• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

Have we decided on the which versions of the new Lightroom systems that we are use?

Me: at the moment both!  -_-

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

Me classic.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:57 PM

To my last dying breath... no Adobe products if and when I can help it. ;)

Signature_Line_V4

#4 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

Hey art which PP do you use. this LR and PS cost me every month, 

Edited by CaseyJM, 28 October 2017 - 07:11 AM.

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#5 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:56 AM

Im using LR6 since I have it as a perpetual license and my CC runs out in a month. I reinstalled Photoshop CS6 which can still run on High Sierra but Im looking to find a good alternative. The new DXO looks good but its missing some nice features. The others dont impress me on their raw conversion or speed.

#6 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

For us Mac guys I am looking at Affinity. I am told it does some good things.

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

Im using classic on the desktop and CC on the iPhone/iPad. Am looking at alternatives just in case adobe drops the desktop. I also have the stand alone, just havent used it. I just dont trust adobe anymore. You cant take them at their word.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

Im using classic on the desktop and CC on the iPhone/iPad. Am looking at alternatives just in case adobe drops the desktop. I also have the stand alone, just havent used it. I just dont trust adobe anymore. You cant take them at their word.

Same here...I do some shooting with my iPhone and will start doing selective with my iPad Pro. Lets us talk about our workflows since we both are using them. I hope that Adobe keeps the desktop unless our internet systems are gonna speed up more.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#9 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8350 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'm a Classic, I mean I'm using Classic.  Have two desktop machines and a laptop.  I switch activation between the laptop and one desktop, depending on my needs.  It is much faster than the last version.  I don't see a need for me to go to the cloud.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Im using LR6 since I have it as a perpetual license and my CC runs out in a month. I reinstalled Photoshop CS6 which can still run on High Sierra but Im looking to find a good alternative. The new DXO looks good but its missing some nice features. The others dont impress me on their raw conversion or speed.

DXO looks really complete but they dont support Fujis Xtrans sensor.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7300 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'm using Classic CC on my iMac and one Windows laptop. 

The new Lightroom CC auto-installed on my iPad, but I've never been big on using that for serious editing.  As long as I don't have to pay extra for it, it can live there.

Now that DxO has acquired the Nik Collection, I'm going to see what happens over the next few months.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

As it was before, and still is, only one catalog can be shared. So I have the desktop as the main catalog. I set whitch collection I want to share. I then can use the iPad to show clients. I can use the pencil to make any changes I might want to do.

Each collection that is shared, can be put up on a webpage. I used that option for events. I did this to the last wedding I did, and folks picked what they wanted a copy. They also left notes if they wanted a different crop. All the picks shows up in all the LR. So, I can keep track on my phone on how things are going.

There is another way, although I have not tried it yet because I dont have all the bits yet. I can shoot portraits tethered, have it show up in the iPad. Show the client, it helps with posing. And it can show up on the desktop. But, I rather use a laptop to store the raw files.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#13 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

DXO looks really complete but they dont support Fujis Xtrans sensor.

Jim

yeah, that is also a bummer. I have several years worth of Fuji files even though I dont shoot Fuji any longer.

#14 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

has any one tried phase one 10 and if so do you like dislike, and what problems do you have on Mac

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 

#15 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

I've tried it. It works well but it's far more expensive. It updates yearly so they'll have Capture1 11 out in December. So $300/yr for Capture1 and that's pretty steep. If you like Apple's Aperture then C1's catalog structure will feel natural. If you don't like that project based approach then you'll find C1's structure woefully lacking. Also it's a myth that it renders better than Lightroom. You can get the same results -- it's just that C1 starts closer to a finished point with a pre-set tone curve and more aggressive sharpening. It's a good alternative with better tethering but I think it's a costly way to go.

#16 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I've tried it. It works well but it's far more expensive. It updates yearly so they'll have Capture1 11 out in December. So $300/yr for Capture1 and that's pretty steep. If you like Apple's Aperture then C1's catalog structure will feel natural. If you don't like that project based approach then you'll find C1's structure woefully lacking. Also it's a myth that it renders better than Lightroom. You can get the same results -- it's just that C1 starts closer to a finished point with a pre-set tone curve and more aggressive sharpening. It's a good alternative with better tethering but I think it's a costly way to go.

thanks for the update NWCS, you read the reviews and they sound awesome, it nice to see you compare it to aperture as thats what i started with. Again thanks

#17 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7300 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the information.  I was very interested in it's ability to let users operate the camera remotely via tether.  Finally concluded that while LR has much more limited tethering ability, for now, it's all I need.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#18 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

thanks for the update NWCS, you read the reviews and they sound awesome, it nice to see you compare it to aperture as thats what i started with. Again thanks

Agree..

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#19 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Up top my ears in LR C and CC learning..taking a break and gonna try Capture One..

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#20 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23643 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

I'm learning Macphun it is really cool a cross between Lr and Photoshop since it does sliders and layers. Will keep using Lr Classic though it has really improved speed wise.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#21 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:37 AM

Okay, too used to the LR methods and flow...after testing several, gonna set my eyes and brain on Affinity as I can use it with my iPad Pro.. it does layers as well. :rolleyes: .

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#22 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

After looking at this, I'm staying with Classic. If I get to a point where cloud access is critical, I'll add CC. Anyone know how much it costs to add CC to the package? I'm not giving up Classic.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#23 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

If you have the photographer's package, it includes LR classic and;

1) Without photoshop: Then the plan includes CC with 1TB of cloud storage for the same price you have been paying.

2) With photoshop: Then the plan includes CC with 20gig of cloud storage for the same price you have been paying.

CC is included in the photographer's package at $10/month.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#24 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

If you have the photographer's package, it includes LR classic and;

1) Without photoshop: Then the plan includes CC with 1TB of cloud storage for the same price you have been paying.

2) With photoshop: Then the plan includes CC with 20gig of cloud storage for the same price you have been paying.

CC is included in the photographer's package at $10/month.

Thank you...I have the one with LRski and Photoshopper.. :)

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users