• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23585 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

First let me do a shout out to Roberts camera/UsedPhotoPro they listed the camera as very good or 80-89% well this thing is darn near Excellent + I would say closer to 90-95. It has a small rub or scratch on the LCD that you can only see if you tilt it in the light and when the camera is off. There is one small rub mark on the base and everything else is mint! It had only 200 shutter actuations  and it still had a very early firmware it looks like who ever bought this used it a few times and put it away. Now it did come with the lens hood and lens hood/filter adapter that is an extra that is not supplied new and runs around 100$ but no USB cable, Strap or manual so I have the manual on ordered and in the meantime I downloaded it on my iPad mini. I did buy today a Peak Design(always wanted their system) Leash it is the smallest of the Sling/ Neck straps they make and it came with 4 of their clips fasteners so I can do add ons. I want to add their wrist strap and you can switch back and forth thanks to their very clever snap fasteners.

Ok so lets run through some pros and cons based on my 3 hours of use today again this is a first impression.

Look and Feel:

It is one of the best looking cameras I have ever used. It is solid and well made and all the buttons and knobs are firm and responsive.  There is not much plastic on this camera it has to be 85% metal  maybe a bit more. It is not heavy or large yet it feels great in your hand all the functions fall in logical places at least for me they do. Having little experience with Fuji I was still able to hike up and down the bridge and still easily use this camera. The simple A on the aperture dial and on the shutter speed dial is fantstic it makes going from P,A,S and M easy and the aperture ring is amazing it is very responsive. 

LCD and Viewfinder:

Ok lets get the not so good out of the way the LCD is nice but very average it is 2.8 inches and just a 460K-dot, TFT color LCD monitor (Approx. 100% coverage). Its nice but it doesn't do your photos justice when you load them on a retina or 4k iMac(or 5K iMac) you can really see the difference they just pop on the better screens. It does have a bright light setting that makes it very usable in bright light but you loose the ability to see how your shot really looks. But this is the 2nd of 3 models soon to be 4 the newer models have much better LCDs.

Now the good no GREAT the OVF should be listed as one of the 7 modern wonders of the world. It is clear I mean very clear easy to compose with excellent framing lines and it has very clear shooting data in the overlay and this is the Optical side. Plus it shows just over 90% so it is not a tunnel peep hole and did I say it is bright with excellent framing lines. Now the neat trick with a flip of a lever you can have an equally excellent EVF that shows you everything and is a fairly high res 2,360K-dot color LCD viewfinder at 100%. This lever falls right under your right pointer finger that you use to press the shutter button so you can switch back and forth on the fly. Refresh is every bit as good as my Olympus actually a bit better and of coarse much better than my P900 EVF.

Speed:

​Now I am still learning this camera and I found a function that speeds it up on both start up and shooting response  Over all this is a very responsive camera now its not a sport shooter but who would do that with a fixed 35mm lens but it is quick I do not think you will miss many family, landscape or street photos due to the speed of the camera.

I did not try the burst mode thats for a later date as I ran the battery down(more on that) so my shooting came to an end before I wanted too.

Oh black out and write speeds are fast on par with the Oly and D600.

AF

Super fast if good light.  In good light it is faster than my D600 on single AF but slower on continuous and it will not track like my D600 or my Olympus over all I think the Olympus is still the fastest but it is close. Continous AF is well not the best better than 99% point and shoot cameras but no where close to my D600 or Oly to be honest but again this is a 3 year old model the T is supposedly better and the new F that is due to come out is better yet according to reviews.

Fairly Fast in medium light but slower than my D600 and Oly EM-5

Average to OK in low light it will not rival my D600 in low light but it beats my Olympus in low light AF

You can select AF points but I can see myself using Single and manually moving my AF points around.

Conclusion on AF it is very good over all but not great, it does hold its own but as mentioned the D600 and Oly EM-5 have the AF edge but let me say only in AF now to MF yes MF.

