• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22174 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

The last time I was out with some Photog friends, I ran into a guy with a Nikon D810.  He had this battery in his MB-D12 grip:

Attached File  NikonEN-EL18A.jpg   339.59KB   0 downloads

It is NOT a Nikon Battery.  It is a DSTE EN-EL18A 3900mAh Full-Coded Battery Pack for Nikon D800 / D800E MB-D12 Grip for $56 SHIPPED to your HOUSE in Canada!!

I have talked about DX.com on PN before as I have ordered items from them in the past.  Long shipping time but the stuff they send is nice quality for the price.

Go to the Website and check this out.  In the past, I have warned a lot of people about not putting garbage batteries in their grips.  This battery seems to be fairly good quality from my experience holding it.  See pic above.  They guy who owns it has had very good results with it, lasts a long time and he is pleased with his purchase!

Plus, it is a fraction of the Nikon battery, in terms of price.  $229.95

http://en.nikon.ca/n...on-battery.html

Nikon battery is:

Lithium Ion 22

10.8 V 2.5 Ah

27Wh

Made in China

Note, B+H sells these for $129US - free shipping to Canada!

http://www.bhphotovi...on_battery.html

--------------------------------------------------

The DX.com DSTE Battery is:

Lithium Ion

11.1 V 3.9 Ah

43.3 Wh

Made in China

http://www.dx.com/p/...88#.VhQKPtbQXJA

Features:

Other Features EN-EL18A Battery's Introduction: Capacity: 3900mAh; Voltage: 11.1V; Full coded version: Can show Battery icon in Camera LCD; Has overcharge, short circuit and overcurrent and overheat protection; 100% green environmental friendly, Not include Cd HgPb heavy metal; Notice: This battery only can use in DSTE and original camera grip.

Certification:

RoHS <----------- [Don't give these away.  Not familiar with the rest.... - Art ]

CC

FCC

CE

FCC

TUV

MSDS

EM

Thinking of ordering it simply because I saw it and the guy who showed it to me raved about it.

For USA.... Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.co...2/dp/B00N0E5KZI

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7586 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Art ...good report.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:18 PM

You're welcome, Peter.

Signature_Line_V4

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15827 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

hmmm.. I wonder if they have the D4 battery.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

Good to know....will check for a Der 605 version. B-)

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24111 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Good info! I have plenty of D605 batteries but might need a few for my Oly! :D

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

I don't know, what you should do is research a battery, maybe on Amazon, then search DX.  By my estimates. DX.com has the best prices and include shipping.

Just the Battery, on Amazon, was almost DOUBLE for me without the chargers!

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

All depends on your need I guess,

I bought my second EN-EL18a battery for the D4s from B&H for $129 USD

Admittedly, they are only 10.8V  2500mAh 27W but takes zillions of images

Cell parts come from China and the completed process is in Japan

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

hmmm.. I wonder if they have the D4 battery.

Dennis,

I found this link, but I know NOTHING about this battery..... $40 US

http://www.dx.com/p/...57#.VhRbFtbQXJA

There is also an inexpensive charge for it.... $47 US

http://www.dx.com/p/...04#.VhRbwNbQXJA

Two batteries ($80 and Charger ...$47 = $127 US shipped to your door) and CHEAPER than the Nikon (1) Battery for $129 US at B+H.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:51 PM

If I bought the Nikon Battery locally, it would cost me.... $229 x 1.13 (tax) = $ 258.77 CDN and I assume, I would still need the charger!  I just checked the price at a LCS.

My order from DX.com is SHIPPED FREE! I might (almost never get charged at these lower amounts) have to pay tax, but if I do, it will be an additional $7 + $5 from the post office.... $12.

$68 vs $259 + The same amount roughly for the Charger!  ZOOM ZOOM Nikon!

I will report back in about 30 days on how this works out and do a full review with photos.

Signature_Line_V4

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15827 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

Why would I need another charger? Not safe to use the Nikon charger?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

Why would I need another charger? Not safe to use the Nikon charger?

Hmmm, Dennis, these are things you have to research to be safe and sure.  I can't answer.

The kit I have ordered comes with its own charger, car or wall....

Signature_Line_V4

#13 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

I am leery of anything that is priced so much lower than the original.  In this case the DSTE EN-EL18A plus MB-D12 adapter with both a AC charger and a car charger cost less than many chargers alone.  The combined package price is 1/3rd of the Nikon EN-EL18A alone.

The Nikon EN-EL-18A is the battery for the D4 and D4S and with an adapter the MB-D12,  DSTE does not claim that their EN-EL18A can be used with the D4/D4S.  I'd feel better if the DSTE was applicable to all EN-EL18A uses. This tells me it's not really a EN-EL18A alternative even though it's label says it is.

John Ruskin supposedly wrote the following in 1928:

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.

I can't help thinking that this could apply to the DSTE EN-EL18A package.

I don't have a MB-D12 but I do have a D4, so I guess I not a customer anyway.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

Gary,

If I hadn't seen it, it would be zero on my list of priority purchases.  I was quite impressed with it.  And, the testimonial of a guy I see at the park all the time.  Unless there is a long term issue, it seems like a solid purchase.

