• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22206 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

47th Street Photo in New York is selling Opteka 500mm Reflex lenses for NIkon with a 2x Teleconverter for $116.90 SHIPPED in the USA. I tried this out at a trade show, it is not a bad lens. Light + bright. I did not take any pictures with it however, but the samples they had in the booth were nice. This is a 28 day auction! :lol: Translation, lots available, Opteka isn't too far away from 27th Street and this is readily available. I think this is a good value, cheap with good reach. These lenses are not for the faint of heart. Check out my 500mm Nikon lens posts for an idea of what this type of lens can do. I also have moon shot samples easy enough to find. I paid mid-high $200s for my rig, lens and 2xTC (nikon). You have to love manual focus and a challenge as the lens isn't forgiving. However, the reach is impressive enough for the price! Best pictures are daytime, tripod, bright sunny day on objects that don't move too fast! Forget sports and fast moving birds, isn't happening unless you are some eagle-eyes focusing superstar! If you are lucky enough to live near a camera store that stocks any mirror reflex, bring your camera body and take some pics, go home and check them out to decide. I did this when I purchased mine. The sales rep came out in the parking lot and let me fire off shots to my hearts content. Go to this link to check it out. Remember, there are tons of these available and when the 28 days are up, I am sure another 28 days will replace it, no rush, make an informed purchase: http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_3666wt_1183 Opteka has a description page on this lens with a sample moon shot of exceptional quality here, along with some everyday, slightly higher prices!! ;) http://opteka.com/50063.aspx

Edited by Art, 19 September 2011 - 09:47 PM.

Signature_Line_V4

#2 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3614 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Wow Art, This post brings back memories. I had a Tamron 500 f8 back in the 70's. It was a pretty good lens, really. The bokeh donuts were distracting and there was no Photoshop then. (Well, I didn't know about it) But a shooter at the paper had a Vivitar Series 1 600 solid Cat. f8. It was short, compact, light weight and reasonably sharp for a mirror lens. They were made right. Depth of field is probably 6 inches.<G> If I ever see one around, it would be a temptation to get it. I think I can deal with the donuts now. Keep posting the deals you find. Thanks Here's the lens on a Pentax Phil

Attached Files

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users