirens but I don't think my wife would approve!  :D

:D  ;)  :D

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#130 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Windy & Wet Genoa, Italy

Did a short 52 minute domestic flight today with an Airbus A319 belonging to the Spanish low-cost carrier, VOLOTEA.

The routing was from Olbia, Costa Esmeralda Airport located in the NE of Sardinia to Genoa, Italy

The weather was extremely poor along the way with heavy cloud cover, plenty of turbulance and further north towards our destination, it just got worse and worse with heavy rain, high winds and thunderstorms.

So much so, that I failed to take images of the approach / landing as I needed full concentration to get the aircraft on the ground which was succesful but with a thud...

Our flightplan

K45sSWj.jpg

VOLOTEA parked at the Costa Emeralda Airport, Olbia

djdItLO.jpg

Our A319 aircraft

6ZzOOTv.jpg

During the pushback sequence

7A1650e.jpg

Awaiting our turn for departure from runway 23 (230 degrees)

BEV98Vy.jpg

Incoming traffic ( Transavia Boeing 737-800)

e6Y9oPg.jpg

Climbing towards our initial assigned altitude of 8000ft (FL80)

EdH2LcD.jpg

ZCaSiKG.jpg

We cruise along at 18000ft (FL180). No coffee today as there is just too much turbulance

hGIiZjX.jpg

55yMjv9.jpg

We descend to 12000ft (FL120) and continue to 6500ft (FL65) as instructed by Air Traffic Control (ATC). The rain has started...

RY94zVS.jpg

We initially fly in a south-westerly direction past our destination airport after which we do a sharp turn so as to line up for the approach towards runway 10 (100 degrees)

AqFnoIn.jpg

Sorry, no images of the approach / landing due to the extreme poor weather (full concentration required)

We arrive at our assigned parking area after landing at Genoa Christoforo Colombo (Sestri) Airport

75cyP8X.jpg

Soon all vehicles arrive and it becomes a busy scene around our aircraft

JpYqKr5.jpg

gMLew3u.jpg

OMNFx2O.jpg

WlZO1J9.jpg

2ABfSu2.jpg

Some extra ground images as a bonus due to no approach / landing images available.

Thanks for looking and don't forget your umbrella!

#131 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7722 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:28 PM

Very cool Herman.... I have spent a couple of days in Genova... but the weather was fine then :P :D.. no umbrella required .

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#132 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8258 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:51 AM

Another nice series, Herman.

I noticed that the First Officer was so frightened that he hid out in the washroom during takeoff?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#133 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

🤣😂🤣

#134 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

Introducing you to the Land of the Polar Bear

Join me for a reasonably short flight from Tromso, Finnmark Province (ENTC) to Longyearbyen (ENSB), Spitsbergen / Svalbard.  Flight time just under 1.5 hours.

Our flight today is with Scandinavian Airlines flight SK4414. An actual operated flight but normally carried out with a Boeing B737 (in for service).

Weather conditions were fair but rather cloudy and of course we were greeted with very unpredictable weather as we closed in on our destination.

So, fasten your seatbelt and let's take to the skies... 

Our flightplan taking us directly north over Bear Island  

IfivaEU.jpg

Ready for departure from Tromso Airport that is located only 5km from the city. Awaiting authorisation for push-back and engine start

aQfgyzD.jpg

During the push-back sequence, we also start our engines. First engine #2 and once spooled up, engine #1

Pm0opgC.jpg

After a brief taxi procedure, we arrive at the holding point for our departure runway 18 (180 degrees).  We now await authorisation from the tower so as to gain access to the runway

NLWwwBs.jpg

Having taken-off in a southerly direction, we do a sharp turn to the right and simultaneously do a steep climb due to the mountainous region. We are instructed to initially climb to 8,000ft (FL080) and thereafter climb to 15,000ft (FL150), 25,000ft (FL250) until we reach our cruise altitude of 35,000ft (FL350)