Signature_Line_V4

#15 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

Gary,

If I hadn't seen it, it would be zero on my list of priority purchases.  I was quite impressed with it.  And, the testimonial of a guy I see at the park all the time.  Unless there is a long term issue, it seems like a solid purchase.

Fortunately the cost is low enough that possibly losing the gamble is not a big loss.  One of the reviews says "Level of the battery, doesnt show medium, it just jumps from full to almost no chargue."  That would bother me.

For me the lack of D4/D4S applicability keeps it off my list  The battery and the adapter for the MB-D12 are a single unit.  The D4 uses a different adapter so the DSTE won't fit in a D4.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Gary,

I don't think it is much of a gamble only because I actually saw the product.  That reduces the chance it will be a bust by a substantial amount.  I did my usual due diligence trying to find something really negative about the battery and I could find nothing, other than a post that you refer to.  I am not too worried about that.

I currently have:

2 EN-EL 15 Nikon batteries.

• 1 fits in the camera itself

• the other has a tray with the MB-D12 grip

1 AA Battery Tray

and now, this new one.

If it goes dead, I am more than covered with extra juice.  For $50 .... worth a shot.

Signature_Line_V4

#17 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24111 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:58 PM

I'm in tha camp of caution when it comes to batteries but seeing is believing and first hand reviews help.

If they have the Olympus battery cheap I might give it a try.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#18 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:23 AM

It might be safer to simply use 6AA rechargeable batteries. I have some eneloop batteries for backup (because they hold their charge) and a genuine Nikon battery in the grip that was half price from Amazon (not from a reseller) when I bought it.

I'm quite wary of third party lithium ion batteries myself.
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#19 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:02 AM

I am leery of anything that is priced so much lower than the original. 

Gary, remember we're talking about Nikon here; the company that sells, for instance, pennies worth pieces of plastic (lens and body caps) for ridiculous prices, when knock-offs work just as well for a fraction of the price. But I know a piece of plastic is pretty basic, we are talking about a battery. In the battery industry the prices on dx.com are not out of line with other LiPo batteries with similar specifications on other websites. The Radio Control industry has driven battery technology for the past 40 years, from NiCads to NiMH to LiPo, to the point where $50 can buy you a pretty decent battery these days. Nikon is just doing what they have always done - making most of their profit on accessories. But with some items they seem to get greedy.

Art, you should have no problem with that cell.

Peter

Edited by Peter, 09 October 2015 - 06:59 AM.

• Art likes this

#20 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:14 PM

Well, Peter, I am counting down the days, so you can be sure to get the full review after I have played with it for a week or two.  I will charge it, use it till it drains, then measure how long it takes to charge, then let you know.

Peter, Nikon is greedy? :lol: Who knew?!

Signature_Line_V4

#21 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hey Mr. Postman! :D

Lookie Lookie!

Attached File  Battery_1.jpg   370.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Battery_2.jpg   342.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Battery_3.jpg   389.23KB   0 downloads

I love the Chinese.  In the summer, I ordered some parts for my car, got this massive empty box and inside, 3 small boxes that would fit INSIDE what you see above... I think that cost me $40 to ship from American Muscle!!

This package cost me... NOTHING, the shipping was included in the price.  Unbelievable.

So, here it is, plugged in the Wall.... waiting to go!

Attached File  Battery_4.jpg   353.7KB   0 downloads

Keep you posted on how long it lasts, how much of a fps improvement I notice and if I think this was worth the $50.... TO MY DOOR!!

Right now, I have to say to Nikon Canada and their outrageously priced kit.....

Attached File  Not_Interested(850px).jpg   43.61KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#22 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Well, 40 minutes later.... GREEN LIGHT!!

Must have shipped partially charged.

Running to get my camera!

Attached File  Battery_5.jpg   331.02KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#23 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:05 AM

First impressions out of the box.

Nice quality.  No complaints for what I paid.

Took about a month to arrive, it was slightly delayed as it was refused as Air cargo.  It shipped from the Netherlands.  No idea how it actually got here.

Charged in 40 minutes.  Impressed with that.

I just put it in my camera, nice snug fit, no issues.

Shot in FX, same speed as regular Nikon batteries.

Shot in DX, noticeable difference in shutter speed.  Same as AA batteries.

Weight, acceptable.  About the same as the Nikon battery the camera comes with, can't feel any noticeable increase.

Lets see how long this holds a charge and lasts!

So far,

Attached File  IMPRESSED(850px).jpg   46.63KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#24 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24111 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

Looks good Art keep us updated! Shipped from the Netherlands hmm maybe Herman's secret Nikon inspection team intercepted it and partially charged it! :lol:

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#25 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:46 PM

You never know, Jim, you never know.  So I know have more battery power than I know what to do with.

I can safely say, I should never run out of juice! :)

I wish I could say the same for the money pouring out of my wallet.... <_<

Signature_Line_V4

#26 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:28 AM

I have shot close to 1600 images, I figure, and it is still not discharged 100%.  I have just pulled it out to recharge, just to see how long it takes.  Hopefully, it charges in the next hour before I go to bed.

Attached File  Battery_6a.jpg   546.59KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#27 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24111 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:32 AM

Looking good Art.

Jim

• Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#28 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22174 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Well, not sure how long it took this time.  It was over an hour and under 6 hours.  Fully charged and ready to go, again. :)

Signature_Line_V4

#29 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15827 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

sounds good.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users