http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:25 PM

I got tired of his, um,....... 'ramblings' many moons ago.  He seems to think he knows more about running a camera company than anyone else.

Perhaps he should actually TRY it some day.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20508 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

what does this mean, exactly?

"Which is why Nikon is working with TowerJazz on future sensors. Only problem there is that the TowerJazz plant that has all the features Nikon really wants to use in sensors isn't running at production levels yet. Nikon's next truly new cameras are thus a bit sensor-delivery dependent. I believe those truly new models to be mirrorless, and that implies on-sensor focus systems that aren't in current Nikon sensors. So new sensors. Probably BSI, and maybe Stacked BSI. And Nikon has had yield issues with the D850 BSI sensor they designed.

Talk about digging yourself into a hole. "

I think Thom doth protest too much.

Nikon has 3 unbelievable cameras on the market, what is the rush? Let he competition step up, then crush them again.  I see now hurry.  The D5 is unbelievable.  The D500 is simple amazing and the picture quality of the D850 is like nothing on the market.  Anyone see an immediate problem here?  I would say Nikon is on top of its game.  Too early to start complaining.

As for Mirrorless, yes, maybe they need to step up here.  And, I am sure they will.

As for SONY.... ROTFL ... who cares.

I think Thom was drinking when he wrote this rambling piece.

Signature_Line_V4

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6785 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

At the end of the day, the market will tell Nikon if they have guessed right.  :rolleyes:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23189 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

what does this mean, exactly?

"Which is why Nikon is working with TowerJazz on future sensors. Only problem there is that the TowerJazz plant that has all the features Nikon really wants to use in sensors isn't running at production levels yet. Nikon's next truly new cameras are thus a bit sensor-delivery dependent. I believe those truly new models to be mirrorless, and that implies on-sensor focus systems that aren't in current Nikon sensors. So new sensors. Probably BSI, and maybe Stacked BSI. And Nikon has had yield issues with the D850 BSI sensor they designed.

Talk about digging yourself into a hole. "

I think Thom doth protest too much.
Nikon has 3 unbelievable cameras on the market, what is the rush? Let he competition step up, then crush them again.  I see now hurry.  The D5 is unbelievable.  The D500 is simple amazing and the picture quality of the D850 is like nothing on the market.  Anyone see an immediate problem here?  I would say Nikon is on top of its game.  Too early to start complaining.
As for Mirrorless, yes, maybe they need to step up here.  And, I am sure they will.
As for SONY.... ROTFL ... who cares.

I think Thom was drinking when he wrote this rambling piece.

Agree!

Two points he makes thats valid one Nikon is boxed in with Sony supplying the sensors, glad to see they are looking at other companies to supply them.

Two the affordable FX lineup is stale they will need a D750/D610 update they are pushing 4 years now.

As far as DX Nikon has started to release new DX lens and update older ones so they seem to be trying to fix the DX lens lineup.

Mirrorless is more problematic they are way behind the curve here.

Last I read an article not to long ago that Nikon has fallen to third in many sales categories including FX but I hope the D850 helps here. Plus the article also mentioned they are helping one of their main rivals Sony by using Sony as a supplier hopefully they will find another source. Like Art I scoff at Sony but they are selling a lot of A7s blah Sony.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20508 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

I think Nikon will be right as rain with a hit out of the ball park in the Mirrorless Category.  I am not writing them off, in fact, I think they will do it right.

Locally, I see a lot of Nikon straps when I encounter photographers.  I don't really care if they are Number 1 in sales because I don't necessarily think that is an indicator. Big companies that are hugely diversified can push their sales with ad money. Nikon isn't SONY or CANON and yet, have the best camera on the market.  As long as they are a healthy company producing good gear, good enough for me.

Whether or not they own the pocket camera business or intro level means little to me. And, who knows, maybe in time, they will put out more feature rich, introductory level cameras to build a bigger base.  As I see it, their top three camera speak volumes.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on the next year and their recovery from their long sleep.

Signature_Line_V4

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23189 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

I think Nikon will be right as rain with a hit out of the ball park in the Mirrorless Category.  I am not writing them off, in fact, I think they will do it right.

Locally, I see a lot of Nikon straps when I encounter photographers.  I don't really care if they are Number 1 in sales because I don't necessarily think that is an indicator. Big companies that are hugely diversified can push their sales with ad money. Nikon isn't SONY or CANON and yet, have the best camera on the market.  As long as they are a healthy company producing good gear, good enough for me.

