Photo

LR Classic, Lr CC Classic or LR Classic CC? How is it going?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19354 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

Complaints, issues, workflow models???

What ya think?

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#2 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

I've been exceptionally busy over the past 6 weeks so I have not had much time for research and education.  That being said, I have edited more than 1500 photos from a couple of events in LR Classic.  The big issue I ran into was speed - and it is currently unresolved.  My workflow calls for ingest using Photo Mechanic, and that process is slower with the large files of the D850.  But the import to Lightroom is much slower than in the past due to rebuilding previews.  Export has been somewhat slow as well.

I don't think it's a computer issue.  I have 16 GB of RAM, and memory utilization is in the 3 GB range for Lightroom.  My computer is only 8 months old and while not a speed demon, is okay.

I'm going to need to figure out something.  Import and processing time is slow enough that it is taking 45 minutes to import 700 images.  

Edited by ericbowles, 10 November 2017 - 02:05 PM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#3 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8231 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:45 PM

I have installed it on three machines, (only two active at a time).  My work flow is straight into LR Classic. The images load quite quickly.  Speed is not a problem for me, my files don't compete in size with Eric's. (My D750 vs Eric's D850)  I expect that any system will be hard pressed to handle the D850 files for a while, due to their size.  But, as any new technology presses the limits there will be solutions created. My third system is only 6 Gig and has surprised me at how well it handles the files. 

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5296 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:57 AM

Haven't had much need to use the CC app on the Mac but the Classic version is s much faster you'd think it was a brand new bit of software. Imports are basically as fast as the reader will pull them in with the rendering being pretty much instantaneous whereas before they took quite some time to come in and you could watch each one 'tick' as it rendered my import settings. 

Basic processing is a little snappier but it has always been as I have a fast machine (4 GHz i7 - 32GB ram - 4GB GPU - M.2 SSD) but when I copy settings and paste them to large numbers of files they are noticeably quicker to apply and populate - handy for my star trail shots where I need to tweak a few hundred at once.

Exporting is fast but again it has always been fast as the SSD makes a HUGE difference to the read/write times .

Overall I'm happy with the update and for the file handling Library part alone the update has made a big difference.

Edited by Black Pearl, 11 November 2017 - 03:00 AM.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#5 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19354 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

When shooting with iPhone and D605..work load is split. iPhone work goes to Lightroom CC, D605 cammy stuff goes to Lightroom Classic CC.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users