• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:43 PM

Digital photography requires a meaty computer with plenty of room to work in. Everyone needs another hard drive in time and popping for a bigger drive just makes sense. SATA 300 is the latest and greatest technology available in hard drives, so I thought my recent purchase would be of technical interest to those looking for fast hard drive space.

The SATA 300 spec is a 3.0 GB/sec burst transfer - pretty quick when copying or saving large digital files. It has what's called perpendicular recording technology - this new stuff. Perpendicular recording places data bits perpendicular to the magnetic media surface. The data bits are formed in upward or downward magnetic orientation corresponding to the 1s and 0s of digital data. Perpendicular recording gives hard drives a much larger areal density in which to store data because it can achieve higher magnetic fields in the recording medium.

So for less than a hundred ducats, this 320 GB drive is a cutting edge deal for folks like me who routinely run outta work space every 9 months due to commercial/wedding shoots and graphic design assignments, etc. It's time to slip another set of platters into an empty computer bay, so I'm adding another drive for a total of 600 GB of digital real estate.

This drive will serve as a master backup so I can delegate more scratch space for PS CS2 and other Adobe RAM-hoggin' apps like InDesign and Dreamweaver. Installation of SATA drives is just as easy as ATA's, so in about two minutes flat I'll have three drives keeping the office warm this winter.

Attached File  seagate.jpg   26.17KB   23 downloads
Read all about this drive at:
Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HHD Review

I got mine at Tiger Direct ($117 shipped) which has excellent customer service, by the way. You can do even better at Newegg - right here:
Seagate 320 HHD $95 w/ Free Shipping at Newegg

Keep in mind that a suitable power supply is needed as you add these items to your toaster. A quality built 550-watt power supply was recommended to me by DD so you can fill your PC up without a loss of power to the motherboard or other peripherals.
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

I second your recommendation....I purchased one that holds all my pics and videos..thinking about getting two more!!!! :)

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users