1FUZxgv.jpg

tsdClC2.jpg

Below you can see part of Tromso and the airport from which we departed

268d4FQ.jpg

gqgC24t.jpg

The region is littered with fjords and islands

FgZLYAW.jpg

Looking back, we have a nice view of the city of Tromso, the airport and surroundings

oBi5d6f.jpg

We continue our climb and soon reach the Barents Sea area

BkR24Dk.jpg

Crossing over the Barents Sea

9ul9Tp8.jpg

Having finally reached our cruise altitude, it is of course time for coffee

UuyYDi0.jpg

We continue our flight north and eventually reach the uninhabited Bear Island that is situated approximately half-way between the Norwegian mainland and Spitsbergen / Svalbard. Unfortunately, the island cannot be seen due to cloud cover

DnFAHod.jpg

An external view from below our aircraft with plenty of blue skies

BiC76ym.jpg

Our first sighting of the most southern tip of Spitsbergen / Svalbard on the on-board radar. After reaching the waypoint, EDIKI, we immediately start our descent from 35,000ft (FL350) in stages being 25,000ft (FL250) and then to 15,000ft (FL150) 

4FS0dET.jpg

Approaching the Spitsbergen / Svalbard coastline

8EoonTo.jpg

IvKVbju.jpg

gZYgvMo.jpg

YfwgP5o.jpg

We are eventually advised by Air Traffic Control to descend further to 10,000ft (FL100) 

jz3IVkG.jpg

F6TBDfo.jpg

ETd0QpZ.jpg

We turn in a westerly direction towards our destination being Longyearbyen and continue our descent to 3,100ft (FL31)

8pbldW5.jpg

As mentioned earlier the weather on Spitsbergen / Svalbard can always be extremely unpredictable and can change from one moment to the next

XUVcBF6.jpg

Bt7ZucJ.jpg

gAKVPir.jpg

Heading on over the sea beyong Lonyearbyen so as to gain sufficient distance from the airport and be able to initiate the approach

ily0brM.jpg

During our turn heading back in an easterly direction so as to line up for the approach to our assigned runway 10 (100 degrees)

MnfMSIJ.jpg

Our cockpit view as we line up for the approach to our ILS10 runway (ILS = Instrument Landing System) A frequency beacon sending out signals to aid airport landings

fCZbGA8.jpg

At this stage it's an ongoing battle with the wind direction

Xv0csG3.jpg

Touchdown at Longearbyen. Welcome to Spitsbergen / Svalbard!

T6Jaoro.jpg

We turn left off the runway so as to head for the apron

jXaOa7I.jpg

Terminal building and control tower

CIBu61v.jpg

This flight brought back many memories as I personally spent 10 days at this fascinating destination back in 2013. The only difference being that I flew with Norwegian from Oslo and landed at Longyearbyen on runway 28 (280 degrees)

Thanks for looking!

:)  PS. Polar Bears are a protected species on the whole of Spitsbergen / Svalbard!

Additional information

Link:  https://en.wikipedia...rg/wiki/Tromsø

Link:  https://en.wikipedia...Island_(Norway)

Link:  https://en.wikipedia...iki/Spitsbergen

#135 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3011 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:28 AM

l want to go to Longyeabyen.

Bill

DXFNFF-DX Forever Never Full Frame :) 

#136 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22398 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 11 October 2020 - 10:40 PM

That is so impressive, Herman!

I love the 747 you posted for Mark.

Take it from the Edmonton Airport and do a fly by over Toronto! ;) 

Do a circuit around the CN Tower in downtown Toronto. This is a very impressive program!

Signature_Line_V4

#137 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

An Air Transat Airbus A321 aircraft & a CN Tower in downtown Toronto!

After reading Art's above comment he made me rather curious...  due to time constraints, I chose to do a short flight today from Montreal (CYUL), Quebec to Toronto (CYYZ), Ontario.

