#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6520 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Very interesting..

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22582 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Hmm interesting interview, Nikon is banking on FX vs DX. But many who like mirror less size is a key factor.

As far as the Df I still want one.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14354 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

It's rather interesting. He doesn't want to make the DF2 because they didn't sell a lot of DF. But, he likes it and has one, involved in a FB club for it.

He says that the others can't do what Nikon can do for mirror less. That, Nikon is working on a full frame that the others can't.

My guess is; it maybe the DF2 isn't in the works as an SLR, but as a mirror less. I also noted that, even thought he's not a collector, he really thinks it cool that you can put a vintage Nikon lens on the DF.

Just think, mirror less that has an F mount, but just shoots stills. A second, that can shoot videos. A third that is geared to sports. It would be the only mirror less that has a full complement of lenses. If you want to do both, stills and video, you get two bodies.

Would Nikon do that?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5296 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:07 AM

Nikon customer base is very broad, from novice to enthusiasts to prosumer to professional, that’s Nikon’s advantage. Olympus, Sony and Fujifilm can only cover a small part of that. So far there is no professional using their products. So when they develop products, even like retro style, they only try to meet these people and that’s only what they can do. Their customer base is limited anyway so they have limited view in developing products.

Everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - that is wrong with Nikon in one paragraph.

It is this arrogant, elitist, blinkered and frankly obnoxious attitude that has gotten them into their current hole and it will keep them there if that is how they view the rest of the photographic industry. 

I am fuming having read that.

I am disgusted that a brand I followed for close on thirty years can come out with such a statement.

I am done with Nikon.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14354 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

Yes, that is one of the dumb, and sad part of the comments. That right there shows how out of touch they are. Glyn Dewis just switched from Mac to PC, and just got a Sony Ar7II with an 85/1.4 for it. He's jumping ship from cannon because they aren't listening to their base.

Frank Doorhof also switched to Sony, also switched his computers. Some of the D850 testers also have Sony or Fuji cameras. I know a lot of brand owners and either Sony or Fuji cameras.

Nikon should remember the F100 and the F5 outcome. While they did sell F5's pro, those same pro's got an F100 as a second body. Some pro's got the F100 over the F5 because of size. Prosumers got the F100. The light meter differences between the two, wasn't an issue for folks that know how to shoot. Frans Lanting used the F100 over the F5 because it was easier and lighter to carry around.

😟

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22582 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

What's troubling is both Fuji and Sony have pros who shoot their cameras and I'm sure Olympus has working pros. Why would Nikon go there and let's be honest many high profile pros use the system that gives them the best deal.

Jim

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22582 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

I still want a Df but the price is crazy it's really a D600 af system with a D4 sensor.

Keep hoping to find a good deal on a used one.

Jim

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6184 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - that is wrong with Nikon in one paragraph.

It is this arrogant, elitist, blinkered and frankly obnoxious attitude that has gotten them into their current hole and it will keep them there if that is how they view the rest of the photographic industry. 

I am fuming having read that.

I am disgusted that a brand I followed for close on thirty years can come out with such a statement.

I am done with Nikon.

I'm not ready to say that I'm done with Nikon, BP, but excellent points nonetheless.  The attitude in that interview looks very similar to the views that GM, Ford and Chrysler used to have about Toyota, Honda and Nissan.  We all know how that movie ended.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19612 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

I am a Nikon fan, through and through, as far as the product goes.

I am an Apple die hard fan, as far as the product goes.

I don't like the culture in either company and I am not prepared to give either up.  Forget Apple for now.

Talk Nikon.

The problem with this company is also the reason they make a great product.  The Culture!

Robin, they are no longer in a hole.

Their brand is solid.  People don't really remember yesterdays news.  The D850 and the D500 and... the slightly dated but still mighty D5 have them solidly back in the game.  In my area, people are talking a lot about the D7500 as well!

Their lens lineup is superb.

With the announcement of a full frame mirrorless, and it will be a ground breaker, they will in all likely hood, be ... should I dare say it..... back on top.

The D850 has rejuvenated morale, and most likely, the bottom line. I had my doubts before, but not now.  I believe they are headed in the right direction and have somewhat solid leadership.  I can be and will be more enthusiastic if they deliver a sold QC D850 and follow up with a category killer mirrorless.  Then look out.  Not that the masses will switch to mirrorless, but it is where everything is going.  Late in the game in Hi-tech means nothing if you come out on top.

The statements made by Mr. Tetsuro Goto are a little out in left field. Maybe, some of it was lost in the translation and, yes, there is arrogance, but the disdain is most likely directed at the competition.  When I had my computer company, you think I liked my competition? WE were the best, period. We acted that way, we believed it and we grew to be one of the biggest in the country. I am going to write it off as part of being on top.  Although, I wouldn't have said it publicly! This is commentary for sales meetings, not public consumption.

For myself, I am no fan of SONY and would absolutely NEVER consider switching to them, EVER.

