• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:15 AM

l bought it new from B&H in Jan 2009-10 years ago. lt was my main body until Jan 2014 when l got the D7100. ln late 2015 l sent it to Life Pixel to get converted to infrared. Before the d300 l had a D50 l bought new and a d100 l bought used in 2007. l wasn't happy with them, but they were digital SLRs that l could afford. They were duds compared to the F100 l had. The D300 was the body that made me excited about digital photography. Now l have it up for sale here and on DP Review. lt will be good to sell some gear l'm not using that much to replinish the funds that buying the Canon M50 took. But on the other hand, l'm going to miss the body that changed my opinion of going digital. Before the D300, going digital was a necessary evil. When l got it it made digital fun and exciting. Oh well, can't keep everything forever.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10801 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

I will never part from my D50 and D300. They're excellent cameras as long as you take their present day limitations into account. They offer an additional challenge when compared in my case to my D810.

Just my thoughts!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

My D300 story is similar to yours.  I'd been dragging my feet on going digital ever since Digital Darrell took the portrait that I use as my avatar with his D2X.  I could see every hair in my beard!  That was the picture that convinced me that digital had overtaken film.  But the price of the D2X was beyond my budget and besides it was too big.  I got tempted by the D200.  It's size and price were acceptable  but it's AF was a step backwards from my F6.  When the D300 was announced it covered all my objections:  it was about the same size as my F6, its AF and Matrix metering were both a step up from the F6, and the price was half of a D2X.  I ordered my D300 within 24 hours of its announcement.

I immediately fell in love with the D300 and I don't think I've used the F6 since.  I wasn't tempted to upgrade it until the D4 and D800/D800e were announced.  Having just received a nice inheritance I ordered a D4, and a few weeks later a D800e.  Thanks mom for your very nice gift to me.  Now the D300 sat on the shelf.  About a year later I sent it to Life Pixel for IR conversion.  I opted for the standard conversion.  Unfortunately I've never really been bitten with the IR bug, so the D300 spends a lot of time on the shelf with only occasional use.

I don't think I'll ever consider selling my D300 though.  I have to many good memories of using it.

Edited by Gary Poole, 16 January 2019 - 11:20 AM.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5522 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:02 PM

I have my 105 micro hooked up to my D300. I don't use it very often, but I plan on hanging on to it for as long as possible. It's a great camera. Jeff

[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#5 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:43 AM

So you had yours lR converted too Gary.

Bill

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#6 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

So you had yours lR converted too Gary.

I thought converting my D300 would breath new life into a good friend after it was replaced with the later generation.  Unfortunately I never got excited with about using IR.  Choosing the standard conversion is probably the least exciting of the IR options, so that probably has affected my opinion of IR,

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#7 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:13 AM

l was thinking about something tonight. About 2003 l was the guy who was in Wolf Camera and offended all the employees. l said "Digital photography isn't real." The D300 sure changed my mind lol.

Bill

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8044 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

My "digital moment" occurred in the late 90's when my son's school was offering family portraits for a reduced price.  The photographer was using a very large digital camera (brand long since forgotten by yours truly) with a back that allowed him to immediately see the results.  That reminded me of all the times that family members had said:  "There is no @$%^&* way that you are going to set up a dark room in this house".  I was hooked on digital right then and there.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22136 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

You will always regret selling your first love.  

However, you have to get rid of stuff, I know... I get rid of nothing!  I do regret selling my Pentax MX and all the trappings .... but I don't think I would ever run another roll of film through it.  So, the money was better spent on the D800 I purchased later.

Also, Digital Cameras, if they are like computers, will eventually fail.  The circuits and resisters etc get old and die.    Making it worthless.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2773 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:49 AM

lt's official. l shipped the D300 yesterday and it's officially gone. Was kinda hesitant about selling it because l kept it longer than l've ever kept a camera. Come to think of it, l've had the D7100 just as long as the D300 was my main body-5 years. Got the D300 in Jan 2009 and got the D7100 in Jan 2014. How the time flies.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users