Based on Air Transat's flight TS761. The flight duration was 1 hour and 3 minutes.  Unfortunately, I had not synchronised the the Canadian time but the projected weather conditions were actual during flight time.

Weather was calm along the way but after having departed Montreal there was considerable cloud cover and approaching Toronto it only seemed to get worse... low cloud or mist... seemed rather spooky!

Well folks, fasten your seatbelts and let's take to the skies!  Note that I have put much emphasis on the airports so that they may be recognised more easily for the "Mounties" amongst us.

Our flightplan

kigAeb5.jpg

At our gate, Montreal-Trudeau International Airport 

Eg6zIRg.jpg

Boarding passengers and cargo being loaded onto the aircraft

l7GCiA5.jpg

After approval from Ground Air Traffic Control the pushback is implemented and we are able to spool up the jet engines... first #2 and then #1

UjjaaBI.jpg

Having gained permission from the Tower we access our assigned runway 06R. Our initial assigned altitude is 7,000ft (FL70)

n6gMORI.jpg

Climbing to the skies above. I always try to take screenshots when racing along the runway for take-off but things happen so fast... Soon we are advised to to climb further to 16,000 (FL160)

gedK6Nr.jpg

Continuing our climb over the suburbs of Montreal

8drA6yB.jpg

Qav5gHz.jpg

G0yxXI8.jpg

Our aircraft with the Saint Lawrence River in the background

lLqjQnj.jpg

ZND9Hpb.jpg

Following the Saint Lawrence River

I8NsjdI.jpg

Cloud cover ahead which gets worse as we head further south

qLrcg3q.jpg

Nothing like a nice cuppa at our cruising altitude of 32,000ft (FL320)

oWfZnIc.jpg

External view of our aircraft during a descent to 25,000ft (FL250), 15,000ft (FL150), 11,000ft (FL110), 6,000ft (FL60) and subsequently to 3,600ft (FL36) respectively

Pn2R54i.jpg

As we descend towards Toronto our visibility decreases considerably

I2ukQJu.jpg

Between the cloud lays we get our first glimpse of the Toronto region

Wp0FHdx.jpg

Before we know it we are passing over the city with it's CN Tower!

GBx0VRg.jpg

The sighting was brief as it fades away due to cloud cover / misty conditions

8Ptnb0x.jpg

We continue our flight south of the airport and soon need to backtrack in the direction of the airport 

OW2jZ6S.jpg

Our flight-path takes us over the extensive Toronto suburbs (perhaps over Art's residence?) We are advised to further descend to 3,000ft (FL30)

wFmPlo8.jpg

Turning sharply to the right so as to head back for the airport

hSXDWC2.jpg

Passing low over the suburbs with it's many highways

sBhzuPA.jpg

We line up our aircraft for the approach to runway ILS06R (60 degrees on the right-hand side as there is another parallel runways on the left)

tX6FGH7.jpg

Touchdown at Toronto Pearson International Airport

FPgKBxu.jpg

We leave the runway as soon as possible and head for the terminal

SWi6CcX.jpg

Care must be taken as we taxi across other runways prior to reaching our terminal

IeRRfjg.jpg

Looking out of our left window we can just see an aircraft taking off 

T4ozdS2.jpg

We continue to our assigned terminal

lqEUA1A.jpg

Approaching our assigned gate

aVz0CRb.jpg

LSZNmSt.jpg

Finally, at our gate where our happy passengers disembark and all cargo is off-loaded

ewh2XF3.jpg

Some further views of the airport surroundings

eCl5hoj.jpg

Gob3rbU.jpg

LoIhbzg.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the ride.  Time to visit the CN Tower in downtown Toronto!

#138 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8258 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

Another great flight, Herman.  We'll have to ask Art if he had any unexpected drop-ins!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#139 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:43 AM

Welcome to a rainy Nurnberg Airport!

Our flight number today is LH145 which is carried out with a Lufthansa Airbus A319.

