17 replies to this topic

#1 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

I recently went to the Burrowing Owl sites in Cape Coral. Here are some I got of the little creatures. They're only about 8-10 inches tall and very cute. Attached File  3255_Burrowing_Owl_Closeup_200_VR_D2X.jpg   572.89KB   15 downloads Attached File  2_5_07_3233_BurrowingOwls_profile_200VR_D2X.jpg   598.55KB   18 downloads Attached File  2_5_07_D2x3248_200VR_watching_you_and_you.jpg   413.62KB   16 downloads

Edited by TeeCee, 07 February 2007 - 09:05 PM.

#2 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • Interests:Nature, wildlife and macro photography, reading, hiking, backpacking, camping, dog and bird training

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

Beautiful, Gaye! I love those eyes!
{any and all comments are welcome}

~Karen

#3 darin d.

darin d.

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts
  • Interests: photography of any kind, using photos for<br />business card, greeting card, brochures...<br />trying to start business, f/stop images.<br />i've been a roofer for 20 yrs here in az,<br />my brain is cooked, i need a job doing something<br />i really love... photography

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:27 AM

Gaye, These are just excellent images, I like each one alot, the sharpness and color are great, and the comp of each is very cool... Nice work... ;)

#4 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:19 AM

Hi TeeCee, really cool shots you present here - congrats! How much pp was involved and is it my screen or do i see an overall brownish colour-cast?
Cheers

Virgil

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:41 AM

Gaye, Was that the 200mm f/2.0?? Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:42 AM

Again great pictures Gaye! Certainly the eyes have it in number one, and central framing certainly works in this case. The only crop I would make is on the second one is to bring the left hand side in a bit to get rid of that whitish out of focus highlight about 1/3rd down from the top. I was intrigued by the catch lights in the eyes of the head of the owl at the bottom of the second shot because it looks like a reflection of a ring flash in them. Then I realised they are slightly out of focus, because your focus is on the main subject and they are "gallstones" caused by highlights being slightly out of focus. You obviously did not have the depth of field at that aperture and range to get both the main subject and the secondary one pin sharp. I think it works however, because you tend to concentrate on your main subject and not get distracted so much by the secondary one. Wish my pics turned out like those! All the best, Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#7 quicksilver02

quicksilver02

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Nature, Fishing, Hunting

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

Gaye, These are really wonderful images. It appears that these guys are very approachable! How close were you able to get to them? Thanks for sharing, Lee

#8 Van Hilliard

Van Hilliard

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography, sports including bicycling, hammer and heavy weight throw, music

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Outstanding, Gaye. I especially like the first one. What was the site for that one?

#9 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

[quote name='Karen' post='18305' date='Feb 7 2007, 09:03 PM']
Beautiful, Gaye! I love those eyes!
[/quote]

Karen,

Those eyes are wonderful to see. And thanks for commenting about the photos and the eyes. I enjoyed every minute of taking and processing these shots.

Thanks again,

Gaye

[quote name='darin d.' post='18339' date='Feb 8 2007, 12:27 AM']
Gaye,
These are just excellent images, I like each one
alot, the sharpness and color are great, and the
comp of each is very cool...
Nice work... ;)
[/quote]

Darin, Thank you very much. You make me feel good with your nice comments!

[quote name='Virgil' post='18353' date='Feb 8 2007, 01:19 AM']
Hi TeeCee,

really cool shots you present here - congrats! How much pp was involved and is it my screen or do i see an overall brownish colour-cast?
[/quote]

Hi Virgil,
I didn't do much post processing. I run them through Capture quickly and then ini PSCS2 I use a filter called 20/20 Color MD. I like it lots and it saves much time. It's made by 'Phototune'. They also have a great one called SKINTUNE.

You mention the brown......the day was very grey and the area was totally brown , kind of dead brown-tan overall color...so the pictures have more color than I expected. The brown cast is really what was there :-)

And thanks very much for your thoughtful remarks,
Gaye

[quote name='justshootit' post='18358' date='Feb 8 2007, 02:41 AM']
Gaye,

Was that the 200mm f/2.0??

Don
[/quote]

Hi Don,
Yes, I used the 200mm f/2 VR lens with the D2X. That lens is incredible. I tend to use it lots just because of the qualtiy of the pictures...so sharp and so presentable. I didn't use any TC ..

Many thanks!

Gaye

[quote name='Dave Whiteley' post='18370' date='Feb 8 2007, 04:42 AM']
Again great pictures Gaye!

Certainly the eyes have it in number one, and central framing certainly works in this case.

The only crop I would make is on the second one is to bring the left hand side in a bit to get rid of that whitish out of focus highlight about 1/3rd down from the top.

I was intrigued by the catch lights in the eyes of the head of the owl at the bottom of the second shot because it looks like a reflection of a ring flash in them. Then I realised they are slightly out of focus, because your focus is on the main subject and they are "gallstones" caused by highlights being slightly out of focus. You obviously did not have the depth of field at that aperture and range to get both the main subject and the secondary one pin sharp. I think it works however, because you tend to concentrate on your main subject and not get distracted so much by the secondary one.

Wish my pics turned out like those!

