• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 paulvanharte

paulvanharte

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Photography, model railroading( n scale) camping, spending time with my family

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

So I decided to give the wifi a try. Very interesting concept. I took a pic of my wife and I and instead of using the self timer I put the camera on a rock and was able to take the shot with my camera. Its nice to be able to view the scene before taking the pic. Not something I would use a lot but still fun.

Edited by paulvanharte, 22 October 2017 - 01:39 PM.

cropped-medicine-lake.jpg

Paul van Harte Photography

Camera: D750, lenses: Nikon 24-120 F4 VR Nikon 200-500 F5.6, SB600 flash

Facebook page: https://www.facebook...y?ref=bookmarks

Flickr page: https://www.flickr.c...hotos/vanharte/

#2 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4082 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

So you were able to see the live view on the screen of your laptop of tablet and compose and shoot remotely? 

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#3 paulvanharte

paulvanharte

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Photography, model railroading( n scale) camping, spending time with my family

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Once you set the camera up basically the tablet becomes the live view, you cant really compose shot unless you move the actual camera. You cant zoom etc etc.  However you can move the focus point around. I can see this being handy when you wish to shoot something remote ( birds, maybe animals) and just use the tablet or phone to take the actual shot. Not really sure what distance you can go. Heck I am of the old school, still puzzled how this works. Do you actually sign into a dedicated Nikon server or something else.??? Anybody any ideas???

cropped-medicine-lake.jpg

Paul van Harte Photography

Camera: D750, lenses: Nikon 24-120 F4 VR Nikon 200-500 F5.6, SB600 flash

Facebook page: https://www.facebook...y?ref=bookmarks

Flickr page: https://www.flickr.c...hotos/vanharte/

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19587 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Wow, I really like that!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6509 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

This is something the 850 can also do now with 'Snapbridge'... you need to use both Bluetooth and wifi but you can take photos, view live view, select focus point, then download manually or automatically to your device. phone/tablet with a choice of full size image or a 2megapixel version (JPG) . I don't think downloading fullsize images is wise... be rather slow.... I think you can chose to upload to 'Nikon Image Space as well ...if you have signed up (free). It is quite cool ...set Snapbridge to download 2mp pics as you take them and you can easily upload to a social media site or where ever you choose from your phone/tablet.... I put some on 'our' FB page today.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#6 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9849 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:23 AM

I hear many folks are encountering hassles when trying to combine Apple's IOS with snapbridge.

I'll be linking up my B700 as well. Should have it today when returning to The Hague.

BUT, we of course don't have those hassles with our Androids, do we, Peter?!

:P

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#7 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6509 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:06 AM

I here many folks are encountering hassles when trying to combine Apple's IOS with snapbridge.

I'll be linking up my B700 as well. Should have it today when returning to The Hague.

BUT, we of course don't have those hassles with our Androids, do we, Peter?!

:P

Of course not Herman  :D :P :lol:

#8 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8230 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

What app are you using to connect with.   Have been trying to get something to act as a remote shutter release.  Really don't need to view it.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#9 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6509 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

What app are you using to connect with.   Have been trying to get something to act as a remote shutter release.  Really don't need to view it.

"Snapbridge" OD ... a Nikon app... it is rather limited in what you can do...but it does remote triggering/viewing/focus point.  Nowhere near as useful as 'DSLRdashboard' where you can do all sorts  change shutter/aperture/timings etc.

#10 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5295 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:44 AM

Welcome to the modern interconnected world  :D

I quite often trigger my Fuji in the same way by using my iPhone as a live view screen while having control over exposure, WB etc - I also trigger my iPhone using my Apple Watch, again having live view on it to help compose the image.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#11 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22571 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:09 AM

My XE2 is the same as BP I can control so much with my iPhone that it acts like a tilt screen that is not connected to my camera. I can also do some basic stuff with my P900 but I have less control mostly just a trigger its is the older Nikon WMU app.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9849 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

Located this link on the internet... perhaps it can assist those interested.

Link: https://www.nikonusa...-in-wi-fi.html#

:)

#13 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9849 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

I've been trying to link up my B700 via SnapBridge. Bluetooth was a breez but my attempts at trying to connect with wifi was making my hair greyer by the day.

Anyway, I managed to locate the culprit on my Samsung Note III. There was a tick under the wifi section on my phone indicating an "active intelligent switching" possibility between 2,4GHz and 5GHz bands.

I removed the tick and was able to get a wifi connection via SnapBridge and my camera straight away. Unless overlooked, I have not been able to find this on any Nikon documentation as it is smartphone related.

Thought I'd mention it in case any of you encounter similar frustrating moments!

:)  :rolleyes:  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users