• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

I am currently at the Lake Front, enjoying a 30C day on the water front with my family, BBQ, my dog and my sisters dog, having a great day. Just finished a BBQ Steak! :) Earlier in the day I took my gear for a walk, and put on the 500mm Reflex on the D800. Why not. What do you think? HAND HELD! On MANUAL and..... the camera helps me FOCUS! I was BLOWN AWAY. There is a little dot on the lower left side of the viewfinder with arrow keys that help me find the sweat spot. With a reflex lens, you need all the help you can get. The sun is too bright for me to really tell how good these pics are but I welcome your comments. I will check this out later tonight when I get home. I am currently on my Laptop, BluTooth Tethered to my iPhone B) heckling the Planet!

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 26 August 2012 - 07:48 PM.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#62 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9906 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Looks very good, Art! :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#63 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19460 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Agree with Herman.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#64 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Herman and PJ, here is another one. Again, this isn't the best lens on the planet, but when distance is an issue, it is better than nothing. I will be honest, I am impressed with the light weight and what it can do on a sunny day! Note the donut circles on the mud in the front right.

Attached File  Gull-(2)-500.jpg   150.67KB   0 downloads

There has been a lot of talk about the D800 bringing out the flaws in poor lenses. I think with the Mirror Reflex, it seems to make it better than what it actually is. Not 100% sure yet, but I am going to use this lens more. Maybe even buy one with more power and more current, like one of the 800mm ones. Under $200 and a used one may even be half of that.

#65 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

Thanks, MIke. I am good with the one I have.

#66 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Currently, one of my most neglected lenses, so I pulled it out today as I was bored and needed to take a picture. The sun was perfect today and I have been meaning to take some shots on a sunny day, so I popped in the mirror reflex on the D800 and took a few images. I discovered something today! This is actually a pretty good lens under the right lighting conditions or the right settings, but I am still baffled to get the images to repeat consistently. I am still wasting a lot of images to get one good one. Check these two out. This one was taken in direct sunlight and probably a tad over exposed, not sure. It is also hand held. Nikon D800 Nikon Nikkor 500mm Mirror Reflex Lens f/8 ISO 200 1/500s Hand Held I did some minor PP in Capture NX2 - Unsharp Mask intensity 100 and Radius of 20 Both images are processed the same way except the second image was too dark due to being in the shade so I did some S curve to brighten the image and add contrast. Look at the difference in the two images!

Attached File  Flowers.jpg   222.04KB   0 downloads

Dragon Fly Wind Chime

Attached File  Dragon-Fly-Wind-Chime.jpg   181.16KB   0 downloads

This image would print on a 4x6 really nicely, I think! I am very surprised at how sharp it turned out. I also set the camera wrong! Since this is a manual lens, I have it programmed into the camera as the 500mm, but used the 400mm settings. Not sure if it impacted the whole thing in any way other that the EXIF files are incorrect. Both these images are taken at roughly the minimum distance!

#67 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Art they look real good to me! Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#68 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Thanks, Jim. One day, I hope to do a proper review of this lens and will do some pixel peeping and comparisons to a similar focal length prime. A lot of the sharpness is pumped up in NX2.

#69 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Took the 500mm Reflex out for a walk today as well.  These two images are hand held and PP in Capture NX2.

Attached File  Squirell-1.jpg   156.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Squirell-2.jpg   159.25KB   0 downloads

#70 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9906 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Very impressive, Art!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#71 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thanks, Herman.  Still a battle for the sharpest image.  I took 6 images, these are the best I could garner on focus.  May have gotten slightly better results on the tripod, had I used it.

#72 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Very good Art!

Jim

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#73 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Thanks, Jim.

#74 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

Nice shots Art.

the 500mm reflex weighs less than a MF 50mm 1.2 so is a dream to carry.

Does need a touch of extra stability to eliminate blur though.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#75 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Keith, it is a tricky lens.  I was propped against a tree, holding my breath to take these.  I hang onto it because of the fact it is a unique lens, but to be honest, the money could be better spent towards other glass. 

I have had fun with it and I am having a hard time deciding to part with it.  But it just doesn't deliver a crisp enough image.

