• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3570 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:26 PM

Besides the never ending rain in the middle TN area, I got hit with computer drive issues.

First, my MBP's hard drive started sending messages of problems. So, I ordered a 1TB drive. I forgot that Apple changed from torx screws to pentalobe screws on the back of the body. I ordered a set of pentalobe screwdrivers. 

I use HD enclosures from Other World Computing. My computer HD is backed-up, I do not keep images on it. My 2011 Mercury Elite Dual AL-Pro would not boot the backup drives. I ordered another dual case and loaded the drives. Not so fast my friend. The new enclosure did not recognize the RAID set up from previous enclosure. You know, we all know that eventually hard drives fail, but I never dreamed of an enclosure failing. And, the new ones have different technology. 

I ordered a BIG drive for the new enclosure to go with the one I can safely save. I still have hope of getting the back-up drive's data. Cloud for 10TB is too expensive for me, so I am back to hard drive storage. It's Sat. and I have assignments at 3 and 7.

Just a rant... and suggestion to have multiple places for saving data. 8-)

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

I use external HD's, I don't like storing stuff online

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3570 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:24 AM

I have six. So two were in the enclosure.

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

Sorry to hear it Phil, I feel your pain!

Signature_Line_V4

#5 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3570 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

Well, MBP has an SSD, so it will cost me to fix that, but I need to do it. New external enclosure will have a 10T and a 2T. I have it all worked out. I have images, just not where I want them.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

I backup to externals and one died and the other one is throwing codes. So, I'm going for the Synolog 4 bay NAS using Segate 6TB pro. I will be setting up Raid 6. That should hold me for a few years. Everything goes to pot every so often.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3570 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

Dennis, who would ever think the ENCLOSURE would go bad??? So, I ordered a a two drive docking station from OWC. You can RAID it.  I can hot swap as needed. I have two - 2 TB drives extra now. So I can keep sports separated or subjects. I might keep one for birds only. (doubtful) 8-) The docking station is 179. Go look at it. 

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, that did concern me when you said the enclosure went bad. Isn't OWC for mac's? I have windows.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3570 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

Oops, my bad. The "toaster" docking station makes so much sense. Drives you are not using are not running all the time. When you boot, they are still resting, waiting to get the call. I suppose if you organize, you can turn off the enclosure you are not using. I will have two-2 drive enclosure and the docking station when all the dust settles. I thought I was backed-up. 

#10 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:59 PM

Ok.

I will have one enclosure that will turn out to have 12TB at first. I'll use the external dives for a while, and then get a second enclosure built. This second one will be offsite.

The puter has internal 2TB SSD operating system and other support stuff.

Second 3tb drive documents, photography related classes and such.

Third internal 4tb drive for images. Is 50% full.

First enclosure daily (or weekly depending) backups.

Second enclosure will be offsite. Most likely, at a bank safe box.

I'm going to build the enclosures slowly, start out with two 6tb, and then add the rest later. This will help me spread the cost over time. I may not go with the pro drives, depends.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#11 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:21 AM

Sorry to hear that Phil. Hope you get everything straightened out. lt's been raining here too much for about 5 months. lt may be one of those years where half the nation gets pounded with rain for months. Reminds me of 2007. l went on a train watching trip into lowa and thought l was going to escape the rain for 9 days-nope!! Rained almost every day of the trip in every state l went through. Sometimes the overcast was so heavy l had to overexpose photos(was a JPEG only shooter then)so they didn't look so dark.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#12 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3570 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:21 PM

Well, until something else quits working, here's the set up. One enclosure has 10T+2T, the other is 8T+2T, and the toaster has 2- 2T drives and is off most of the time. I shoot 3-5 days a week and I save everything. I process and save those images. I shoot about 350 images for basketball, I checked this week. I did a shoot for a yearbook company today. I ended with 80 processed images out of 450 raw shots.

I do not save anything on the computer HD. I want the fastest processing possible.

The lone external on left of photo is a backup for laptop.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users