• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22188 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

This was supposed to be a completely different story, but I will save that for later.

I went to Humber Bay East today to photograph my beloved Grebes.  I came across this Cormorant and took the opportunity to photograph it as well as the Grebes.  Two women approached me while I was at the Park today and after I spoke to them my blood was boiling!

Look closely at the Cormorant....

Attached File  Cormorant_1.jpg   303.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Cormorant_2.jpg   359.96KB   0 downloads

A fisherman purposely tried to snag the bird and reel it in with his fishing line and broke its wing!!!  :angry:  This poor creature, unfortunately, has a slow and painful death ahead as he cannot fly and most likely cannot feed.  He is simply sitting on any empty Grebe nest until he starves to death.

I cannot tell you the outrage I feel right now.  But it doesn't stop here..

Another fisherman tried to snag the Red Neck Grebe female while she was on her nest.  The Grebes have laid more eggs and have another nest of chicks on the way.  I will post these images later in another forum and put the link here. 

http://www.planetnik...showtopic=23555

Boaters have been coming into the no boating area and disturbing the nest because... they are entitled!

The two women I mentioned, Mary and Irene, are two very special people.  Irene saved the Grebe from being snagged and comes to the park two times a day to stop any more nonsense from any more like minded morons.  Mary, has have verbal exchanges with the boaters and has also chased away the fishermen who are relentlessly trying to snag the mother Grebe.

I wrote a letter to the editor of the Toronto Star today and send their contact information and pictures in the hope they will put pressure on the City of Toronto to send inspectors and or the Police.

Ruined my day, which was going really, really well! <_< !

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Very sad!

• Art likes this

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#3 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4365 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Jerks. You pull that cr@p at the Cleveland area Metroparks you'll end up wearing an orange jump suit.
  • Art likes this
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

Jerks. You pull that cr@p at the Cleveland area Metroparks you'll end up wearing an orange jump suit.

I am HOPING in a big way, we have a similar law....  I have started the wheels rolling on finding out and getting some sort of law enforcement to get involved.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15831 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

You can call (if you have them, we do) forest/nature center and they should be able to know who to send to help the bird. So, it doesn't pass. One of our local vets normally will help the nature center nurse them back. I zoo may also help.

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Dennis!  I will do that tomorrow, hope I get a few minutes at work!

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

This post brought a "flash back" from many years ago, (in my 20's so a long long long time ago  :) )

I was fishing with lures down our south coast,

As would have it, I caught a penguin!!!!!!!! oops! Got him in carefully got him off and safely released back to the water

As always, I had an audience, started to look like a lynching party!  :(

I retreated to vehicle and left,

If I had seen penguins in the first place, I would not have fished that area

I do see some cormorants when out in the boat but am very careful and pray that it doesn't happen again

Accidents do happen but anybody targeting animals in this way should be "justifiable homicide"

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Same here in Memphis we are not perfect but the Tenn Fish and Wildlife Officers will haul your butt off in a heart beat! This is very sad maybe the Comorant can be saved and nursed to health in a rehab center.

Jim

Thanks Art now I am angry with you very angry! :angry:

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Dang but now I am really boiling why mess with these grand animals they bring nothing but joy, to try and hook them knowing it is painful and most likely means the birds death for what reason NONE but to be a JERK!

Ok have to back off a bit, sorry!

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#10 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10821 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

So sad...

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I hear you, Jim.

So far, I have contacted the following:

City of Toronto

The Toronto Star Newspaper

Ministry of Natural Resources

Minister in charge of Natural Resources.....

All have been sent a letter and the images.

I will keep you posted....

Signature_Line_V4

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Good for you Art and thank you!

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#13 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

This makes me so angry.  I hope someone can go get the bird and help it.  

I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#14 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4365 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

We've got an animal rescue center here at the Penitentiary Glen nature preserve in Kirtland, OH. They might know of a place in Toronto.

("Penitentiary" in the name refers to the fact that there is only one way in or out of that canyon. If you get lost, you're trapped unless you can rope out.)

Edited by justshootit, 18 July 2014 - 10:08 PM.

• Art likes this
Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

I have one response from the City of Toronto only....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------

Hello Art,

Thank you for contacting 311 Toronto.

I have forwarded your email to the Ontario SPCA at info@ospca.on.ca

I hope this is helpful and please let us know if you require further information or assistance.