Whether or not they own the pocket camera business or intro level means little to me. And, who knows, maybe in time, they will put out more feature rich, introductory level cameras to build a bigger base.  As I see it, their top three camera speak volumes.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on the next year and their recovery from their long sleep.

Are they healthy Art? There are a lot of mixed signals on their health I honestly dont know.

Yes as of now they make the best DX D500 camera and best FX D850 camera so no argument there and the D5 competes well with Canons sports camera. Plus I have to say the D5500 for low end has some nice specs almost as good as the D50 :D

Mirrorless is another story they botched the Nikon One badly and it had potential. Maybe that will lay the ground work for a top of the line ML.

Around here I havent seen many Nikon  if at all, mostly Sony but we dont have a real camera store anymore so people are stuck with best buys camera section that is very heavy on Sony and Canon much less Nikon and Fuji.

I still think Nikon needs a sensor supplier not named Sony again Sony blah.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

Every time I hear Tom talking about how he knows more about running a camera business than Nikon does, I think of Homer being asked to design a car for the family.

TheHomer.png

#9 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23189 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:14 AM

Every time I hear Tom talking about how he knows more about running a camera business than Nikon does, I think of Homer being asked to design a car for the family.

TheHomer.png

Have to be honest but I agree. Thom is no dummy but I think much of his opinions are to drive up clicks to his website and his books. 

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6785 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

TheHomer.png

I have to ask:  where's the beer dispenser?  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#11 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have to ask:  where's the beer dispenser?  :lol:

As I understand it, the producers didn't want to include one as it may appear they endorse driving while under the influence.

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14880 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

Everyone will have their opinions. Nikon delivered to the pros with the D5. Since the D4 was very capable of shooting the last Olympics, alongside the D4s, is there a real need for a D5s?

Is their a need for a D5x when there is a D850?

Are the wildlife folks hurting with the D500?

There is a customer base that is asking for a good job in mirrorsless entry from Nikon. That is the ticket here. They missed the boat, and now in catch up mode. My feeling is that if Nikon doesnt beat what is out there at a competitive price. Then they will miss the boat with this customer base.

Time will tell.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#13 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 17 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

It wasn't long ago he was praising Nikon for a few things including the D7500 which everyone else were bashing.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#14 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

Have to be honest but I agree. Thom is no dummy but I think much of his opinions are to drive up clicks to his website and his books. 

Jim

I disagree. Thom actually has run companies, and companies that sold cameras/webcams. If he was only in it for clicks then he would have more ads in his site, open it up for comments, and do more click bait. I dont agree with everything he says but some of the comments on this thread seem to imply hes got no basis for his opinions or even has photography background.

Edited by nwcs, 18 December 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#15 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

Selling cameras ain't the same as making them.

#16 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23189 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

I disagree. Thom actually has run companies, and companies that sold cameras/webcams. If he was only in it for clicks then he would have more ads in his site, open it up for comments, and do more click bait. I dont agree with everything he says but some of the comments on this thread seem to imply hes got no basis for his opinions or even has photography background.

Not saying no basis but I do believe that a fair amount is calculated to drive interest. Look how he gets links and looks when he posts his more controversial pieces. As you say he sold and run companies so he knows how to generate attention.

That said I dont see that as a negative he is using his knowledge and position in the photography community to his advantage and that is just good business.

Plus I believe they are his heart felt beliefs and I do feel he is more credible than many on the internet.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#17 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Selling cameras ain't the same as making them.

What are you using as a basis for assuming what his experience is?

#18 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

What are you using as a basis for assuming what his experience is?

I've never seen a Hoganflex in any store.

Edited by 480sparky, 18 December 2017 - 05:16 PM.

• Art likes this

#19 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6785 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

Not saying no basis but I do believe that a fair amount is calculated to drive interest. Look how he gets links and looks when he posts his more controversial pieces. As you say he sold and run companies so he knows how to generate attention.

That said I dont see that as a negative he is using his knowledge and position in the photography community to his advantage and that is just good business.

Plus I believe they are his heart felt beliefs and I do feel he is more credible than many on the internet.

Jin

Nicely summed up.

He's doing what many marketing folks recommend in the age of the Internet.  Isn't right; isn't wrong.  It is what it is.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#20 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:57 PM

I've never seen a Hoganflex in any store.

You should look up Connectix from back in the day.

https://www.linkedin...om-hogan-bythom

#21 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:06 PM

You should look up Connectix from back in the day.

https://www.linkedin...om-hogan-bythom

Sure didn't see any cameras listed there.

#22 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Some of those Connectix products were cameras, as in were camera products. In any case he has actual experience developing physical products that deal with technology. Thats more than most of us here can claim. In any case, its not my job to defend him. So go on with this belief based on not much and Ill exit the conversation.