#76 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

I've had mine since bell bottoms were in style LOL.

still a neat lens that has appeal.

wouldn't choose it as my only long lens but I do like what it does.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#77 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

I have always been curious about some of the 600mm mirror lens that are fairly cheap. I wish I could try a few out I saw a few that were f6.3 thats fairly bright for a mirrow lens.

Jim

#78 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

Jim, They are bright. The problem with all these lenses is the extremely narrow DoF. If you want to experiment, get a cheap one, you can have some fun without breaking the bank.

#79 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

Jim and anyone else interested, Overstock.com has inexpensive mirror reflex lenses for $162 US, check them out here. These are the f6.3 versions. http://www.overstock...FCI&searchidx=6 Shipping is included in that price, I would NOT waste my money on the TC version they advertise. For this price, not a bad deal if you can live with the lower IQ, it is substantially less than the worse zoom you have tried!

#80 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

Sounds cool Art thanks, just want something to mess around with that will not break the bank and I can use on my FE2 also.

Jim

#81 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Jim, these are all manual lenses so I think they will work on almost any camera, but it doesn't hurt to check.

The image you get does need PP work but at smaller sized prints, they are very acceptable.

#82 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

That's why I know they will work on my FE2 so many new lens are G type thus useless on my FM3a and FE2. This gives me 500 for my old film cameras unlike the new Tamron that I am sure will be a G type lens. Jim Still want the Tammy bad!

#83 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Jim, post a review if you pick up a Mirror Reflex.  Curious to see the results.  The one I saw at a Trade Show was the Rokinon.  Felt very nice to handle.

#84 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

You got it Art!

Jim

#85 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Check this one out.... 800 mm f8 for $185 Delivered...... http://www.overstock...64/product.html

#86 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

I wonder if I could manually focus at f8 at 800mm it would most defiantly have to be tripod mounted. Jim In the the picture it is mounted on a F3! :D

#87 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Jim,

I would have to say... probably not.  When I put a TC on the 500, it is near impossible to hand hold and get any kind of results.  I would say, best advice, Tripod.

800mm is a ton of reach!! for under $200. And, f8 is highly acceptable.  I have never had any issue with the fixed f stop.  Typically, I shot on sunny days so this is a non issue for me.

#88 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:54 PM

I agree I like to shoot at f8 anyway when shooting long distance I am really thinking of giving it a go! :D But I am just thinking of how well I can focus it.

Jim

#89 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

I can't remember who was testing a Vivitar 500mm Reflex lens a week or two ago.  I promised I would post some pics of the Nikon 500mm f8 Mirror Reflex.  Here they are.... took them this morning....

Attached File  Duckies.jpg   627.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Goose.jpg   347.43KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Cormorants.jpg   433.44KB   0 downloads

Just for comparison, the image below was shot at roughly the same time with the Tamron set at 500mm so you can see the difference.

Attached File  CormorantsOn-Wood.jpg   491KB   0 downloads

What I did....

1) Tried to keep images composed such that subjects followed a straight perpendicular line to minimize the effects of a very shallow depth of field

2) I used Capture NX2 to enhance the image.  It was shot raw, then I sharpened it, added some contrast and adjusted brightness and saturation so the images were pleasant to the eye.

All crops are about 40%.

It is almost near impossible to get any form of action shot with this lens.  The focus is totally unforgiving.  However, a decent image is possible as you can see from the 3 above.

You can pick up a very decent Nikon 500mm Reflex C version lens $225-$350.  I would find a nice one for as little as possible.

The new N version is upwards of $500-$600 which is.... RIDICULOUS!! I do not believe you get any better image, just some closer focusing.  You can tell the N lens from the C lens because it has an ORANGE stripe on the lens barrel.  Don't waste your money.

You can get an OPTEKA lens for around the $120 mark or less and I am sure you can find them used for less!!

#90 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

Been an interesting thread Art,

One conclusion we can come from these images is that we are getting a good deal from the current Chinese made long glass

I can remember in the mid to late 80s, Nikon long glass was at ridiculous prices back then, hasn't changed today!  :(

......Gary

• Art likes this

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users