Canon, very unlikely.

Olympus? As much as l like them, unlikely.  And I do like them.

Fuji would be where I would turn, but to be honest, reluctantly.  As much as I like their product, I simply LOVE Nikon more.  It would be a blow to change over 100% because I simply don't want to.

I like the Nikon brand and the product.

I did raise an eyebrow to that commentary when I first read it, but laughed it off. Its like I half expected it.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22582 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

Product wise Nikon is knocking out of the park right now, financially im not sure they are out of the woods yet. That said the D850 should help the bottom line.

I'm not leaving Nikon for their corporate issues it's mostly a monetary thing I can buy more with Fuji and Fuji is producing a product that fits my shooting preferences.

But Nikon is still the gold standard just financially out of my reach Nikons middle of the road cost more than Fuji's flagship camera excluding its MF GFX.

Jim

#12 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6184 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I'm not leaving Nikon for their corporate issues it's mostly a monetary thing I can buy more with Fuji and Fuji is producing a product that fits my shooting preferences.

Jim, as long as enthusiasts like you feel a need to make a post like that, Nikon is NOT out of the woods by any stretch.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6184 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

Thom Hogan has some thoughts on this:

http://www.dslrbodie...-mirrorles.html

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19612 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Again, I take Hogan with a grain of salt.

I will never drop serious coin on a mirrorless unless it is full frame and backward compatible. Don't care what the rest of the market does.

FX IS my format.  All the marketing hype and buzz in the world isn't going to change that.

I believe, rightly or wrongly, Nikon is on the slide UP. They have a strong stable and now, just have to stay the course.

They need:

Solid QC on the D850

Upgrade to the P900... 950?

Solid Mirrorless plan and model(s)

maybe, a polish on the D5

Glass is superb

Clean up the low end, entry level with some price adjustments that are friendly to the new users....

and a Marketing Program that gets people excited.  Maybe, its time to call Chiat Day or the like. Take e a page from Apple's playbook.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22582 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Again, I take Hogan with a grain of salt.

I will never drop serious coin on a mirrorless unless it is full frame and backward compatible. Don't care what the rest of the market does.

FX IS my format.  All the marketing hype and buzz in the world isn't going to change that.

I believe, rightly or wrongly, Nikon is on the slide UP. They have a strong stable and now, just have to stay the course.

They need:

Solid QC on the D850

Upgrade to the P900... 950?

Solid Mirrorless plan and model(s)

maybe, a polish on the D5

Glass is superb

Clean up the low end, entry level with some price adjustments that are friendly to the new users....

and a Marketing Program that gets people excited.  Maybe, its time to call Chiat Day or the like. Take e a page from Apple's playbook.

After seeing the size and quality of Fuji's DX Xtrans sensor files and how well they handle noise I am no longer thinking FX is the only way. Plus those who want to go mirrorless usually want smaller and the laws of physics say you can not make FX lens that much smaller look at Sony's monster G Master lens on their A7 and A9 so DX seems to be the perfect in between the real small m4/3 and FX.

If I was a wildlife shooter or sports shooter I would be hauling around a D500 that would be my weapon of choice. If I was rich I'd have all the Fuji lens and bodies and a D500 and D850 with a full rack of lens so I could use a different combo every day. :D

Now Nikon has a great top end linup but to make money they better start looking at the lower end to get people into Nikon, but seeing their prices except the D500 and to a lessor extent the D850 they are pricing many out especially with the cost of their glass. The one thing that helps to keep people in a Nikon system is they can get pro grade glass from Tamron and Sigma but does not help as much for Nikon's bottom line as much.

One more thing Nikon does almost no TV ads here in my area I see Canon all the time and occasionally Sony and Fuji but no Nikon not one in the last few years since they stopped the Nikon One commercials. They should be flodding the TV with Nikon P900 ads and throw in a few D500 and D850 ads on the sports channels.

Jim

#16 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6184 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

Jim, in fairness to Nikon, I never see any Canon TV ads in our market either.  Both companies have lots of ads in the print media that I receive.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#17 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22582 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

Jim, in fairness to Nikon, I never see any Canon TV ads in our market either.  Both companies have lots of ads in the print media that I receive.  :)

I see Canon ads all the time mostly for the rebel line up and now the EOS M, Sony also advertises for their A6xxx series and a few for the A7 and last week I saw my first Fuji ad in some time. Plus I will say this Fuji Canada has some of the best YouTube videos on the how to and features of their cameras they call themselves the Fuji guys and gals.

In the end the D850 is going to gen up interest and the D500 is tops throw in the P900 and its replacement Nikon is laying a foundation they just need to get out and beat their own drum a bit IMHO.

Jim

#18 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6184 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

They must think that the Vancouver market is too small for TV ads.  Who knows?

I agree with you about the potential interest for the D850.  If Nikon gets the marketing for that right, it is a potential MAJOR game changer.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users