• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22574 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

When I read DD's post on PN's stock agency closing I figured I would just give up. But I saw DD recommend Photoshelter so I said what the heck. Well they accepted 2 of my photos outright and one soft rejection due to administrative issues that I have corrected. So now I am going to look over some of my photos give them a closer look and submit a few more. I will never equal all the big time stock photographers but it is nice to have someone say hey this is not to bad we would be glad to host your image. Last I want to thank DD again he has really helped me with this. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that´s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:50 AM

Jim - you´re a very good photog so being accepted by a stockagency is just a logical consequence of your constant work. Congrats!
Cheers

Virgil

#3 Mickaisy

Mickaisy

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Photography of course! And rockin the upright bass.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

Congratulations! My only question is what in the world is stock photography??? I searched on here and randomly on the internet but nothing anyting specific was found. It seems like it has to do with selling photos to websites maybe? but why call it "stock?" Thanks!
d5000 DSLR!

18-55mm vr nikkor lens
55-200mm vr nikkor lens which decided to stop working :(

#4 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19350 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

Congrats..soon to be FF Jim. Now I know where I can buy a D700 when the time comes...this is a good start for you and next month, you can get a D3..Posted Image

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#5 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:16 AM

Stock photography is just the use of Stock Agencies to sell the use of your photographs for you Mick. Stock because they keep thousands of images in stock from different photographers on all subjects, so instead of a firm having to specially commission a photographer to go out and shoot a specific subject they can look through an online catalogue of a stock agency and select the type of image they want at a far cheaper price than hiring a photographer themselves. These agencies are used by magazines, firms compiling catalogues etc etc. If an agency accepts any pictures from you it puts them in it's catalogue and if they sell you get the money less the agencies cut. However you don't get much per picture so have to rely on selling in significant quantities to make a meaningful sum from your photography. Also I gather they don't usually bother sending you a cheque for photographs sold until it is a reasonable sum worth making a cheque out for. Therefore if you only sell the odd few images you may not get paid for some time. http://en.wikipedia....ock_photography Congratulations Jim and I hope your pictures sell well. As always it depends on how good the agency is in selling your work how much you make, not always how good a photographer you are alas. There are so many stock agencies around starting up now and competing for business, but to offset that more and more clients are using agencies rather than commissioning photographers themselves. Still it never hurts to put your images with them instead of just leaving them unused on the computer, and you may make some money. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#6 Paul Lan

Paul Lan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

Glad for you James, congratulations.
Paul Lan

D70, D70s, D200, D300, D300s, D700, Df 50mm F1.4, 17-55 F2.8, 70-200 VR F2.8 50mm 1.8

#7 Paul Lan

Paul Lan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:46 AM

Should say Jim instead of James !!!
Paul Lan

D70, D70s, D200, D300, D300s, D700, Df 50mm F1.4, 17-55 F2.8, 70-200 VR F2.8 50mm 1.8

#8 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19350 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

Should say Jim instead of James !!!

Paul...but in another 24 hours, he will be getting the D700 and then we can call him FF Jim....Posted Image Posted Image

Right Jim??????Posted Image

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#9 Mickaisy

Mickaisy

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Photography of course! And rockin the upright bass.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

Stock photography is just the use of Stock Agencies to sell the use of your photographs for you Mick. Stock because they keep thousands of images in stock from different photographers on all subjects, so instead of a firm having to specially commission a photographer to go out and shoot a specific subject they can look through an online catalogue of a stock agency and select the type of image they want at a far cheaper price than hiring a photographer themselves. These agencies are used by magazines, firms compiling catalogues etc etc. If an agency accepts any pictures from you it puts them in it's catalogue and if they sell you get the money less the agencies cut. However you don't get much per picture so have to rely on selling in significant quantities to make a meaningful sum from your photography. Also I gather they don't usually bother sending you a cheque for photographs sold until it is a reasonable sum worth making a cheque out for. Therefore if you only sell the odd few images you may not get paid for some time.

http://en.wikipedia....ock_photography

Congratulations Jim and I hope your pictures sell well. As always it depends on how good the agency is in selling your work how much you make, not always how good a photographer you are alas. There are so many stock agencies around starting up now and competing for business, but to offset that more and more clients are using agencies rather than commissioning photographers themselves.

Still it never hurts to put your images with them instead of just leaving them unused on the computer, and you may make some money.

Dave Whiteley

Thanks for the great info Dave!:)
d5000 DSLR!

18-55mm vr nikkor lens
55-200mm vr nikkor lens which decided to stop working :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users