Regards,

Joanne M.

311 Toronto

Signature_Line_V4

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Did one more thing today.... emailed the Mayor of the City. 

Hey, you never know....

Signature_Line_V4

#17 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hey never know.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#18 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4365 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Re: Mayor -- He's had enough bad PR, he might jump all over this!!! B)
  • Art likes this
Don

#19 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Happy Day!!

Just got a letter from the Ministry of Natural Resources!!!

They have assigned an officer who is going down to the Lake to investigate!

Made my day.

I will keep updating as more information filters!

Signature_Line_V4

#20 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4365 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Have 'em enlist sniper-dood from Fotofill's post with a bean-bag load in that rifle. A couple of whacks in the skull with those puppies and they won't be back for a while :lol: if it'll scare off a bear, it'll scare off these losers. B)
Don

#21 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

:lol:

If it were only THAT easy!! ;)

Signature_Line_V4

#22 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Happy Day!!

Just got a letter from the Ministry of Natural Resources!!!

They have assigned an officer who is going down to the Lake to investigate!

Made my day.

I will keep updating as more information filters!

Bravo Zulu as we would say in the Navy!

Jim
  • Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#23 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

"Dirty Harry" had the right idea, you know it makes sense! problem solved!

#24 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

"Go ahead punk make my day" 

"Now, I know what you're thinking, Did he fire six shots or only five? To tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you have to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky?...Well? Do ya, punk?"

Jim

• Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#25 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

No sighting this morning!  I think either ... it was rescued ...  or ....

I did a good walk around the park this morning, just to be sure.  I am hoping it was rescued.  No sign of Fishermen this morning.

On the Evening News yesterday!...... City of Toronto is increasing patrols in Parks against Dog Owners who do not put them on a LEASH!! $360 fine!!  Gone up!

Hundreds of complaints logged at City Hall.

FINALLY!

Signature_Line_V4

#26 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8067 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

You can call (if you have them, we do) forest/nature center and they should be able to know who to send to help the bird. So, it doesn't pass. One of our local vets normally will help the nature center nurse them back. I zoo may also help.

You said what I was thinking, Dennis.  If Toronto is like Vancouver, there should be a couple of wildlife rescue groups.  That said, it sounds like Art is on this.  Don't give up, my friend.

Kudos, to those two ladies, Art.  There is a special place in heaven for folks like them.

Finally, as a boater, I'm embarrassed.  No boating zones mean just that:  NO BOATING!  I would love to smugly say that only dumb power boaters do poop like this, but I have seen incredibly stupid moves from the odd sailor or two as well.  Gives the rest of us a bad name.

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#27 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Mark, you are a responsible boater.  The people I am talking about here have no respect for the law and I am sure, are not representative of the typical boater or fishermen.

I have some good news....

The Police have gotten in touch with the two women I mentioned!  They will be patrolling both the park and the water way around the Grebe nesting area!  :)  I am delighted to hear this!

Signature_Line_V4

#28 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24112 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

More good news! :D

Jim

• Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#29 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3612 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

It's worth taking the time to do all you did Art. Thank you

• Art likes this
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#30 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22188 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

It's worth taking the time to do all you did Art. Thank you

Thanks, Phil.  I found it very satisfying.  Although, no culprit has been caught.

I have managed to mobilize 4 women who live in the area who are keeping a sharp lookout.  Two are all witnesses, the other two are friends and they are on a mission. 

We are going to try and get the city to put up "No Fishing, No Boating" signs in the area and add a stiff penalty for violation.  I will be quite proud of myself if this is accomplished.

You have no idea what a thrill it is to simply be able to go down to the Lake, park, walk on the boardwalk and witness Nature in its unadulterated glory, peacefully co-existing in this environment.  How many can witness they early life cycle of a pair of birds that have been driven away from the area due to the challenges of nesting they face?  And yet, here is an extremely successful pair who have added 7-8 new birds to the area in one season!

To have A-O's ruin that really, really gets my dander up. You have no idea how deep my desire is to get these clowns.  I really value this on many levels and feel I am obligated to use what ever resources I can to protect them.

I will be honest, I have little faith in the system or the clowns in it.  The interest level isn't there... but.... that also challenges me.

So, I will continue to push for this. 

I plan to write a new series of Letters to all the cast of characters involved later in the week.

As soon as something concrete happens, I will post it here.

Thanks! :)

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users