16 replies to this topic

#1 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

Here are a few pictures I took last week with the 300mm f/2.8 AIS MF lens. It's a very fast lens and worked well in low light. I used it on a tripod and glad I did. That's how I'll use it from now on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7065 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

Really excellent results there TeeCee, you and that lens work very well together, very sharp great colours. Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23648 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:18 AM

Nice color and sharpness not overdone and life like. TeeCee, some do not look into MF lens but I love the 500 MF Ai-P it just takes a minute to get back in tha habit of being your own AF-S lens and yes these monsters need a tripod or monopod. Love the first shot, the only bummer on the second one is the darn stick that is not all the way blurred out on the right. Thats the funny thing about wildlife they do not always stand where you want them to. I like the third but for some reason my eye doesn't follow it maybe the shiney water but the first one just pops out for me and even the stick on the second one doesn't take away to much from the color and softness of the feathers(something on this one I love the color and sharpness/softness good balance), I can feel the feathers on that one, sharp but not to the point of loosing the softness of a bird. The last one's pose is stunning I am assunimg it is drying its feathers? TeeCee what body are you using? I got the Ai-P that meters with my D80 but the 300 2.8 is AiS and will not. My only regret on the D80, I think there is another long highspeed Ai-P lens but can't remember. Great stuff keep them comming with that 300 MF Nikkor!! Jim Edited, I keep coming back to the first one and the pose looks like he is saying take a shot of me I am one hip bird! JP

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

Beautiful shots TeeCee! What is the first one? I am not up on American birds. It is pin sharp but looks like a web-footed Emu having a bad hair day! I agree with Jim about the second shot, is it not possible to clone out the "stick" in post processing? Obviously these things are going to shelter behind as much vegetation as possible for safety not pose for photographers. Bit like the TV wildlife shows trying to film monkey's up among the leaves. The quality of the pictures is outstanding. Everybody keeps telling me a 400mm is the shortest practical for birds when I enquire, so you must have got pretty close? Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#5 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • Interests:Nature, wildlife and macro photography, reading, hiking, backpacking, camping, dog and bird training

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Gaye, once again, these are lovely images. You do spectacularly with that MF! I love the first shot....yes the feathers have a soft and touchable look. The third is busy in my opinion, but no less attractive. Great work.
{any and all comments are welcome}

~Karen

#6 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7048 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

I really like the anhingas Gaye. I like the setting of the first one a lot.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#7 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

[quote name='Wheatsack' post='22263' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:17 PM']
Really excellent results there TeeCee, you and that lens work very well together, very sharp great colours.
Peter
[/quote]

Hi Peter,
Thank you very much. I definitely like the lens. I didn't think I had any keepers that day so I was very surprised...and attribute it to the good lens.

[quote name='TCrowe' post='22264' date='Mar 7 2007, 11:21 PM']
What was your focal length on the 1st vs the 2nd and 3rd photo. The photos are sharp, as has been said. I think you could have used a larger aperture on the 2nd and 3rd to take away the BG and enhance the subjects. Just my opinion. Despite my thinking on aperture these are really nice shots.
[/quote]

Hi Tony,
Each picture was at 300mm but I did crop the pictures a bit when processing. Not a great deal but some..
And I definitely agree about the larger aperture for the second and third. The sun was so bright that I used a smaller aperture but could in the future will consider the aperture more in my picture taking.

I find it's hard to remember all the details..I always seem to forget something. That's what makes it so challenging I guess ;)

Thanks again,
Gaye

[quote name='james23p' post='22269' date='Mar 8 2007, 04:18 AM']
Nice color and sharpness not overdone and life like. TeeCee, some do not look into MF lens but I love the 500 MF Ai-P it just takes a minute to get back in tha habit of being your own AF-S lens and yes these monsters need a tripod or monopod.

