Photo

PureNatureStock.com is becoming a reality!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

I am just now setting up DNS to point to my webservers for PureNatureStock.com.

Within 24 hours or so, the basic website will be in existence as a real domain.

www.PureNatureStock.com

I have located software to use for the site, but IT IS NOT YET INSTALLED!

After I get the latest MySQL setup (was running vs. 3.5) and figure out how to compile GD under Windows PHP, and finally set up the PHP scripts for the site, it will be a full blown site able to accept photographer submissions, just like the big boys. It will have full keyword searching, commission tracking, all the bells and whistles.

Now...lets talk about image pricing. I want to do a mild form of Rights Managed instead of pure Royalty Free. I am thinking that I will charge $25.00 USD for the image for a 10-12 megapixel, with reducing sizes/costs down to web sized, and $15.00 USD for 3-8 megapixel, with the same style of reducing costs per reduced size.

For that cost the buyer gets to use the image for some limited period (we need to talk) maybe up to one year in whatever way they like. However, they will not be able to use the image to directly sell a product based on that image. For instance, if a puzzle manufacturer rents an image, they will not be able to use the image under the standard contract, but it will require an extended license fee of some amount. (We need to talk about that too)

This is an opportunity for us to band together and create our own form of boutique nature stock agency. Let's talk!

What I mean by Nature Stock is images with nature in them. They should be nature oriented, and can include animals, people, beautiful pastoral settings even including buildings. Anything "pretty" that is oriented toward nature. (No toaster ovens on white backgrounds)

I am opening this up to you now, for your input on image costs, term of image usage, etc. Let's talk!
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22563 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

DD I have no clue on this , but I will say for me it is very cool way for us to raise money for planetnikon. I would donate any money made on pictures I sell to the website. The only problem well not really a problem is I would rely on you what is worthy and acceptable for the stock agency. I am just learning the everyday stuff never mind stock stuff, ie what format to submit, size, ratio, color specs etc. I will read and learn as the experts like you and others exchange info. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • Interests:Nature, wildlife and macro photography, reading, hiking, backpacking, camping, dog and bird training

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Ditto what Jim said.... :unsure:
{any and all comments are welcome}

~Karen

#4 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:57 PM

As of 8:30 on Sunday evening, I have:

1. Prepared the www.PureNatureStock.com domain.
2. Installed PHP 5.2.1
3. Installed GD2
4. Ordered the Sales Software.

They have to approve the order, so I am awaiting an email from them with a path to download my software. Once I have the software, I'll be configuring the uploading system and start testing it.

If anyone is interested in helping me beta test our new STOCK PHOTO SITE (yay! :) ), please locate a few top quality nature-oriented JPEGS in the LARGEST SIZE you can possibly make them. No compression! (12 in Photoshop, Excellent Quality in Capture). Once I get the software installed (probably tomorrow) I'll give you the go-ahead for upload.

I will be offering both HTTP and FTP upload. This is EXTREMELY EXCITING for me, and I hope you can sense my enthusiasm. Not only will it help me support this site, but it will allow us all to make some money together. I am going to be offering stock on two levels:

1. Absolute Premo Incredible EXCLUSIVE Stuff.
2. Standard RF stock that is also on other sites.

Of course, the premo exclusive stuff will sell for more.

I think I'll set initial premo pricing like this: (PREMO pricing)

$25.00 for 12+ Megapixel Full-Size JPEG
$20.00 for 8-10 Megapixel Full Size JPEG
$15.00 for 3-7 Megapixel Full Size JPEG

And, for normal Royalty Free, we'll have to be more competitive: (RF pricing)

$10.00 for 12+ Megapixel Full-Size JPEG
$8.00 for 8-10 Megapixel Full Size JPEG
$6.00 for 3-7 Megapixel Full Size JPEG

Remember, the normal Royalty Free only applies to images you might have on other RF sites like iStock or Shutterstock. We have to be competitive with their pricing. RF pricing also applies to stock shots that are quite nice, but not your mind-boggling premo stuff. Images like basic textbook style stuff, like tree leaves (classified), plants (classified), ugly bugly shots (classified). So BEAUTIFUL nature shots will rent for more than run-of-the-mill editorial, book publisher, schoolhouse style imaging.

