• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#31 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

Well you wanted to test the sharpness, how about some old buildings like the Toronto Gooderham Building. There should be some nice details in that building to try it out on. I was just thinking of something stationary for the test. Something with details.

Ah, the Flatiron building on Front. Great choice. If it was summer, I would make the trip downtown. That is a great landmark and you are correct, it would make for a great photo!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#32 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Here is a sample of some pictures I took this morning with the Nikon 500mm Reflex. The only one that desperately need PP work was the oil refinery as I was losing the small window of sunlight I had. We are quite overcast this morning. Still the aftermath of the storm. I was lucky to get this really cool sunlight this morning and scrambled around to park and find a good shot. These were taken in Longbranch. Exposure is all the same... 1/400s, F8, Cloudy, OEV, 0,0 ISO 200 All tripod mounted I missed a great shot of a water tower because I didn't bring the other lenses! LOL I was fixated on looking for old buildings, which I didn't find.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 13 January 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#33 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

First clear sky tonight. Moon Shot! :) 500mm Reflex Lens s 1/100s, f 8 Not the best shot, I did a little PP on it to sharpen it and add a little contrast. Since the moon was almost straight up, I had some difficulty focusing comfortably.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 16 January 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#34 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Here is a shot of a corner of a Church that is undergoing renos. Not the best shot, but I was about a city block away when I took it. It looks good to me in terms of sharpness. I adjusted the tone and contrast on the shot.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 17 January 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#35 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

With a little care and patients it looks like your new (budget) lens can turn out a fantastic photograph........now where have I heard that before.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#36 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

With a little care and patients it looks like your new (budget) lens can turn out a fantastic photograph........now where have I heard that before.

Very wise words! I couldn't agree more with you. I am only sorry that I could not take pictures with the "budget" reflex lenses I looked at to compare. The one that stood out was the Opteka 500mm reflex f8.

It was very light weight, very bright and very inexpensive..... $110. Opteka also has an 800mm reflex lens for about $200. Rokinon also has lenses you can check out on Overstock.com in the range of $140 to $160.

I fully agree with BP that if you want a fun lens, that is cheap and gives you some horse power, these are more than fine.

I picked up my used Nikon 500mm reflex for $200. Good deal? Well, it is the going price for a C. The N will run you around $300+, depending on who is bidding against you on ebay. The Chinese seem to think it is worth $700+. Don't bother! As much as I like the lens, there are limitations. Trust me, I love this lens. I am very happy with it. However, I fully agree with BP, that you can get a value lens that will do the same thing.

The only caveat I have for you is I am comparing sample photos I have seen taken from these lenses, I never got to shoot a picture I could take home and compare side by side.

Strengths of this type of lens:

Cheap
Small
Very light

Foibles of this type of lens:
Bokeh can be weird under certain conditions
F stop fixed at 8
Hard to focus
- and it is strictly manual focus

Things I am not sure about yet and won't know until I take more pictures:

Sharpness
DOF

My overall opinion, well worth the money. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one of these and only if it is the Nikon, if you can find one. The less you pay, the better. The only cosmetic thing I didn't like about the Opteka was the cream colour and the silly brass screwed on plate with their brand on the barrel of the lens. This is simply silly. I think they will change this in the future for a rubber stamped brand, like everyone else.

Overall, for my needs, this is a perfect buy. I don't mind the manual focus. The only thing I don't like, but find totally acceptable is it is a little bit hard to focus. My eyes are not what they used to be so I do struggle with this. However, I bought this for outdoor, sunny day use and to take some great moon shots! So, no issues here!

You can also take some cool close ups of stuff, not Macro, just in tight as you can see below (CU of an 8" Terracotta Warrior). However, you need to stand back some 13 feet! Honestly, great lens. I don't know why they lost favour!

Art

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 18 January 2011 - 04:48 PM.

#37 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

The moon shot is nice.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#38 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Dennis. Here is a hand held shot of the 500mm Reflex lens. Took it this morning. There was a squirrel convention on the back fence and I got a shot of these two. Still waiting for sunny weather to give this lens a good run.