Love the first shot, the only bummer on the second one is the darn stick that is not all the way blurred out on the right. Thats the funny thing about wildlife they do not always stand where you want them to. I like the third but for some reason my eye doesn't follow it maybe the shiney water but the first one just pops out for me and even the stick on the second one doesn't take away to much from the color and softness of the feathers(something on this one I love the color and sharpness/softness good balance), I can feel the feathers on that one, sharp but not to the point of loosing the softness of a bird. The last one's pose is stunning I am assunimg it is drying its feathers?

TeeCee what body are you using? I got the Ai-P that meters with my D80 but the 300 2.8 is AiS and will not. My only regret on the D80, I think there is another long highspeed Ai-P lens but can't remember.

Great stuff keep them comming with that 300 MF Nikkor!! Jim

Edited, I keep coming back to the first one and the pose looks like he is saying take a shot of me I am one hip bird! JP
[/quote]

James,
I had the 500P and sold it because I thought it was too big for me..but it wasn't and I'm sorry now that I sold it. So got the 300 2.8 AIS MF lens and it's definitely a winner.

I used the tripod and now am wondering if I can hold it still enough with a monopod. I'll try it..But I really think the tripod is the only way to do it unless very,very steady.

And about that stick. I'm going to try to clone it out. Sometimes my cloning looks worse than the stick but it does need to come out.

I agree about the third one. I hesitated to even put it on this thread. It's just too busy for me. I think a larger aperture would have worked well with that bird also because it would have blurred the background.

I used the D2X for these pictures. It works fine with the MF lenses......and also the D200 works fine.

Is there another P lens? I only know of the 45P and the 500P... now I'm curious.

Also, the first bird is my favorite. The more I look at him the funnier he gets...but then I see his webbed foot and it does look like he's lost part of it.. what do you think? Maybe a gator took a bite..hope not.

Thanks much,
Gaye

[quote name='Dave Whiteley' post='22298' date='Mar 8 2007, 08:48 AM']
Beautiful shots TeeCee!

What is the first one? I am not up on American birds. It is pin sharp but looks like a web-footed Emu having a bad hair day!

I agree with Jim about the second shot, is it not possible to clone out the "stick" in post processing? Obviously these things are going to shelter behind as much vegetation as possible for safety not pose for photographers. Bit like the TV wildlife shows trying to film monkey's up among the leaves.

The quality of the pictures is outstanding. Everybody keeps telling me a 400mm is the shortest practical for birds when I enquire, so you must have got pretty close?

Dave Whiteley
[/quote]

Hi Dave,
That first bird is an Anhinga. They are all over our area here in Florida. They go under the water and then have to dry their wings when they come up.

I caught the third picture of an Anhinga while he was doing a big drying job...interesting pattern that mother nature has given them to show off while they're drying.

And definitely I'm going to try to clone out that stick. It would look much better.

I was about 40-45 feet away the first ANhinga and probably 50-55 feet away from the third picture.. The second picture of the Little Blue Heron was one I caught while it was walking along the shore...I was about 30 feet away from that one.

Now I'm interested in putting a TC on this lens but don't want to lose too much light.
It works so well as an f/2.8.

Thanks,
Gaye

[quote name='Karen' post='22303' date='Mar 8 2007, 09:12 AM']
Gaye, once again, these are lovely images. You do spectacularly with that MF! I love the first shot....yes the feathers have a soft and touchable look. The third is busy in my opinion, but no less attractive. Great work.
[/quote]

Hi Karen,

I appreciate your nice comments. That third picture is very busy and I'm going to be more careful next time I take a picture like that...I'm going to open my aperture so the background is blurred. That would have helped this picture a great deal.

Thanks very much!

Gaye

[quote name='Ron W' post='22304' date='Mar 8 2007, 09:15 AM']
I really like the anhingas Gaye. I like the setting of the first one a lot.
[/quote]

Hi Ron,

Just never know what we'll find at Lakes Park... I thought this bird was too much in the shade and didn't expect to have this picture. Sure surprised me and also know it's the lens that did it......