A short domestic flight from Nurnberg (EDDN) to Franksfurt (EDDF).

Flight time 36 minutes. Weather conditions: Calm but with considerable cloud cover.

So fasten your seatbelts and let's go...

Our flightplan

XWMQ688.jpg

Plenty of activity at Gate 11 with passengers boarding and cargo being uploaded

4avdbDI.jpg

Scene during our push-back sequence. At this stage out jet engines are spooling up

zmyTh1m.jpg

After final checks, we gain authorisation to start our taxi to our assigned runway 28

C3cw6dm.jpg

Taxiing towards our departure runway. Our weather radar clearly indicates prevailing overcast conditions

fBM7oCV.jpg

Racing down the runway for take-off. Things happen extremely fast and full concentration is an absolute necessity

FJrTzoG.jpg

As per ATC instruction we initially ascend to 8,000ft (FL80)

MLvbcsU.jpg

Thereafter Air Traffic Control (ATC) advies us to continue our climb to 22,000ft (FL220) which is our cruising altitude

Fk9Nnvm.jpg

External view 

WArcYaX.jpg

Cockpit view as we proceed to Frankfurt

MMW68Au.jpg

Cockpit instrumentation

VGORsa1.jpg

Cockpit instrumentation

LPCySVc.jpg

Cockpit views

KRE7ILd.jpg

External view during a heading change as we descend in sequence from 22,000ft (FL220) to 12,000ft (FL120), 7,000ft (FL70) and then to 4,400ft (FL44)

A2fEMuF.jpg

During descent

37cVaot.jpg

During descent. Flaps have been extended to slow down our speed

nLRqM74.jpg

Our first views as we break through the low cloud cover

MKImFhs.jpg

Continuing our descent

GLT8h6e.jpg

We are now in the process of doing a near 180 degree right turn so as to align ourselves for a landing on runway ILS07R

VjkTEVU.jpg

Aligning ourselves for a landing on runway ILS07R

qwUg19g.jpg

On our approach

i9m3i2m.jpg

Approach continued

18C7CyR.jpg

Landing on runways ILS07R.  EDDF has multiple parallel runways

BwsHjkL.jpg

We continue down the runways until we are able to turn off it towards the left. We always attempt to leave the active runway asap

CpoUcxM.jpg

Heading towards the teminal / assigned gate

xKwL5Sa.jpg

Considerable caution must be taken as we cross other runways

QUDEzOu.jpg

Lufthansa B747 taking off in the background (our own aircraft in the foreground) after having just crossed an active runway ILS07C (centre)

5fTc8As.jpg

Waiting for other aircraft to taxi. Busy, busy, busy...

15Ki8FB.jpg

We continue our taxi and make a left turn to our apron area

1wulUcQ.jpg

Arriving at our assigned gate.  We apply the parking brake and both engines are switched off

Pukivhq.jpg

Gate scene with the jetway attached to our aircraft

kiSilQ2.jpg

At this stage passengers disembark and baggage / cargo is off-loaded

5QviRU7.jpg

Cargo containers being offloaded.

tZS53mB.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the flight.

Herman

PS. Noticed on this occasion that my external aircraft lights were not in operation due to too many non-flight simulation background programs being active.

#140 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

Seychelles, an island paradise in the Indian Ocean

Thought I'd do a flight in another part of the world...

The flight this time is with a FastJet Airbus A319 is from Dar es Salaam (HTDA), Tanzania to Victoria (FSIA), Seychelles. Flight duration 2 hours, 34 minutes.

The weather being partially overcast and later with broken cloud cover along the way. Generally, very calm conditions.

Enought talk... fasten your seatbelt(s) and lets go!