This allows the customer to rent up to a 9x14 inch image at 300dpi for a price that is higher than other sites and pays better commission. In order to pull this off, we are shooting for a better quality market than raw royalty free stock. We must offer premo quality images! We will be a boutique site with excellent coverage in the major national parks, deserts, and other interesting travel areas.

Nature stock is the biggest selling segment of the market! Nature stock also has the most competition!

However, by keeping our quality high, and my doing aggressive behind-the scenes marketing to book publishers, calendar makers, postcard makers, magazines, and other places that buy excellent nature stuff, we should be able to make some money.

I'll provide downloads for model releases and property releases for images that need them. Images with people will need model releases, without exception, due to the litigious nature of people these days.

Remember, this is a nature-oriented site, so no images of business people shaking hands over contracts, or cell phones on whilte backgrounds....unless, of course, the business persons making the agreement happen to be standing in front of Niagara Falls, and the cell phone is in the paw of Smoky the Bear.

I am soooo enthusiastic about this potential marriage of PlanetNikon and PureNatureStock that I am taking my blood pressure every ten minutes or so. Imagine...a PlanetNikon Boutique Stock Agency!

Are you ready?
Best regards,
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#5 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

Are you ready?

Ready, willing, and able!

I will look through my nature shots and pick out the best I haven't already loaded on RF sites, which is quite a few, since I have avoided loading nature shots on them.

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#6 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6650 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

Darrell, the idea is very appealing to me. I'm not sure how marketable my photographs would be, but I'd like to try it. As someone else suggested earlier, I'd donate any earnings back to Planet Nikon as I have a sincere interest in seeing you and the site succeed. I'd only ask to be apprised of any commercial interest in my images. In any event, count me in and tell me what I need to do.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#7 regandon

regandon

Planet Master Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1348 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

I have some I can post Darrell.
D. Regan

D2x
1D MK IIN

Nikon Camera Users Wildlife Group

#8 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:46 PM

Ron W said: Darrell, the idea is very appealing to me. I'm not sure how marketable my photographs would be, but I'd like to try it. As someone else suggested earlier, I'd donate any earnings back to Planet Nikon as I have a sincere interest in seeing you and the site succeed. I'd only ask to be apprised of any commercial interest in my images. In any event, count me in and tell me what I need to do.

Ron - If we enter into this together, it needs to be a joint effort and financially profitable for all involved.

This IS commercial interest all the way, Ron. These images could be used in brochures, books, reports, websites, or any other place that beautiful images are needed.

Most microstock agencies only pay about 20-40% commission. There are, of course, a LOT of operating and marketing costs, but, I don't think commissions should be that low. For many years the standard was 50%, and that is what I am going to use for basic RF stock. Premo stuff adds 10% to bring it up to 60% commission.

There is no need to donate YOUR profits back to PlanetNikon. That is not a long-term viable business arrangement. It requires work to make beautiful images, and you deserve to make money for your efforts. This is a mutual "business" arrangement.

This stock agency will be completely separate from my other businesses, with separate insurance, checking account, budgets, and all the rest. I plan on making a career out of PlanetNikon and PureNatureStock, long-term. (Along with my writing). I'm phasing out of the computer business that I've been in for 22 years.

This will be a SERIOUS business, and I am going to market it like the professional business it will is. I plan on regular marketing to image buyers. Mailers, phone calls, email, etc. It will take too long for them to find us, otherwise. My initial costs will be high, but I hope that I can make a profit within 5-years. You should make a profit as soon as I can convince buyers to start buying!

We must become known as a premium outlet for Nature and Wildlife stock. We can overcome the competition. It will take a bit, but we need to make some reasonable money to buy the next round of Nikkors. Get ready!

TCrowe said: It might be a good idea to tell us who haven't done this before what the format for image sizing is. I have no clue. Never done this. All the details, please. How to get there with the image etc. In other words, Hey, Dude, never even considered this before...what's a computer?

Tony - I need the largest JPEG you can produce. That is the bottom line. Full resolution, no holds barred, no extra compression. Highest quality you can produce.

All the formatting of the images will be handled by the software I have purchased. We will be offering a full sized JPEG, and a couple of other sizes down to web sized like 1024x768. Prices will drop with image size.

You don't have to worry about formatting. I will do all that. I just need the BEST images you can produce, and are willing to rent over and over and over and over.

If you have images that make other people say, "That's beautiful!" Those are the ones we want!

