• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Chasing lighthouses around Michigan and Ohio provides an opportunity to make photos of the landscape near and around them.  Whitefish Point has a working lighthouse "manned" by the U.S. Coast Guard, and the adjacent beach gathers a lot of driftwood.

Whitefish Point gained fame in 1975, when the ore carrier SS Edmund Fitzgerald sank with all hands, about 20 miles north of this area, during a ferocious early November storm.  Gordon Lightfoot wrote a song which immortalized the ship, its crew, and the "gales of November".  On this day, the waters were very calm, and the view extended for miles.

This is an Ektachrome slide scanned to a TIFF and then JPEG.  The camera was a Mamiya 645 Super.

Whitefish%20Point%20Breakwater%20Pilings

Best,

Dennis

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22183 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Nice and thanks for the info I knew of the wreck and the song but to be honest not sure I knew where it was other than the Lake Superior.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14039 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:26 PM

Cool shot.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

Very nice! I like that style of breakwater. The ones we have here in Lake Ontario are all concrete. When the tide is low, you can walk right out to them and walk along them.

Attached Files

Edited by JasonTO, 12 May 2017 - 02:29 AM.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18963 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:22 AM

Interesting image. I like the texture of the wood.

Jason,

I have never been on them, have to try it one day.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#6 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Art, the breakwaters are essentially coated with feces from gulls, mallards, terns, and cormorants and have an offensive pungent smell. 

#7 Frankt

Frankt

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Native American art and culture, Inuit carvings. into art history, architecture. passionate about automobiles. Once my profession,now as a hobby, I create scale auto models from clay, I have small collection of classic cars that I drive and show.
    love the out of doors, hunting,shooting, archery,observing nature.
    love to travel, experience different cultures.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

great shot. I like the angle of the pilings. Have been to Whitefish many times. a beautiful area in our state.

current camera:  Nikon D 7100, D 5100  my lenses:                 Tokina                2.8            11-16mm   DX II  
                                                                                        AF-S Nikkor DX   3.5-5.6      18-55mm   VR  
                                                                                        AF-S Nikkor DX   4.5-5.6      55-300mm VR
                                                                                        AF S Nikkor DX   1.8             35mm
                                                                                        AF S Nikkor DX   1.8             50mm

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod /  Vanguard SBH300 ball head  / Lee filter system
 Yongnuo 568EX speedlight Yongnuo 622N wireless flash trigger transciever/transmitter
Photoshop Elements 11, Lightroom 5.3 for processing

other cameras I own : Argus C3 / Minolta X 700 / Nikon Coolpix 8700.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users