Our flightplan. The route takes us initially slightly north-east and then directly east over the Indian Ocean

Z0CkE0r.jpg

Our aircraft parked on the ramp at Julius Nyerere International Airport, Dar es Salaam with pleanty of on-loading activities

77Rxwno.jpg

kaODFg3.jpg

We request authority for pushback and engine start. During this sequence we spool up the engines one by one. After going through some final checklist procedures, we are advised to taxi to runway 05 from which we take-off

GlYDfHq.jpg

Ascending into the skies above. We are initially advised to climb to 8,000ft (FL80) 

7IX8335.jpg

During our climb we head in an easterly direction for the coast.  Our climb continues in stages being 18,000ft (FL180), 27,000ft (FL270) and then on to our assigned cruise altitude of 37,000ft (FL370)

ekYUe4o.jpg

Approaching the Tanzanian coastline

8q8Xyl9.jpg

As we fly over the ocean we can see vessels along the way

7DsC9LC.jpg

We pass south of an island situated close to the Tanzanian coast

93tYrxZ.jpg

Heading over the Indian Ocean

bKdQx6k.jpg

External cockpit view

ElB46cL.jpg

External view of our aircraft

AueyS8E.jpg

Knock, knock... guess who is at our cockpit door...

Fvg49jZ.jpg

You guessed it... time for coffee after having reached our cruising level of 37,000ft (FL370).  The monitor on the left shows the main island of the Seychelles

Wk7K7p9.jpg

Our cockpit overhead shown partially with all its bells & whistles

0uObt0t.jpg

The main instruments indicated here are the Flight Management Computers (FMC's) 

o6HFuRR.jpg

The centre console  shows the onboard radios, throttle levers, engine ignition switsches, flap & spoilers levers, weather radar switches, etc, etc

RichZcu.jpg

Left view in cockpit

BilUkO5.jpg

x5HEj3G.jpg

Views from the cockpit as we descend in to 25,000ft (FL250) and then further to 15,000ft (FL150)

Lyg6IyY.jpg

Our first view of the Seychelle Islands in the distance. At this stage we have been instructed to descend to 11,000ft (FL110)

zdPm6KL.jpg

Again an external view of our aircraft passing over a vessel down below

PunRUoF.jpg

The islands are now appearing clearer. We are advised to descend to 6,000FT (FL60)

dD6YF5O.jpg

With the main island in front of us we do a slight turn so as to head directly for Victoria

7pzmGtr.jpg

Fast approach towards the city of Victoria (capital of the Seychelles)  At this stage we are at 4,500ft (FL45)

heFcdn7.jpg

Over Victoria. The runway is on the left of us

UnYxU98.jpg

Our approach to runway 13. At this stage a little too high as it's my first time at this destination. Needed to do a very rapid slow-down too

qeLRO7S.jpg

On the approach for a manual landing on runway 13

q7AkMlb.jpg

Having landed, we're advised that the terminal is on the right-hand side. As there is no taxi-way we need to backtrack along the runway we landed on as soon as we've managed to slow down

M7lfOBT.jpg

Backtracking on the runway we landed on

Hhttn4b.jpg

The terminal is now on our left-hand side

3bEkpjx.jpg

On the apron and heading to our parking area number 3

0WQu5Yb.jpg

Approaching parking area number 3

2iI4M7l.jpg

Our aircraft parked at Victoria Airport... Welcome to the Seychelles!

VSI6U8f.jpg

Off-loading activities

sfKkoOB.jpg

ECHinb4.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed the flight.

Enjoy your vacation!

Some extra information:

Links:  https://en.wikipedia...i/Dar_es_Salaam

Links:  https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Seychelles

Links:  https://en.wikipedia...ki/Indian_Ocean

#141 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:08 AM

Air Greenland disappears off the radar

With the weather being bad here today, I thought I'd attempt another flight... Based on an actual flight operating between Copenhagen (EKCH), Denmark and Kangerlussuag (BGSF), Greenland.

The flight is with an Airbus A330 and the flight expectation was expected to be approximately 4.5 hours with the flightpath taking us over southern Norway and Iceland.

