3 replies to this topic

#1 George K

George K

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

According to NikonRumors, Nikon USA to stop selling camera parts to independent repair shops.

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9848 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

George, I can understand the reasoning behind the decision as it underlines the need to keep benchmarks high in respect of repairs. Poor workmanship can impact the brand name. Obtaining the appropriate qualification / certification will guarantee the level of workmanship. Just my thoughts! :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19582 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

I think, this is a good move. One the one hand, I agree with Herman's assessment. On the other hand, it cuts out a part of the service market that was most likely more reasonably priced than what NIkon or "Nikon Authorized" may charged. This isn't really an unusual move, per say. Many companies sell parts only to dealers who follow the dealer repair guidelines. Makes sense. It also controls who you send your schematics and diagrams to and gives you control to some degree, over the quality of work. I don't know the camera industry that well. I am surprised to see they sold parts to anyone who had a repair shop. I think, what this means to consumers is possibly more expensive repairs in the future. Sounds like an investment in some (diagnostic?) equipment is involved.

Edited by Art, 18 January 2012 - 10:32 AM.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3200 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

This may narrow the market as to whom you send gear to for repair. Being "Nikon Authorized" cost a shop a lot of money. Someone has to be Nikon trained and they pay for all that training. I live near Atlanta and there are many Nikon fix-it shops there. However, sending directly to Nikon is probably a better choice. Gear returns to you in condition as near to "new" as they can get it. They clean and adjust everything. A local shop will fix what is broken and clean what is dirty, but may not spec-out the whole piece. I have learned a lesson and it did remove hard-earned $ from my pocket.
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users