Attached Files

#39 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

Best shot of the moon I have ever taken with this lens. Daytime picture Nikon 500mm Reflex 1/500s Lowest ISO setting on camera Tripod shot taken at 8:00am this morning. A little help from Photoshop to give it some contrast and detail.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 26 March 2011 - 02:39 PM.

#40 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

This is my 500th post! Funny how time flies. So, I thought it would be a cool idea to post some photos taken with my 500mm lens. I have some Swan pictures that will mark the occasion. Hope you enjoy them. These were taken on Lake Ontario. I was standing by the shoreline and 3 swans swam by taking their time and dipping their heads under water looking for food. They were in no hurry and I got off a nice series of photographs. Unfortunately, the day was mostly overcast! I was hoping for a day of some sun, but it was fleeting at best. Enjoy! D90 Nikon 500mm Relex Lens Hand Held Manual focus Fixed at f8 All shots are either 1/400s or 1/500s

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 04 April 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#41 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

Mickaisy, I saw a Dove out in the yard and took these two shots for you. One is with my Nikon 500mm Mirror Reflex Lens and the other is with my Nikon 70-300mm lens. In my opinion, I like the 70-300 better, but can you tell which one is which? I treated the photos identically, except that the 300mm shot had to be enlarged a bit to match the size of the bird with the 500mm. Otherwise, the are both RAW images adjusted slightly for exposure. It is rainy here, bad light and I took both of these like snap shots just for comparison.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 25 April 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#42 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

Love the shot of the harbor light!! The color and the light are perfect. I'd love to know what kind of results one would get from the Nikkor 2000mm reflex lens, if anyone could afford such a lens that is. Imagine packin' this puppy in your bag!!

Don

Edited by justshootit, 26 April 2011 - 12:12 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#43 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, Don. The Harbour Light is one of my favourite pictures. I would love to take a shot with the 2000mm lens! What a blast that would be. My first inclination would be to point it UP! See if I could get a shot of Tranquility Base! ;) I wonder how tough it is to focus. Never mind the mule you would need to carry it around! BTW, Nikon Canada has one in their lobby, grey in colour!

Edited by Art, 26 April 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#44 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Some hand held shots today. One is of the Opossum that made its debut on my fence. The other was around dinner time when my favourite dove shows up to do a little sun tanning. Both shots taken with my Nikkor 500mm Mirror Reflex lens. 1/160s f8 D90 Possum is hand held and shot early in the morning Dove was shot on tripod around dinner time Both show raw Both have a little PP to sharpen and make them a little more vibrant

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 11 May 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#45 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

Another 500mm experiment. I was out with my daughter today, home for a PE day. So, rather than have her on Facebook all day, I took her out to take some pictures. I went down to the lake again. This is a shot of the water tower by the abandoned arsenal property. I pulled out the 500mm and took some composite shots and pieced them together just for fun. A little PP and it turned out pretty good. Total... 5 pictures. Composites are at the bottom that make up the picture below.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 20 May 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#46 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

Shot this picture with the 500mm x2 TC while in Collingwood, Ontario. Tripod mounted. This folder is my tome to the 500mm reflex, so even though this isn't an artistic shot, it shows you what the lens can and can't do on a sunny day. Actually, this was shot about 4:30-5:30 pm.

Attached Files

#47 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

I like the last one... I see some wonderfully artistic possibilities for this one.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#48 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

Thanks Dennis, I am glad you like it. I will be honest, I was desperate to find something, anything to shoot in the bright sun with the 500mm x2. This was out there! (see picture of my MOM in Latte. Over here shoulder is this boat! It will give you an idea of how far out it was.) I wish I had something better to focus on. I am still hope to get a nice shot using this lens during what is left of the summer!

#49 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Lancaster Bomber, shot with my 500mm x 2TC. Air show in Toronto. Thought I would add this one to this growing collection of 500mm reflex lens shots. Note, the bombay doors are open! Did a little PP work in PS.

Attached Files

#50 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

I got a tip from a neighbour and checked out a great spot to do some birding. Here is one of a series of pictures I took of this Heron! This is the best of my 500mm reflex lens shots. 500mm Reflex f/8 s 1/1000 ISO 800 Hand Held! I will post the series in Nature...