When my new site is active, there will be a private web page for you to log into. You will be able to add an image in a way that is very similar to posting one here. You will browse to your hard drive and find it. Then, when it is uploaded you can add keywords and caption information. If you have added keywords to you images in the ITPC data area, my software will pick those keywords up automatically.

I will also have FTP uploads available for those who know how to use FTP, and want to upload a lot of images at once.
Best regards,
Bodies
Lenses
Accessories:
Member of:

#9 mlphotography

mlphotography

Planet Hero Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

DD I like this. I also appreciate all you have done with planetnikon. I hope to be a longterm member. My wife has a marketing degree. Maybe she can help market this in the future. She keeps asking me when is all my time spent on the planet going to make me any money..... :D What ever you need DD. Thank you for your hard work. Allen

#10 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Some fast, some slow....

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

This is good news, I look forward to getting involved and getting images on line.....if they make the grade! Paul P.S. Darrell, you don't need to compile GD for Windows PHP, it's built in. Just uncomment the GD2 line in your php.ini file under 'windows extensions'.

#11 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

This is good news, I look forward to getting involved and getting images on line.....if they make the grade!

Paul

P.S. Darrell, you don't need to compile GD for Windows PHP, it's built in. Just uncomment the GD2 line in your php.ini file under 'windows extensions'.

Paul,

Yes, I found that out. It went much easier than a year or two ago when I first tried it. I am now using the latest stable GD2 out. Good stuff!
Best regards,
Bodies
Lenses
Accessories:
Member of:

#12 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • Interests:Nature, wildlife and macro photography, reading, hiking, backpacking, camping, dog and bird training

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Darrell, I just want to say that I feel your excitement and share in it. I'm here to support and help in any way I can.
{any and all comments are welcome}

~Karen

#13 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

For those interested, my software will also allow PRINT sales. If you do not want to do stock, then sell some prints instead.

If we finally decide to sell T-Shirts, Coffee mugs, and other items, my software also allows sales of that type of thing.

Hopefully it will be running today. I am waiting on a reply to a service request ticket I made at 4 a.m. this morning. All is up and ready, but now I need help with "activating" the site, and their activation server doesn't seem to be able to find my site.

Hey...would some of you open www.PureNatureStock.com and let me know if it is doing ANYTHING. Right now, you will see probably only see some PHP code in a little window if the site is active for the general public to view.
Best regards,
Bodies
Lenses
Accessories:
Member of:

#14 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19343 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

DD..like the idea, can devote more time after FASNET ends next week. Site is not working..

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#15 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

DD..like the idea, can devote more time after FASNET ends next week.

Site is not working..

When you say it is not working, do you mean that you see nothing? Or, are you getting a window with PHP code in it?
Best regards,
Bodies
Lenses
Accessories:
Member of:

#16 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19343 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

When you say it is not working, do you mean that you see nothing? Or, are you getting a window with PHP code in it?

OOPsss..sorry big guy...window with php code...

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#17 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Some fast, some slow....

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

Hiya - I'm connecting but like Jazz I'm just getting php code from what I presume is the default php page.... i.e. show_news == 1){ ?> Latest News Welcome to site_title; ?> ", "", $ca->article); $hp_copy = str_replace(" ", " ", $hp_copy); $hp_copy = str_replace("{COMPANY_NAME}", $setting->site_title, $hp_copy); echo $hp_copy; ?> show_news == 1){ ?> Featured Photos Newest PhotosMost Popular Photos Paul

#18 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hiya - I'm connecting but like Jazz I'm just getting php code from what I presume is the default php page....

i.e.

show_news == 1){ ?> Latest News
Welcome to site_title; ?>

", "", $ca->article); $hp_copy = str_replace("

", "

", $hp_copy); $hp_copy = str_replace("{COMPANY_NAME}", $setting->site_title, $hp_copy); echo $hp_copy; ?> show_news == 1){ ?>
Featured Photos Newest PhotosMost Popular Photos

Paul

That is expected right now, until I get my support ticket answered and the site "activated." Hopefully, this should be up today or tomorrow.
Best regards,
Bodies
Lenses
Accessories:
Member of:

#19 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

I have some I can post Darrell.

Don,

Your out-of-this-world images would probably sell well. If you have any you are willing to rent...
Best regards,
Bodies
Lenses
Accessories:
Member of:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users