Photo

Quick test of the Fuji 16-50 kit lens(rainy day)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23583 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

Well I know what this sensor can do so I wanted to try out the kit lens it came with and from a few snaps it is one of the best cheaper kit lens I have used.

Focal Range:

It is a useful wide angle of 16mm or 24 in 35mm FoV 50mm or 75mm in 35mm FoV.

Build

It is all plastic but not cheap feeling the zoom and MF focus ring all have a firm well dampened fell to them.  It is a nice feeling lens and balances well on the XM1. It has a plastic mount similar to the Nikon 18-55VR kit lens but the focus ring and zoom ring feels better than the Nikon.

AF

It is snappy and quick to lock on and real quiet. But I would not call it super fast I would say it is a tad bit better than most slow 3.5-5.6 standard zooms. Plus it is accurate it seems to lock on and usually what you are trying to lock on to. It has AF-S and Fuji calls it high-precision stepping motor I'm not sure but that might be the same as Nikons AF-P(the AF version)  it also sports OIS or VR.

OIS/VR

The VR/OIS is fairly good I would say around 2 to  2 1/2 stops at 50mm and 2 1/2 to 3 at 16mm (Fuji claims 3) stops but to be honest I think Nikon's VR(around 4 stops) is at least 1 1/2 stops better and I think Olympus IBIS is a stop better too. Now I am unsure of its different setting it has a few so I will have to experiment and all VR functions are handled thru the menu there is no lens based adjustments you have to use the quick menu. But I still think Nikon's VR is tops with Olympus a close second.

IQ

Ok this is where this baby shines I have read Fuji makes no bad lens not even the kit lens and this lens optically is fantastic. It is sharp at both 16mm and at 75mm. Color is good as is contrast and their is not a lot of distortion at least if you trust Lightroom and I do. There is very little light fall off but it does have some CA at 16mm at 3.5 but I was able to correct it in LR with little trouble. Overall it is optically better than the Nikon 18-55VR it maybe even better than my step up 24-85VR ED. But like I said the VR on my 24085 is better by atlas a stop maybe a stop and a half. Now for a kit lens that adds only 100$ to the body it is all glass 12 elements  in 10 groups. It sports 3 aspherical and one Extra Low Dispersion (ED) element and it has Fuji's Super EBC coating. Plus from the few shots I took the Bokeh is very pleasing for a kit lens at f3.5.

Value

This one is harder if you get it as a kit for around 100$ added to the price of the body then its a slam dunk. But it seems Fuji sells it alone for $399 then I am not sure it is such a deal yes its wider than most kit lens in its price point but I would not buy it at $400 despite how good optically it is I would save for the 18-55 f2.8-4 OIS. I am sure there are many on the used market parted from their kit bodies when someone upgrades for a good price.

It was super windy today and I am so busy moving but the rain stopped long enough for me to try a few shots. These are SOOC and are mostly at ISO 400 with shutter speeds around 1/20 to 1/40. The small berries are very small not much bigger than a small pill and I got the lens to lock on they are a bit soft but I think their is a bit of motion blur. The Jeep shows how nice and sharp it is and the colors and contrast are nice even on a dreary day. My truck is another show of sharpness and the leat and the gutter shots shows the Bokeh and detail this lens can resolve from the XM1! I shot RAW and used the Provia standard color setting, +1 sharpness and -2 NR.

Oh one more thing Fuji gives you a petal lens hood with their cheapest lens I had to buy one way back in the day when I got my D50 and 18-55 and that one was a round hood but the  front element on my 18-55 lens rotated when zoomed.

Jim

Thanks for sending the rain Art we had really bad storms there is over 190000 yes 190000 people without power MLGW is saying it could be a week before they fix everyones power. But somehow we have power and usually my area goes out.

The XM1 is fantastic it is a very nice camera for $249 new. I will review it later but I need more time with it to learn it. Might even do a dual review the X100s vs the XM1! :D

One more thing my truck looks clean but the silver hides it better than my wife poor Jeep it shows everything she is going to have me detail it tomorrow. :P

OK back to packing!

Attached Files

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7021 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

Looking good Jim.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21219 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:26 AM

Wow!!!

Very impressive. Great find, Jim. I looked these up here ....no deals to be found....$900!

As for the rain ... see my post here:

http://www.planetnik...967#entry241141
Signature_Line_V4

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23583 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

900 Art is that for the XM1 kit? I paid 249$ body and lens new it was a close out Memorial Day sale but even first run it was I think 799$ here. Wow feel like I really scored.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:15 AM

It might be one of the lowest entry points into the Fuji X ecosystem but it is still capable of returning superb images.......just wait until your F mount adapter turns up.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7234 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for posting, Jim.

I am seriously impressed with the IQ of your camera.  It was pretty obvious, even on my second, non-Apple monitor.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21219 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:28 AM

900 Art is that for the XM1 kit? I paid 249$ body and lens new it was a close out Memorial Day sale but even first run it was I think 799$ here. Wow feel like I really scored.
Jim

Amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.c...ds=fujifilm xm1

Brown Leather wrap.....sweeeeeeet! Full kit.

Body only
$550

https://www.amazon.c...ds=fujifilm xm1

Yes, you got a sweet deal!!
Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users