Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Thanks, Nathan

Vintage and classic automobiles, architecture, photography, music

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Anybody use Induro tripods?

I've been looking at Induro Alloy 8M AT313 alloy tripod.

Max Height w/ center col retracted  (no ballhead attached): 186mm

They cost $185 USD.

The other one I've looked that similar to the Induro is the one Jim has - the Manfrotto 055XV.

Edited by teagueAMX, 24 August 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Nathan

-- Nikon camera body: D810
-- Nikon lenses: 28mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D, 60mm 2.8D Micro, 85mm 1.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5G DX
-- Other gear: Acratech GP ballhead w/ Leveling Base, Induro CF214 Tripod, SunwayFoto L-bracket, SB-700 flash, pano mount

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24088 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

The Induro brand originally was very cheap and not very good but the last few years their QC has really gone up but so has the price. The model you mention I have never seen but my local store has had a few of the carbon fiber versions they seem very nice but I have never used one.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

The Induro brand originally was very cheap and not very good but the last few years their QC has really gone up but so has the price. The model you mention I have never seen but my local store has had a few of the carbon fiber versions they seem very nice but I have never used one.

Jim

Your Pro Manfrotto 055XV looks very similar to a Gitzo. I understand Gitzo and Manfrotto are owned by the same parent company.

Apparently it's discontinue but I found some new for around $189 USD.

Is it pretty stable?

Nathan

-- Nikon lenses: 28mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D, 60mm 2.8D Micro, 85mm 1.8G, 18-200mm f/3.5-5G DX
-- Other gear: Acratech GP ballhead w/ Leveling Base, Induro CF214 Tripod, SunwayFoto L-bracket, SB-700 flash, pano mount

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

Manfrotto user.  Heavy, but sturdy.  Really good, solid, quality tripod. Note the "heavy"... ;)

Signature_Line_V4

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24088 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

I love my Manfrotto and yes Gitzo and Manfrotto are owned by the same company. Like Art said Manfrotto is a super sturdy and solid tripod but they are not light even their carbon fiber tripods are heavier than most but they are reasonably priced and as mentioned solid.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24088 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

There is a new version of the 055 Pro  they call it the New 055 on their website.  I paid around 190$ for mine so that seems like a good price.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

It will depend. Induro is getting a bit pricy especially with their carbon since they got a few pro's to back them, like Vincent Versace for one. I'm not sure that means anything, they are made in China like most of the tripods, don't read cheaply made.

So, do you want a heavy sturdy tripod, or a sturdy lightweight tripod? Now, this is where you will need to be careful when lightweight and "cheap" comes into play. You will still need to get a good head for the tripod. Do you need it to go flat, or how low?

A good set of legs will be as high as you without using the center column. That would include; the legs, the head and your camera being really close to your eye level without stooping over. I don't think you can go wrong with Induro or Manfrotto. Here is a bit of caution, if you get Manfrotto heads, you will be in their system of mounting plates, they are not arca swiss compatible.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Manfrotto user.  Heavy, but sturdy.  Really good, solid, quality tripod. Note the "heavy"... ;)

Hi Art,

Appreciate your time and comments.

I've got a heavy old Velbon, so weight isn't so much a problem as I'm not a avid hiker. Not sure if it was ever considered a quality unit but given it's age, it still works OK - in a relative sense -_- .

It's real pain to set up. It's imprecise and the head, which I think is designed for video work is real crappy to work with. Once you think you have it set it will move around.

Thanks for your comments.

Nate

Edited by teagueAMX, 25 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

Nathan

#9 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hi Jim,

Great information.

Thanks

Nate

I love my Manfrotto and yes Gitzo and Manfrotto are owned by the same company. Like Art said Manfrotto is a super sturdy and solid tripod but they are not light even their carbon fiber tripods are heavier than most but they are reasonably priced and as mentioned solid.

Jim

There is a new version of the 055 Pro  they call it the New 055 on their website.  I paid around 190$ for mine so that seems like a good price.

Jim

Nathan

#10 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi Dennis,

Always appreciate your comments and experience.