This camera is the best MF camera I have out side my FM3a and FE2 with the K3 focusing screen(thats the FM3a's screen) The Oly EM-5 does not have peaking in only enlarges the area where you set the AF point, the D600 doesn't have anything other than an excellent optical viewfinder and MF assist that does work well. The X100s has a split image MF aid yes film fans a split image it is fantastic its like going back in time find a straight edge and line it up! :D It also has focus peaking if you prefer and it also will enlarge the AF point area but the digital split image MF assist is the bomb! For MF the FM3a is still the champ but when it comes to my digital cameras the X100s is tops.

​Last thing on MF the MF ring is butter smooth is feels like an old school MF lens love it.

Menus and Interface

​Its OK once you've messed with an Olympus menu everything else seems simple. I can't speak a lot on this because I am still learning the system. But I love the Q button it brings up the most used function that you can adjust my Oly had that too. And from what I can tell I can set some custom functions, I might setup a JPEG function for Velvia and one for BW and my main one is the RAW settings. But this could all change I need more time with the camera.

Did not use the flash yet or the Macro mode so nothing to report there.

Lens:

Simply put amazing it is fast, sharp with excellent contrast and color I love it.

IQ at base ISO:

Amazing from the small sample I took today the DR is huge you can pull all kinds of detail out it had me shaking my head. I have to say it is every bit as good as my FF D600 of coarse it is less MP at 16 vs 24 and it is APS-C vs FX/FF but it is that good I hate to say this but it blows my Olympus away its not even close in any way plus add it has no low pass filter it is sharp super sharp.

I did not test the low light except one quick shot at ISO 3200 and it looked very clean but that will require more testing tonight.

Battery:

Well not so good I thought it was fully charged and I only got about 2 1/2 hours of shooting. I do know I was chipping more and I was in the menus a lot so that does play into it but I am used to the all day shooting of my D600 and for the most part my Oly. Now maybe the batter is a bit old not sure and I most likely did not fully charge it so I am doing that now but I will need get another battery. I see they sell the Wasabi batteries with a charger for 22$ at B&H I am just afraid of third party batteries. The Fuji in not that much more at 29$ but that is only one battery but with this camera I can see I am going to need a few batteries.

Quirks I found so far. Sometimes when the camera goes to sleep it turns the LCD off and I have to manual switch it from the EVF back to the LCD.

Another quirk is that at f2 the camera only goes to 1/1000 and doesn't reach 1/4000 until f8 and smaller. It does have a built in ND filter and does have a low ISO below ISO 200 which is the base ISO.  I need to research this but I wonder if it has to do with the fact it has a leaf shutter and I am not sure the S model has an electronic shutter I still need to learn this camera.

Conclusion if I had the money I would buy the new F coming our get the Wide Angle converter and leave it on the S model and switch back and forth from the 35mm for and the 50mm for of view with the tele converter on the F model. :P This is an amazing camera yes its not for everyone especially  not a primary camera for everyone but I can see it being my primary and my Nikon P900 as my main camera when I need reach.

Jim

PS if this is rough and jumpy one writing is not my strong point and two I've been up for 24 hours Herman was right I stayed up all night reading and waiting for it to come.

Here's a few samples I did not do any PP except to resize.  I will post more in other threads. What a good day.

Attached Files

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21222 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Great review, enjoyed every word. Get the Fuji battery, Jim, only a few dollars more!

Excellent results, I am very impressed with Fuji of late.
Signature_Line_V4

#3 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23585 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

Have to be honest if I start all over Fuji is where I am going. I am not sure it is good for long range stuff and sports but for everyday, landscape and portrait and wedding stuff Fuji is recalling innovating.

I agree I am getting the Fuji Battery just nervous about batteries.

Jim

• Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23585 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Oh one more con no VR or OS or IBIS etc etc same as what Nikon did with the Coolpix A wonder why I guess they figure with a fast pancake prime you don't need it. I wonder if they are going to add it to the X100f that is coming out.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#5 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:50 AM

Not only is that a great review it is well balanced and I'd agree 100% with your first impressions. 

As a sling in over your shoulder - every day walk about camera I can't think of anything better. It is a combination of things that make a Fuji such a good camera but for me there is a tactile, want to pick it up, want to turn the dials, want to to take pictures quality about it that I haven't come across before. Changing systems was the best thing I did for my photography and I hope you have many years of happy shooting with your X100

• Art likes this
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7236 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for posting this, Jim.