All the best,

Dave Whiteley
[/quote]

Hi Dave,
Thanks very much for stopping to make such considerate comments. I never saw that whitish, out of focus highlight.....I could have used the clone tool in CS2 to get rid of that. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

And that was my feeling also about the little out of focus one in front. I wanted to concentrate on the one above and that did accomplish that. Everytime I look at that picture I have wondered about that but have decided it's best as is.........I think the DOF can play a huge part in the pictures..and has to be considered when taking them. That's what I intended but questioned it afterwards for awhile..not now though.

Thank you very much,
Gaye

[quote name='quicksilver02' post='18401' date='Feb 8 2007, 09:00 AM']
Gaye,
These are really wonderful images.

It appears that these guys are very approachable! How close were you able to get to them?

Thanks for sharing,
Lee
[/quote]

Hi Lee,
I figured someone would ask that. These little, tiny creatures are over at the Cape Coral Public Library in Cape Coral Florida. Their burrows are roped off and they live totally in the ground. At first I didn't see any owls so walked over to one of the burrows just to see what the hole looked like and WOW, these two little ones were standing there...that gives you an idea of how small they are. And I could stand about 15 -20 feet away from them and get their pictures..there were weeds in front of them so had to figure out how to work around the weeds... They are delightful little birds and I hope to go back soon. I understand they're in many areas of Cape Coral. There should be some websites telling about them too.

Thanks much,
Gaye

[quote name='Van Hilliard' post='18408' date='Feb 8 2007, 09:09 AM']
Outstanding, Gaye. I especially like the first one. What was the site for that one?
[/quote]

Hi Van,
I found these little guys at the Cape Coral Public Library in Cape Coral, Florida. I met Ron W there. I'd never been there before so seeing the owls was a first for me. What wonderful little birds too.... I enjoyed every minute of it except it happened to be extremely cold that morning--it was awfully grey and complete cloud cover too.. We are very spoiled here in Florida :-)

My plan is to get back over there as soon as possible.

I appreciate you nice comment very much!

Gaye

#10 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

Did you use the 200 AF-S VR f2.0 nikkor? These are wonderful and live at the library what a wonderful treat. Something I would enjoy seeing in person. My daughter made me see the movie they are the cutest things. Great pics Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

Did you use the 200 AF-S VR f2.0 nikkor? These are wonderful and live at the library what a wonderful treat. Something I would enjoy seeing in person. My daughter made me see the movie they are the cutest things. Great pics Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, I did use that super lens, 200 AF-S f2.0 Nikkor. It's a fantastic lens and I am very happy with it. In fact I have trouble not taking it wherever I go. It's VR so I can handhold it but after awhile like to put it on the tripod. It's just a great lens in my estimation.

I had never seen the owls before so it was a total treat for me. I hope you get to see them someday.

I have had people ask me why they live at the library and I say 'its because they like to read'....and they really do look very wise and wonderful :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

Best to you,
Gaye

#12 Van Hilliard

Van Hilliard

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography, sports including bicycling, hammer and heavy weight throw, music

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

Even though I commented before, I just went back and looked at your photos again. I hope you take that as the compliment I mean it to be.

#13 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23643 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

My only regret is now I have another lens I really want but I think my 180 2.8 AF-D will have to do. Again these are perfect the eye's are stunning. Maybe they feed on bookworms, oh that was so bad I have to leave it. :wacko: :D Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#14 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

Even though I commented before, I just went back and looked at your photos again. I hope you take that as the compliment I mean it to be.

Van, I absolutely take it as a compliment... very much so. I have seen your lovely photographs and know your talent---

So I thank you very much and look forward to staying in touch,

Gaye

#15 Paul

Paul

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

These are AWSOME!!!! I'm going to have to check out that lens

#16 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

My only regret is now I have another lens I really want but I think my 180 2.8 AF-D will have to do. Again these are perfect the eye's are stunning. Maybe they feed on bookworms, oh that was so bad I have to leave it. :wacko: :D Jim

Hi Jim,

This lens has knocked my sox off and I never expected it to be as nice as it is. I particularly like the VR.

The fact that I can grab it and run to the scene and handhold it is exactly what I wanted.

I have done that on occasion over at Ding Darling. I keep my lens on the camera and when I drive up may find many birds waiting for me :)

That's when I have to grab it and start shooting. Usually I keep the 1.4TC on it for those occasions...and also the 2.0 works well..the 1.7TC doesn't do a good job.

I've never had the 2.0 work on other lenses but it does work fine on the 200VR... Another interesting tidbit for you ;)

Start that piggy bank and don't break it open until it's full :) and MANY THANKS AGAIN !!!

These are AWSOME!!!! I'm going to have to check out that lens

Paul, Thank you very much! I appreciate your nice comment. You will have to check out that lens...it's the best and I hope you eventually get it.

Thanks again and my best to you,
Gaye

#17 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Great stuff Gaye. These are as good as it gets. I just got home from a week's worth of bird shooting. Now I'm afraid to post my Burrowing Owl shots that we took together.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#18 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

Great stuff Gaye. These are as good as it gets. I just got home from a week's worth of bird shooting. Now I'm afraid to post my Burrowing Owl shots that we took together.

Hi Ron,

I'll bet you have hundreds to process and many to post. You know I'll be looking for them. AND thanks for great comment about my cute little owls. They really are the cutest things I've ever seen out there in the bird world ...so far anyway.

Gaye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users