The weather is misty / overcast and it could get rather bumpy along the way, so fasten your seatbelts and let's take to the skies...

Flightplan

l9uYYRX.jpg

Several ground activities on the ramp at Copenhagen's Kastrup Airport

PF9bUrB.jpg

1AM4Dqo.jpg

sZKcBGF.jpg

1T6Efah.jpg

vdlR2oj.jpg

Our truck has arrived and is ready for the pushback sequence

9Sm04zQ.jpg

LXsdyod.jpg  

During this time our engines are spooling up

bid0gfc.jpg

1UyRchQ.jpg

We are advised to take-off from runway 22R (220 degrees and on the right). Prior to going through additional checklist procedures we obtain taxi clearance and proceed to the assigned runway

kGsMRZ3.jpg

The tower authorises us to enter the runway

wt480KA.jpg

Finally, we line up for our take-off and we accelerate to our V1, V2 and rotational speed in no time

mUS0yqy.jpg

e9BurRP.jpg

k6YtNGe.jpg

Climbing into the sky above as instructed in sequence being an initial 7,000ft (FL70) and then on to 13,000ft (FL130), 23,000ft (FL230) and then to our cruise altitude of 38,000ft (FL380)

1Vnz3cg.jpg

us0XPsx.jpg

CjEWIII.jpg

Having reached our cruise altitude, a stewardess knocks on our cockpit door

ecliKub.jpg

Coffee time!

EtiycYa.jpg

Flying over southern Norway. We approached the coast slightly west of Kristiansand (ENCN) with the intention of leaving the coast again at Stavanger (ENZV), Norway

F1724cc.jpg

Oops! At this stage my PC crashed unexpectedly due to lack of sufficient memory available (will be sorted out with an additional 32GB that I should receive tomorrow)

Thanks for looking.  I hope to repeat this flight again soon taking you across some very interesting landscape.

:(

#142 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8258 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

Oh dear, Herman!  Did you crash and burn?  :P

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#143 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:43 AM

Mark, it was all over in a flash! 😥

On the bright side though, I had already wanted to upgrade the memory from 32>64GB for quite some time. This experience provided the motivational justification...

There are just so many additional programs running in the background.

Cheers 😀

#144 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11112 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 AM

As mentioned above, I've in the meantime upgraded my PC's memory BUT the issue was not related to what I initially thought.

I had repeated the Air Greenland flight after having upgraded the memory only to experience another PC crash just beyond having passed the Faroer Islands enroute to Iceland.

One of my secondary software programmes "ChasePlane" had some alterations made to it and after receiving excellent advise from the developer, I participated in a beta upgrade to the product and till now no issues though I haven't as yet repeated the Air Greenland flight for a third time.

However, I'd like to share a few more images with you from where I had left off from the above to the moment I went off the radar again...

Looking below we can see the last outcrops of the Norwegian coast as we head we head in a NW direction over the ocean

nKje8CG.jpg

Our radar screen confirms that we are leaving the Norwegian coast

pu5TTd8.jpg

An external view of our aircraft during flight

lqTi0S7.jpg

Our radar indicates our flight path past the Shetlands and Faroer Islands

Ubs1G40.jpg

jKrUvex.jpg

lEBq3mm.jpg

Not having much to do above the ocean, I thought I'd perform a lightbulb check of the cockpit instrumentation. My guess is that it beats the lighting of your Christmas Tree!

K8fNu8A.jpg

W0pV5Fy.jpg

dZCJAzK.jpg

1hZtIY0.jpg

If you look carefully you can see the outline of part of the Faroer Islands. We are flying approximately 80 nautical miles north of the island group

m4H8TZ8.jpg

GD2ohVb.jpg

External views of our aircraft

TDC09vh.jpg

onkego3.jpg

At this time my PC had crashed for a second time. Hopefully with the new "ChasePlane" edition, I will at some stage complete the entire flight.

Have tested it on short-haul flights in the meantime.

Thanks for looking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users