A few years ago, I would have suggested that it would be heresy, to post a review like this on PN.  Not anymore.  When someone like you sings the praises of of another camera manufacturer, Nikon should start getting extremely nervous.  Nikon is leaving it's loyal customers behind.  Lens adaptors mean that we no longer have to sacrifice our investment in quality glass if we want to switch camera bodies.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15288 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

Darn it Jim, I'm not rich! 😂😎

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10319 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

Well written / compiled, Jim!

Enjoy!

:rolleyes:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#9 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23585 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for posting this, Jim.

A few years ago, I would have suggested that it would be heresy, to post a review like this on PN.  Not anymore.  When someone like you sings the praises of of another camera manufacturer, Nikon should start getting extremely nervous.  Nikon is leaving it's loyal customers behind.  Lens adaptors mean that we no longer have to sacrifice our investment in quality glass if we want to switch camera bodies.

Mark you are so right! Let me say Nikon still makes great stuff but the last few years I have been trending down smaller lighter more simple gear. When Nikon announced the DL as some of you remember I was so excited a fairly large sensor on a complete small fully manual control body. Then they kept pushing it back I finally cancelled my preorder and got a Nikon P900 which by the way is one of the most fun cameras ever and the reach is silly. Add to that Nikon nailed the glass it is sharp and produces very nice images if Nikon is smart add a flash hot shoe and raw capability and throw in a slightly better LCD nothing over the top keep it at the 600$ range and I will upgrade that is how much I love the P900. But I still had that void for a large sensor P&S with great image quality not good not excellent great something you could take to an event and shoot and get the shots. When Nikon killed the DL I was left with a few choices the Sony's never appealed to me and they seem to be menu driven and in the back of my mind I always wonder when Sony will pull the plug. They were the leaders in TVs and computers and they just pulled out. Olympus and Panasonic have some nice offerings but the allure of a large APS-C sensor Fuji kept calling me and after seeing BP's work though to be honest most of it is BP's skills he kept talking about that sensor! So I started looking at the X20 and X30 but they are small sensors not much larger than my P900 and then there was the Fuji X100 it called me and after a year of firmware fixes it was prime time but I really wanted one a bit newer and faster. Then this X100s just fell to me at the right time and it is everything I ever wanted. It is fast accurate and that SENSOR is the bomb. In a few years when the F drops in price I can see me picking one of those up used. I am telling you with the tele adapter and a good flash I could do a wedding with this camera and not have my arms feel like they are going to fall off.  Add to the fact it does do off camera flash the onboard flash can trigger a slave WOW.

Now when I went to best buy to pick up some stuff yesterday I held and played with the D500 and 16-80 f2.8-4 lens combo Nikon you need to explode this line bring more great DX glass and really make the D7300 the smaller brother of the D500 like the N80 was to the F100 that was to the F5. Up the game on the D750 and make some excellent mid range glass to compete with Sigma and Tamron if not you will lose glass sales to them because the new average enthusiast is less likely to be brand loyal like my generation is/was we stayed because you allowed us to carry our old glass with us to our new cameras. We loved the F mount and you kept rolling out great glass we could afford and carry from camera to camera. I remember the 28-105D had almost no distortion and a great macro function and it was the perfect mate to the N80 and F100 both top of the line semi pro and enthusiast cameras. Remember the SB-600 and SB-800 that worked with just about every camera made since 1990 that is where you need to be Nikon.  But todays new camera enthusiast don't have that same connection to the F mount and Nikons of old they look at the sleek functional and optically excellent Sigma lens and say hey this is cheaper and just as good and it is innovative.

Do I still love Nikon yes can Nikon be wonderful again yes it can(didn't want to use Make Nikon Great Again :P that one is taken  ) and the moment that I can get some Ektachrome I promise my FM3a that I still consider the greatest camera I own will be busy as will my N80 and F100.

But for my everyday life Nikon has left me behind both in price and innovation.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23585 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

One more thing to add on Manual Focus the range finder or distance scale is amazing on this camera you could also focus with this. Was just out playing around a realized how easy it is to see in both the OVF/EVF and LCD might need to try some long night exposures since setting the distance scale is easily seen it will make focusing to infinity or any distance in the dark easier.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users