Attached Files

#51 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

Found an opportunity to shoot these two photos with the 500mm. These were done in early morning light and I think they turned out pretty good. I used the 2x TC on this due to the distance that was involved. Tripod mount. 1st shot: 1/250s, f16, ISO 500 2nd shot: is the same. Anyone know what the Black Birds are? They were huge as well!

Attached Files

#52 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

Art the first picture is a Wood duck AKA woodie It looks like a male in it molting stage, They should be starting to turn back with in the next few weeks. I seen some mallards that are starting to turn back their colorful state. The second picture of the black bird is a double crested cormorant. Here a good link to help you ID birds http://www.allaboutb...ide/browse.aspx Save it to your favorites folder I use it all the time, but then again sometimes it can be hard to ID if you don't know what your looking for. B) I know I need help ID birds as well.
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#53 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

Greatly appreciated as always, Mark!! :) A double crested cormorant! How about that! Massive wing span. There were 3 of them there, you just can't see the other two behind it. Unfortunately, I can't get any closer than this without risking my life jumping a fence and falling in the lake. I have to see where I can jump the fence safely!!!! :lol: That rock cropping is a natural sunning place in the morning. Simple fantastic, I wish I had better glass!! Thanks for the LINK, now bookmarked. I have heard of Cornell Labs before. I have to check my emails, I think I have seen this before for some reason.

Edited by Art, 15 September 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#54 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Those cormorants are hard to get close to at least in my area, they spook pretty easy. I hear down in Florida in the everglades you can get pretty close to wildlife with in wide angle lens reach I guess they are so use to people there. I want to take trip down there one day soon, a good friend of mine live down there and I really want to get down there with my photo gear.
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#55 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

Well, all the power to you, I look forward to seeing your pictures, when you get there. These guys were oblivious to me. I was a pretty safe distance away. The one was holding his wings up like that for some time! Like he was sunning. I love these big birds. I didn't see them fly away, they simply stayed on the rock sunning. May try again later today, if the weather holds. Thanks again for the help and info.

Edited by Art, 15 September 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#56 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Mark, I managed to find a shot of the Double-Crested Cormorant in my reject pile. I was focusing on the Heron, and this photo didn't turn out but the crop on the Cormorant did. Enjoy. Apparently, they are the scourge of sports fisherman, eating up fishing in the wild and in the fish farms too!! There were three present here, plus the Heron. The Heron is barely seen (tail part) on the right. The 3rd Corm is hidden in the back, out of sight, behind the bird in the middle.

Attached Files

Edited by Art, 15 September 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#57 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

I think this might be a young Night Heron. It was under neath a number of trees with just enough light sneaking through to light it up! I did not touch the colour in the shot, this is how it turned out. It is slightly cropped. Photo Taken with: 500mm Reflex f8 EV -2 s 1/1000 Tripod Remote Shutter

Attached File  Night-Heron.jpg   236.67KB   0 downloads

#58 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

A cool new shot of some Ducks on a piece of wood in the middle of Grenadier Pond with the 500mm Mirror Reflex Lens. The light today was awesome. Just peaking through the clouds after quite a few days of clouds and rain.

Attached Files

#59 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Equipment: Nikon D90 Set on Manual Nikon 500mm Mirror Reflex Lens Version C Aside from a moon shot or two, I have not pulled this out of the bag for a while. My experiment today was HIGH ISO just to see what happens. Wow. Check these out.... I followed the same procedure with each image: ISO 2000 f8 fixed 1/400s First image is on a tripod used remote release Second image is hand held Both images went into NX2 Unsharp Mask Intensity: 15 Radius: 5 Threshold: 0 and Noise reduction Intensity: 0 Sharpness: 10 Edge noise Reduction: Checked Method: Better Quality Crop: 15% approx on both images Attached File  Chippy.jpg   255.94KB   0 downloads • I did a minor colour boost and some spot light enhancements on the background • focus on the fly to capture the image (hand held) Attached File  Birdfeeder.jpg   185.41KB   0 downloads • Active-D lighting, since this is in the shade, I had some light issues and A-D opened it up a bit • pre-focused on tripod Your comments welcomed.

Edited by Art, 22 June 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#60 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19463 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

I have none as it grabs what you are taking and I like it.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users