• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21693 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Nikon isn't going to make a baby D5, at least not right now. They did that with the F100/F5. Nikon didn't like that pros used the F100 as the second body.

Agree I still think Nikon regrets the D700 it took sales from the D3.

But I'm not sure why they fear the sales losses of the top camera because in the end the F100 and D700 brought more into the Nikon fold than any sales loss of the top cameras.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#32 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

That is a nice piece of marketing.  

In fairness to Nikon, I haven't seen ANY camera manufacturer come out with something similar.

If the F3 was such a nice system, why do so many wish for more bells and whistles on future DSLR's? Wouldn't they rather revert to a simpler system that can emulate what the great film cameras used to do? I would love to be able to do what all the old greats used to accomplish. 

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#33 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

I realize only the pros go after these expensive elaborate systems, and for me on the outside looking in, it looks like an arms race that'll never end. I for one am happy with what I have and probably won't go too far beyond what I have. A Fuji X-T10 or perhaps an affordable Nikon equivalent is my target right now, I'll see what the future brings to the market while I get better with what I have.

• Art likes this

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#34 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 21693 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

I realize only the pros go after these expensive elaborate systems, and for me on the outside looking in, it looks like an arms race that'll never end. I for one am happy with what I have and probably won't go too far beyond what I have. A Fuji X-T10 or perhaps an affordable Nikon equivalent is my target right now, I'll see what the future brings to the market while I get better with what I have.

Its always a balancing act to be honest no manufacture truly has all the features you want it seems that you could look across the isle and always find something you like about brand xy and z. But that said sooner or later you do find one that fits you and you will tend to gravitate to that brand.

As far as the F3 it was the pros work horse for years it was in war zones and it just worked and worked. Nikon produced it for so long because people kept buying them I truly believe if film was still the number one medium many would still be using it on a daily basis. Not to mention the range of manual focus  Nikkor lens that were available for it it was a truly great system except for the funky flash hot shoe never understood that to be honest.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#35 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18354 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Nikon isn't going to make a baby D5, at least not right now. They did that with the F100/F5. Nikon didn't like that pros used the F100 as the second body.

I wonder, in a market where pros and amateur alike are NOT LOOKING at Nikon, if a shift in strategy to expand the base and sell more cameras....glass and accessories, might outweigh what "NIKON Likes"!

I believe they LIKE staying in business and may want to pursue a strategy that will increase their user base over the next few years over selling a few more expensive camera bodies to a handful of pros.

Or, they can see yet another company displace them from the top rankings in camera sales.

SignaturePic_zpsfmrwh4ny.jpg

#36 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:56 PM

I wonder, in a market where pros and amateur alike are NOT LOOKING at Nikon, if a shift in strategy to expand the base and sell more cameras....glass and accessories, might outweigh what "NIKON Likes"!

I believe they LIKE staying in business and may want to pursue a strategy that will increase their user base over the next few years over selling a few more expensive camera bodies to a handful of pros.

Or, they can see yet another company displace them from the top rankings in camera sales.

I really don't think Nikon will produce a Mirrorless along the lines of a Fuji X-T10/20, and be in the same ball park price wise. But I'm patient enough to wait and see. But by then Fuji or Sony might have even better models for the same price.

#37 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 13643 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

Well, now your thinking that Nikon will change. That is really the key, will they (or have they and we just don't know it) change? I agree with Thom H where he says, it not just a new product, they have to change the way they interact with customers. They already made the mistake, and folks are looking around. Releasing a product, and not doing customer service, marketing and the like, won't stop folks from looking around. Folks will just take the new product, and compare it. Especially if the price is high.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My Google Plus page.

My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#38 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18354 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

If the F3 was such a nice system, why do so many wish for more bells and whistles on future DSLR's? Wouldn't they rather revert to a simpler system that can emulate what the great film cameras used to do? I would love to be able to do what all the old greats used to accomplish.

Unfortunately, cameras are now in the realm of Hi-Tech .... in this world....you move forward or die. Mechanical cameras lasted forever. Those days are long gone.

#39 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18354 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

Well, now your thinking that Nikon will change. That is really the key, will they (or have they and we just don't know it) change? I agree with Thom H where he says, it not just a new product, they have to change the way they interact with customers. They already made the mistake, and folks are looking around. Releasing a product, and not doing customer service, marketing and the like, won't stop folks from looking around. Folks will just take the new product, and compare it. Especially if the price is high.

I don't know, Dennis...I doubt it. They are an arrogant company. They still think they are back in the 70's and that their brand is the GOLD STANDARD.

If money was no object, I would dump them in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I am too heavily invested. I love my gear, but I really don't like them. Maybe, with new management, they will remember who butters their bread.

#40 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, cameras are now in the realm of Hi-Tech .... in this world....you move forward or die. Mechanical cameras lasted forever. Those days are long gone.

The company yes, but only the pros will chase the technology as it comes out. Same thing happens in pro recording studios.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users