Here's my ideal (at least what I think I want - that changes with time and experience):

-- a Gitzo Mountaineer Carbon Series 3 GT3531 w/ a Arcatech GP ballhead. That combo retails for around $1500. it would give me the flexibility I would like, but right now it's just a fantasy.

The other aspect of it is I'm working on putting my overall kit together. I'm trying to push the envelope tech wise, having to make compromoses, like everyone, and it's expensive. I may have an opportunity in the next couple of weeks to acquire a few items. You may notice I've been asking questions about other items as well.

Back to the tripod -

Right now I have to accept a heavier unit, but quick set up and being able to get a consistent configuration (height, leg angles, etc.) is important. As I mentioned to Art, above, I've got an old heavy clunker and it gives me a lot grief when I'm in he field.

The Manfrotto and Induro models seemed to be a good value for the money - heavy, but straight forward and more precision than what I'm dealing with now. A number of other tripods I've looked seemed to offer gimmicks rather than real quality.

The ballhead - I'm not really sure, I think one of the reasons I was leaning toward the legs I mentioned is they don't come standard with a ballhead. As you noted, being able to adapt standard attachments, plates, etc. is important.

Thanks

Nate

It will depend. Induro is getting a bit pricy especially with their carbon since they got a few pro's to back them, like Vincent Versace for one. I'm not sure that means anything, they are made in China like most of the tripods, don't read cheaply made.

So, do you want a heavy sturdy tripod, or a sturdy lightweight tripod? Now, this is where you will need to be careful when lightweight and "cheap" comes into play. You will still need to get a good head for the tripod. Do you need it to go flat, or how low?

A good set of legs will be as high as you without using the center column. That would include; the legs, the head and your camera being really close to your eye level without stooping over. I don't think you can go wrong with Induro or Manfrotto. Here is a bit of caution, if you get Manfrotto heads, you will be in their system of mounting plates, they are not arca swiss compatible.

Edited by teagueAMX, 25 August 2014 - 02:09 PM.

Nathan

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24088 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Manfrotto now makes Arca Swiss plate heads along side their own proprietary plates Dennis my local store has two AS Manfrottos.

http://www.dpreview....-release-system

http://www.bhphotovi...-release-system

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Ok, that sounds pretty good. I like the looks of the Induro and it has a decent load max at 33lbs. I have the bogen (Manfrotto) 3221 and a mefoto globetrekker.

For the ball head, that looks pretty good. I got this and more than happy with it; http://www.amazon.co...xb-52 ball head

If you don't need the panhead part, then you can save some $$$ and get it without it, see here; http://www.amazon.co...xb-52 ball head

It seems for about the same price, or less, you can get this and it hold 132lbs. It's right up there with RRS. I was a bit worried, but it is solid as a rock. I already banged it. Also, there are the other models, like the 44 series, a bit less cash and 88lbs, the low profiles are around $300. I really it, smooth and really strong when needed.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#13 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Manfrotto now makes Arca Swiss plate heads along side their own proprietary plates Dennis my local store has two AS Manfrottos.

Jim

Oh, I didn't know that. I will tell my friend, but I think he is already over the deep end as he has a lot of the plates already.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#14 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Dennis,

Great! You've given me some good info to chew on for a couple of days.

Thanks again.

Nate

Ok, that sounds pretty good. I like the looks of the Induro and it has a decent load max at 33lbs. I have the bogen (Manfrotto) 3221 and a mefoto globetrekker.

For the ball head, that looks pretty good. I got this and more than happy with it; http://www.amazon.co...xb-52 ball head

If you don't need the panhead part, then you can save some $$$ and get it without it, see here; http://www.amazon.co...xb-52 ball head

It seems for about the same price, or less, you can get this and it hold 132lbs. It's right up there with RRS. I was a bit worried, but it is solid as a rock. I already banged it. Also, there are the other models, like the 44 series, a bit less cash and 88lbs, the low profiles are around $300. I really it, smooth and really strong when needed.

Nathan

#15 Nathan Lanni

Nathan Lanni

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Jim,

Great info. 

Thanks for your help.

Nate

Jim

Nathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users