#23 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

If you click on the Connectix link, it takes you to a computer software company.  Again, not exactly cameras.

I once made my own interval timer for the windshield wipers of my car.  Does that make me qualified to critique General Motors?

Edited by 480sparky, 19 December 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#24 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20508 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:27 AM

Are they healthy Art? There are a lot of mixed signals on their health I honestly dont know.

Yes as of now they make the best DX D500 camera and best FX D850 camera so no argument there and the D5 competes well with Canons sports camera. Plus I have to say the D5500 for low end has some nice specs almost as good as the D50 :D

Mirrorless is another story they botched the Nikon One badly and it had potential. Maybe that will lay the ground work for a top of the line ML.

Around here I havent seen many Nikon  if at all, mostly Sony but we dont have a real camera store anymore so people are stuck with best buys camera section that is very heavy on Sony and Canon much less Nikon and Fuji.

I still think Nikon needs a sensor supplier not named Sony again Sony blah.

Jim

Are they healthy?

I think their next Financial Statement will show in the Black due to the overwhelming success of the D850.

Mirrorless?

They are out of the game until they are back in it.... with a killer product.  I believe they will introduce a killer product, similar to the D850.  Not the same camera, just the same "shock and awe" effect.  In high tech, you are never really "out of the game".  If they missed the boat, their R&D department can build a new boat for them! ;)

If they jump in (I say if, I believe they will ....!!! ) with a killer FX, sexy, fully compatible with all glass model, that is fast, hi-res and loaded with bells and whistles.... they are back in.  SONY did not make the sensor in the D850.  So, lets hope they have a new supplier that can deliver and SONY is out of the picture.  F_ _ _ SONY.  Who cares.

Remember when we were belly aching on Nikon?  We all wanted something special in this camera and in my opinion, they delivered.  I believe they will jump back into the game, like I expect them to.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.  Lets see how it plays out in 2018.
Signature_Line_V4

#25 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Nikon currently is healthy from a financial standpoint.  They are profitable in a declining market which is not easy.  They successfully have wound down the compact camera business which moved to smart phones.  While their profitability could be better, you don't go out of business when you have minimal debt and are profitable.  

The D850 has a host of mirrorless features so Nikon is pretty well positioned for a future camera.  The weak area with all mirrorless cameras has been AF - especially with lower light.  Nikon needs to have great AF because that's a feature of their current cameras and users would not accept lower performance.  Nikon has to take advantage of the current installed based of lenses and the F-mount.  Using the F-mount puts Nikon mirrorless as the most cost effective option for millions of customers.  If you don't use a Nikon lens, you might as well shop all brands because there is nothing sticky to keep you with Nikon.

The Nikon V1 was a very good camera.  It's not that the camera was bad - it was poorly marketed.  More than anything, it was a proof of concept for mirrorless.  But they did not improve and broaden the line and the strategy seemed half baked.  Still - for someone wanting a small camera, it was a pretty good start.  I think it still has merit as a small camera product line.

There is an ongoing need for refreshing lenses.  I'm not sure how much profit comes from lenses vs. cameras.  I wonder if low end lenses matter as the customer is not that sophisticated and just needs something functional.  At the high end, the market gets pretty small.  This means you improve with coatings, VR, and modest changes in design but you don't have huge improvements that are going to cause people to have a massive upgrade cycle.

There are a lot of ideas and opportunities for enhancements to camera bodies.   The wedding and portrait market has a lot of photographers that value small, light and cool.  This is also a market that needs a very good connection with social media - a big miss for Nikon with Snapbridge.  I don't think Nikon can be a one stop shop for smartphone photo software.  The market has too many players and moves too quickly.  There will always be new tools.  Nikon needs to be a platform with a computer that pairs well and works with others.  I'm thinking Apple CarPlay rather than designing Mac software.  The interface needs to be familiar - not new.  

Thom Hogan is a smart guy, but I would not want to manage him.  How can someone be so critical and still represent himself as a Nikon specialist?  Hogan should be an advocate for Nikon like Dave Black, Vincent Versace, and other Nikon Ambassadors.  He does not need to be negative and complaining in half of his posts.  He sounds like a spoiled child.  He may have some good ideas, but he has a lot of misses and reminds me of a typical IT worker who knows everything but can't work in a team.  If I was Nikon I'd get as far from Thom Hogan as possible and would not waste time with dialog or discussion.  He's a pain in the donkey and not someone you would be able to collaborate with.  

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users