• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

It's December and pretty much all over the world there is some sort of celebration going on. With the end of this year and the start of the new year, I wanted to say thank you for allowing me to interrupt your month with challenges that I hope you enjoyed. Next year, I will be talking a break and there will be a new person that will challenge your mind and skills. But, you will need to wait until next year to find out who your new challenger will be.

So, for this month, share your festivities. Bring a little from your part of the world to us to enjoy with you as well.

As always, any lens, any camera.

Attached Files

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:35 PM

Job VERY WELL DONE, Dennis. Thanks for making a very big effort. Enjoyed your time at the helm!

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7408 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:36 PM

Dennis, your successor has a big pair of shoes to fill.  Thank you and well done.  :)

I'll have some material for this challenge up in the next week or so.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7408 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

I hadn’t expected to post for the Planet Nikon December Challenge quite so quickly.  In keeping with the spirit of the season, the challenge is Xmas.  Anything goes, including any camera and lens.  Nice, I thought, but we were going to Victoria, to help Angela’s sister celebrate her 60th birthday; and I thought it would be awhile before we put up our Xmas decorations.

Fortunately for me, Angela got creative when it came to picking a way to celebrate.  Instead of a party, the three of us went to Butchart Gardens. 

Hmm…  I haven’t been there since my parents took me there when I was 14 years old.  Back then, going to Butchart Gardens was the last thing on a 14-year old’s “Do” list.  However, my aunt and uncle were visiting; and it was made clear to me that I didn’t have a choice.  :o  I remember thinking that I don’t like gardening; and that this trip would be as much fun as a trip to the Dentist.  Yuck!  :angry:

So, I raised my eye brows quite a bit when Angela suggested that we take her sister there, for her birthday.  They’re both gardeners, so the choice made sense for them.  Alas, I’m having a really good day if I can tell the difference between a daffodil and a dandelion.  :rolleyes:

To my pleasant surprise, I didn’t mind this latest visit.  I think exploring the place with a camera made some difference.  Also, my world perspective has changed quite a bit since then.

At this time of year, there simply isn’t as much greenery as there is at the height of summer.  So, I decided to focus on Xmas.  First conclusion:  ribbons are fun to photograph.

p201920205-6.jpg

These folks put a lot of effort into decorating and lighting the place for Xmas.  Their depiction of the 12 Days of Xmas is an example of thinking outside of the box at its best.  They did a first-class job on creating a Xmas them.  It looked like they enjoyed their work.  It would be very hard for visitors to NOT get some Xmas Spirit. 

Second conclusion:  the eight maids a-milking were a lot easier to photograph than the lords-a-leaping.  Unfortunately, their Lordships looked like one of those carnival target shooting games.

p12530617-6.jpg

Third conclusion:  while the remaining displays were very creative, full justice wouldn’t be done until the lights came on.  Unfortunately, our dinner plans required us to leave before that happened.  As an aside, the restaurant is just as expensive as ever. 

Lucky for me, the Gift Shop had a gift for me.  The nicely decorated Xmas tree gave me a great chance to do some macro photography.  Even better, Angela kept the shopping to a low roar!  Yay!

p484527091-6.jpg

p456148308-6.jpg

Looking back, would I go again?  Yes.  However, now that I’m cured of my long-standing dislike, I would do a bit of planning, to get even more photographs.

Thanks for looking, everyone.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:57 PM

Well done, beautful images.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:44 AM

Very well done, Mark. Some Pro grade images in the series that could easily be cards!!
Signature_Line_V4

#7 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1918 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

I don't put up a tree and decorations any more. This is a photo of my sister's house.

Attached File  Edited-in-Photoshop-110003-1.jpg   500.38KB   0 downloads

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

Very nice, your sister does a good job.
Signature_Line_V4

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7408 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Nice shot, Robin.  Kudos to you and your sister.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7408 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Many thanks for the kind words, Art and Dennis.  I really like that Sigma 105.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#11 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2529 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

Our Texas Christmas.

Attached Files

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#12 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10377 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

Wishing all Planateers a Merry Xmas...

Herman  :)

Attached Files

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:06 AM

Thank you, Herman and the same to you and your family!

Signature_Line_V4

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:29 AM

This year, Christmas for my immediate family is at my house.  Just to give you a small idea of what my wife does before hand... the stuff you see here just scratches the surface.  We have 6 large storage bins in the garage full of Christmas stuff to bring out. 

These were taken with my iPhone so excuse the exposure on some.

Dining Room is set

Attached File  IMG_9030.jpg   440.66KB   0 downloads

Trees are up.  We are one tree shy this year, the mother in law tree... don't ask.... just happy one less messy thing to deal with.

Attached File  IMG_9015.jpg   564.91KB   0 downloads

Fire Place...

Attached File  IMG_8986.jpg   506.39KB   0 downloads

Silly dog... got in the way and got decorated! :lol:

Attached File  IMG_8982.jpg   601.99KB   0 downloads

Small sample of the Snowman collection!

Attached File  IMG_8985.jpg   463.1KB   0 downloads

Poinsettias all over the house!

Attached File  IMG_9019.jpg   472.07KB   0 downloads

Front door wreath, taken at night, sorry for the bad exposure.

Attached File  IMG_8917.jpg   453.71KB   0 downloads

I will leave the FOOD EXPERIENCE to another post.  We are having Filet this year, BBQ'ed!  Not in the mood for 2 Turkey dinners this year.

From my Family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I hope 2017 brings many good things to all of you!

Signature_Line_V4

#15 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7408 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Xmas Day gave me another opportunity. While Angela and our son happily played the new word game that she got as a present, I was merrily snapping photographs of our Xmas tree ornaments. This ornament says it all.

p2157185374-6.jpg

Thanks for looking, everyone and best wishes for 2017.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users