• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21939 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:30 PM

Check these two images out.  I am on the fence on them.  I have been told by fellow photographers to START PANNING!

OK, I tried it with a 600mm lens!  Yikes, it is hard.  Will bring some other lenses tomorrow to try.

What do you think of these, they have any legs as photographs??

Attached File  Blur-1.jpg   341.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Blur-2.jpg   283.12KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10714 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 31 August 2019 - 01:40 AM

I personally think they're great, Art!

Perhaps you should try the 500 f/4 which is considerably lighter than the 600. May make your panning-life easier!

😃
  • Art likes this

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7940 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 31 August 2019 - 12:08 PM

Art, for this type of photography, I agree with your colleagues. 

Because I have never tried panning, I will simply that, if you are new to this, then it's an excellent first effort.  I've been told that while panning isn't hard to do, it requires considerable practice.  Kudos to you, for expanding your skill set!  :)   

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15759 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 31 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

What are the shooting settings?

I like the second one more that the first. In looking over them to figure out why I like#2, I noticed that the focus is off on the first. The second is in the right place, but it seems the DOF is narrow.

In my younger days, I shot hill climbs on film. Took me a bit to get the panning. I doubt I could pan well now without a bunch of practice. One thing I remember is to flow through even if you stopped shooting. That did help. I would expect now, with digital and shooting a D4/5, I would shoot throughout including the follow through.

These are great.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3542 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

Art, your subjects are probably in the wrong position for panning. Were you shooting on manual focus? Were you shooting on manual exposure?

For panning, I have found I have to eliminate everything but shutter speed. I prefer panning left to right, so I can see subject coming. I sort of pan from back of subject to front. 

I start at 1/60 on SS and go down from there. This was at 1/20th. I shot 72 photos to get the attached photo. Girl did not know I was shooting her. I found her mom and got permission to publish.

The big deal is have everything ready in your camera and in your head, when you begin. 

Attached Files

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21939 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

I was told all the rage at the track these days is 1/30s

So, I had AUTO ISO, f22 and away I went.  I think ISO automatically dropped to 100.

I tried it again today ... nada.  Used a 24-70 and it was a bust.  Bikes moving from right to left.  I had lots of room, couldn't even come close to what you have as a sample, Phil!

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21939 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, Herman, Mark, and Dennis.  I tried it again today, I am stubborn that way... nothing even close.  I like the Yellow Motorcycle shot, myself, but I didn't even come near that today with a small lens.  My thinking was, got to a manageable lens and see what happens.  Nothing happened. :lol: My curiosity is now piqued... have to figure this out.

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7940 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

My curiosity is now piqued... have to figure this out.

Practice makes perfect.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21939 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

Practice makes perfect.  :)

That is what they tell me ... I need someone to show me ... might speed the process up! :)

Signature_Line_V4

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24069 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

I like them Art!!!!!
  • Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

Find some seaguls and practice on them. That’s how I learned to pan. The suckers are everywhere in my area. Jeff
[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15759 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

There are two motions in play here. Showing motion outside the subject. Showing movement in the subject.

Pan to blur the background to show speed depends on how fast the subject is going. If the subject can go from point A to point B (pan range), lets say at 1/1000 of a second. Then you probably can go up to 1/125 and get great results.

I think that folks telling you 1/30 is to get the subject motion, tires spinning. Now you have more issues to consider, camera shake. You can help that by using a tripod, or better yet, monopod. That will help to stabilize the camera while following the subject.

Patrice the first one, as that can be hand held. Once you get the idea of panning to show speed/background blur. You can start to lower the shutter speed to get the tire blur.

Keep it simple and youll get there. You can practice shooting freeway traffic to get the pan down.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#13 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3542 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:00 AM

On the merry-go-round, I practiced a long time on getting the pan the same speed as the ride. THEN I began shooting the 72 frames. I think 1/125 is too fast...Dennis. 8-)

• Art likes this

#14 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10714 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:40 AM

If I'm not mistaken 1/80s is a great setting for this type of panning.

:)
  • Art likes this

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15759 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:34 AM

On the merry-go-round, I practiced a long time on getting the pan the same speed as the ride. THEN I began shooting the 72 frames. I think 1/125 is too fast...Dennis. 8-)

My point was, subject speed determines how high a shutter speed can go. In the example, the subject can cover a pan range in 1/1000 of a second. 1/125 would be a great shutter while still being hand held. It would not blur the tires, but that was the second part. A fast race car, motorcycle going 200 mph is going to hit that pan range pretty quickly. After some practice, you will blur the background at 1/125. If you want more or less background blur, you adjust the shutter speed.

It's easier to brake down the process in parts. The hard part to learn is the pan motion. For your merry go round, that is a different speed for the subject. For this example, I shot it at 1/10 of a second, but I didn't pan. I wanted the gal in the upper part to be clear, which was going around slower than where the guy was pushing the spinner thing. I know I said I'm out of practice. If I had to shoot racing, that is how I would start. Get the pan and background blur to the point that I liked, and worry about the tire blur later.

Attached File  _DJS0442.jpg   100.77KB   0 downloads

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#16 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

Art

You may of read or heard these already, but a few recommendations and suggestions on panning technique.

• Hold your upper body still/rigid, tuck your elbows in and rotate at your hips.
  • Start tracking the subject before releasing the shutter and continue after the shutter has closed.  This helps avoid any jerks in the camera motion while the shutter is open.
  • The shutter speed should be one that gives the desired amount of blur in the background.    The "best" shutter speed would be higher for bikes at max speed at the end of a straightaway that at the apex of a tight corner.
  • Ideally the subject would be moving perpendicular to your line of sight at the middle of the pan.  If the subject is coming toward you or going away from you, you could get blurring of your subject due to focus distance changing during the exposure.
  • Focus on the most important part of the subject.  In your case this would probably be the head of the cyclist.  I think I would use an AF continuous mode, starting the panning enough before shutter release to allow the focus tracking to lock in.  Manual focus set from previous cyclists may work as well.

As previously suggested 600mm may difficult to handle.  Most of my panning experience is many years back shooting sports cars on slide film with a 300/4 MF.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#17 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21939 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

OK, these are all good tips.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I may get one more kick at the can on this on Sept 22.  I have been invited by a Motorcycle Association to visit their track on the last day.  Was even offered a ride around the track, weather permitting at the end of the day! BOOOYA!

Because this is a smaller track, I may be able to use a much smaller, lighter lens that would allow me to try some of the things suggested here.  I will keep you posted on any new developments on this. In the meantime, I may try panning on simple things like Seagulls as Jeff suggested just to get some practice in.

Signature_Line_V4

#18 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3542 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:46 AM

Gary, YES...those are right on the money.

• Art likes this

#19 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4340 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:54 AM

Absolutely awesome, Art!!
  • Art likes this
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#20 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21939 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Thanks, Don.

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users