9 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:50 AM

I'm hearing some great reports on the 24-70 f/4 S lens that was introduced for the Nikon Z cameras.  The image quality is great according to MTF charts with better sharpness in the center and all the way to the corners than the current f/2.8 lenses.  It's sharper across the frame at both 24mm and 70mm.  

The other interesting thing is that at 70mm the lens focuses at very close distance and is a near macro lens.  It focuses around 5 inches from the end of the lens - and maintains focus as you recompose (minimum focus distance 11.81 inches).  Stabilization in the body is a huge help for this close focus work.   I understand the Nikon rep indicated that Nikon will only consider a lens a "Macro" lens if it provides 1:1 focus, and this one is not that magnified at 1:3.3.  But it seems to do the job nicely.

The specs on the lens are pretty good.  It's 3.5 inches long with a 72mm filter size.  The weight is just 500 g - 1.1 pounds or about .75 pounds lighter than the 24-70 f/2.8 lenses.  The lens has 14 elements in 11 groups with 7 rounded aperture blades.  Several elements have Nano Crystal or Super Integrated coatings.  The control ring can be used for manual focus or to adjust aperture or exposure comp settings.

All in all, the kit lens is far more than a kit lens.  It's a high quality lens that you would want whatever your mount.  The person who tested this lens at Hunt's demo on the Z7 was planning to wait but changed their mind and placed an order.

Edited by ericbowles, 06 September 2018 - 10:06 AM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

I have been hearing the same about close focus abilities of this lens. While not a macro lens, like for insects and such, I expect that it would be great as a close for flowers and such, being able to get close and zoom in. I wish I had more time with it. I have high hopes this will be true. One could hike mountain alpins just have this lens and can shoot vistas and all sorts of alpine flower comps. get close to a set of paint brushes and use focus stacking for altimate DOF. Also, in these cases, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be 2.8 or better.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

Here is a link to Thom Hogan's review:

http://www.sansmirro...-f4-s-lens.html

The conclusion from Thom - "...this is an excellent kit lens." and "...when bundled with a Z6 or Z7 camera is a very modest US$600. At that price, this lens is a clear bargain."

I've been using the lens on the Z6 for about two weeks and it is excellent - sharp, easy to use, light, no significant optical issues - and probably as sharp or sharper than my Nikon 24-70 f/2.8.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

I have to agree. I used it on Cindys Z7 and my Z6, and its a great lens. I have been shooting with the 35/1.8 S for some Christmas shots, and thats a winner as well.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21440 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:39 PM

Very interesting review.

I am starting to wonder how this is all going to play out with the DSLR lenses.  The current F mount, 24-70 G VR is also an unbelievable lens. But substantially pricier.

I am already being filled with doubt on my next purchase. Do you stop investing in F mount?

Signature_Line_V4

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

Thats a good question. If I had not gotten the 200-500, I probably would have gotten the 500PF. Now, Ill just save. It will be awhile before Z mount 300/400/500/600 will appear. With a Z mount, a 300/2.8 or a 500/2.8 should be smaller. Then consider PF in Z mount. Rather exciting stuff.

Im thinking of selling my D lenses while the price is up.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21440 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:33 AM

Probably a good idea.

Signature_Line_V4

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23698 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:21 AM

It sure is a crossroads time for the F mount and Z mount. It will make some lens purchases more complicated for a few years ie do I buy or wait.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

I'm not sure we are at that crossroads yet.  The DSLR volume of cameras is so far beyond Z-Mount cameras that you can't sell enough volume to create specialty lenses.  And the optical advantage of wider and fast lenses is much less with long lenses.  I don't know what the numbers are, but if you have 50,000 Z cameras in the market, and you have 500,000 D850, D5, and D500 cameras in the market - which group is going to buy more 300mm f/2.8 lenses? 

I'm looking seriously at the 500 PF, but need to sell some stuff before that makes sense.  I do like the optical performance of the 24-70 S, and would consider adding the 50mm and maybe other lenses if a Z camera becomes my primary body.  Right now it's more a toe in the water with an eye toward future expansion.  There is nothing wrong with my F-mount camera and lenses, so I'm not looking to upgrade or replace much based on current needs.  Some focal lengths I have covered with 3-4 options and certainly don't need more gear without a compelling reason.

Now if I was less invested or really liked mirrorless in general, I would be shifting more aggressively to Z lenses and deferring F lenses.  

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21440 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:22 PM

Problem is, when do people start to doubt?

I have the luxury of being hesitant because I can't get a 500mm f5.6, for love or money until April, according to my "inside" contact.  It is going to cost me $5K.... that is a lot of dough, regardless on buying something that is already, really, obsolete. 

There is a fine line with manufacturing that doesn't necessarily follow  formula.  At some point, Z will take off in a much bigger way, and still not justify the bean-counter decision .... but, if you are in for a penny, you are in for a pound, and that decision will have to be made to avoid killing momentum at both ends.  The pressure of dropping sales vs the pressure of increasing sales in your Strategic Product!

When those two lines cross, Nikon will need to step up and fund the transition!

Signature_Line_V4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mirrorless, nikon, lens, auto-focus, af, macro, 24-70, S-lens

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users