• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:51 AM

I was photographing a storefront and this man begged me to take his picture (s) in front of different things. I asked him to pose beside this scarecrow. 

His name is Erik. He was very proud of his new bleach hair and explained the peroxide process he used. He wanted to make sure I got the logo of his shirt in the shot, "Commissionaires Security/Sécurité."

He was very grateful. He invited me to the Salvation Army for a free meal as a thank you. He wouldn't accept that I had plans and insisted so we settled with, "I'll try, but I can't promise anything." 

He extended his fist for a fist bump, we did, and then he went on his merry way...

Nikon D3100

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G

f/6.3, 1/160 sec, ISO - 200, 22mm

Attached Files

Edited by JasonTO, 04 June 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10109 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Nice one & interesting what you wrote, Jason.

There's often an interesting background how folks get into such a situation...

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, Herman. 

There usually is but I don't pry. 

:)

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6779 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Nice shot and story, Jason.

Recently, I realized that some of my favourite shots are the ones that have stories to go with them.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

Thanks, Mark.

I agree, stories always add to the shot and sentiment.  :)

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14880 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Nice shot

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks, Dennis.

#8 Pooh

Pooh

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:26 AM

Nice one Jason

A story can elevate a photo to a different level.

Rather than prying I've found on many occasions that people are only too happy to share their journey, good or bad. The issue is in sometimes getting them to stop. Some people have fascinating life stories and the difference between success and let's just say the alternative can be tiny fractions.

D4S /  Nikkor 24-70 / Nikkor 80-400 --- Panasonic TZ100

#9 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

Thanks, Pooh.

In my experience, homeless people, especially those with various mental health issues, are drawn to me like magnets and 9 times out of 10, open up to me with some of the most ultra personal details of their life. This is why I don't pry; I usually don't have to ask.

I agree and disagree about your comment on "getting them to stop." In many of my experiences, I'm the one who has been stopped. In other cases, I've already been sitting (in a park, on the subway, etc.) and have been approached.

Many people have fascinating stories, though it requires a certain level of street sense to pick up on BS, if you're being hustled. if you're being stalled or distracted to be pick pocketed, if you're being led to an isolated area as you chat, etc. One should always be aware of their surroundings. This is not to say that all street people are dangerous or intend you harm, however, I've seen enough actual events in this city which has taught me that anything can happen anywhere.

#10 Pooh

Pooh

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hi Jason

Seems like a bit of a misunderstood comment my friend. When I mentioned about getting them to stop, I meant getting them to stop talking can be an issue. It's like they want to give you their life story.

Also agree that you have to be street wise as, unfortunately a few unsavory sorts around who will take advantage.

D4S /  Nikkor 24-70 / Nikkor 80-400 --- Panasonic TZ100

#11 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:29 AM

I did misunderstand,  Pooh. I agree it sometimes is hard to get them to stop. I don't mind listening to their stories if I have the time; they're human, too. A large portion of society looks down on them with disdain or these people become an invisible back drop that are just there, part of the cityscape but not actually human, so to speak.

However, it gets difficult when conversations turn to, "I'm Peter Pan and these are my fly-away boots" (as they point to the plastic bags they're wearing as shoes); "I'm King George's daughter" (as they explain how they're the rightful heir to the throne of England); "Come closer, can you hear them" (as one wants to see if you can hear the voices talking in his ears); or when one tries to explain some kind of inter-dimensional galactic warfare going on and that cats are actually extraterrestrial spies that are going to take over our planet one day...to think of a few of the countless conversations I've had. It takes tact and skill to navigate and redirect those conversations back to the original subject. 

There are lots of unsavory sorts out and about here depending on what area you visit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: erik, people, flatirons christmas market, jarvis st, toronto, nikon d3100

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users