Thanks,
Gaye

#8 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

Very nice job with that MF lens. Shooting long MF lenses separates the men from the boys... errr and the women from the little girls too :lol: You don't seem to need it but you may find a Katz Eye screen helpful. Regards, Neil

#9 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

Very nice job with that MF lens. Shooting long MF lenses separates the men from the boys... errr and the women from the little girls too :lol:

You don't seem to need it but you may find a Katz Eye screen helpful.

Regards,
Neil

Neil,
Thanks for the good comments. I enjoyed reading them very much... AND I do have a Katz Eye sitting right here in front of me.. I don't have a clue how to install it. In fact I'm looking at two of them..one for each of my cameras........so I'll get busy and try to figure them out.

Thanks for the 'push' in that direction. I had forgotten about them when I didn't know how to use them..but will find out now for sure.

#10 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

TeeCee, which bodies are getting the Katz Eyes?

#11 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23648 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:17 AM

TeeCee as far as the foot missing on the first one this doesn't detract at all, I find the first one to be perfect, he has attitude and you captured it in all the detail any photographer could ask! Wonderful shot it is a wall hanger!!! On the third one yea I agree a large aperture might have toned the water and reflection out but if every photo we took was perfect, well things would get boring, nice job! Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

TeeCee, which bodies are getting the Katz Eyes?

Hi Neil,

The D2X and D200. Thanks,
Gaye

TeeCee as far as the foot missing on the first one this doesn't detract at all, I find the first one to be perfect, he has attitude and you captured it in all the detail any photographer could ask! Wonderful shot it is a wall hanger!!!

On the third one yea I agree a large aperture might have toned the water and reflection out but if every photo we took was perfect we things would get boring, nice job! Jim

Jim,
You just made my day...thanks and thoughtful comments ..I appreciate them very much,

Gaye

#13 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

No one ever asks how many shots to get the one you want. So, I'll ask you. Dee-Dah Dee...OK, how many shots did it take for you to get the ones you wanted and were happy with? The few times I have taken wildlife shots I consumed rolls of film (been a while).

Hi Tony,

Interesting that you should ask because that's been on my mind lately. For the Anhinga picture I took four shots of him and got two good ones.

However that day I took a bunch of shots because I was with someone who pointed out everything and anything to take a picture of.. so I kept firing away. That's the beauty of digital. It doesn't cost anything to take the pictures and so easy to delete...so nothing to lose...

That day I think I got about 15 good ones and probably took 50 pictures. When I left to go home I thought I hadn't gotten any good ones...so was totally surprised to find them.

That's a good question that you asked. Yesterday I went out with my 70-300VR lens and took perhaps 150 pictures... Again, I was with someone and we were out there shooting every bird we saw at four different locations. My keeper rate is high from what I've seen so far. I'll get busy on those soon.

Best to you,

Gaye

Here are three more I got that day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TeeCee, 10 March 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#14 Adri H

Adri H

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:Women, Mountainbiking, Photography, Wolves and any combination thereoff.

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Very crisp shots. The birds really jump out. Nice work :D
Nikon EM - F801S - D2X and some fast Nikkors

#15 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:32 PM

Very crisp shots. The birds really jump out.
Nice work :D

Adri H,

Thank you very much for the nice comments. It's nice to have comments like yours.

Gaye

#16 Louis Champan

Louis Champan

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

Nice shots, the 300mm is one of the finest lens around optically. Louie

#17 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:46 AM

Nice shots, the 300mm is one of the finest lens around optically.

Louie

Hi Louie,
Thanks very much!
I am more and more impressed with the lens. I really didn't know how good it would be when I got it used several months ago. It has taken my be surprise and it's now high on my list. In fact it's easy to carry and use. I thought I'd have trouble with the manual focus but it's as easy as pie--even for me :)

Thanks again,
Gaye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users