• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

I just ordered Adobe Lightroom after buying Capture NX based on all the hype it has produced. I'm not too drawn to NX's interface and lack of organizational skill - hence the Lightroom purchase ($95 at Studica.com for students, BTW). Several review have me pretty pumped about LR's feature set. Hovering the mouse over an area for color and other adjustments without creating selections is very intriguing. That and making sense of all those dupe exposures to wrap up a wedding or event is also what I'm looking for. Batch saves to sized print files for upload to White House Color via FTP will also be a huge help. In the end, I'm sure the purpose of each software is not the same for every photog - but I need LR for the organizational skills to handle a day's shoot expediently. Anyone have their experience to share on this app? Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#2 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

Mule, I'm trying to figure out abut LR. I got Scot Kelby's book but do you know of any other good ones? You seem to be on the right track for your needs. Thanks, Gaye

#3 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hi Mule, Someone asked me the other day if I use Lightroom or Photoshop CS3... I never thought I would say it, but I'm now at probably 80/20 Lightroom/Photoshop for my imaging workflow. Almost everything I NEED to do, I can do in Lightroom. Some of the fancier manipulations still require a trip to Photoshop, but then it's back to Lightroom for printing. For example, after last weekend's airshow, I had roughly 2100 images to sort through...many of which were blurred (see my previous post on using too slow a shutter speed...d-oh!). What would have taken me a week in Bridge / Photoshop, I did in about 2 hours in Lightroom. Now, I still went to Photoshop for some frame treatments, text and stuff like that, but the organization, culling of bad images, choosing of keepers, and basic image processing of the keepers was all done very quickly and easily in Lightroom. Scott Kelby's Lightroom book is absolutely the best, but there aren't too many to choose from yet. I also have Martin Evening's Lightroom book (though I like Kelby's better..more readable, better organization). I don't use NX, so I can't comment on that, but being a real die-hard Photoshop guy who's very comfortable with Photoshop, it's been difficult for me to admit to myself that there's another program that can do a large part of what I normally do in Photoshop, and in a much more intiutive and easy-to-use manner. Granted, they have somewhat divergent purposes after a point, but Lightroom is beautifully designed, and a JOY to use. Can't recommend it highly enough! Best, Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#4 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23466 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:30 PM

Well I have both and I am having trouble with NX playing nice with Lightroom, NX is more detailed in its RAW functions than lightroom yet unless I convert to a TIFF or JPEG my NX RAW corrections do not show up in lightroom. I was hoping Lightroom would be my everyday organizer and batch program and NX my heavy fix program I can not afford CS3 and I feel NX reproduces better color than lightroom. Of coarse this could be my lack of knowladge as I am still learning. All that said I wish I could merge parts of both programs as for me LR is better at some things and NX is better at others. In the end I am still learning and playing so stay tuned I should really learn just one at a time. Also if you are not using NX for RAW heavy work and are using CS3 or 2 LR is the way to go it does a nice job on batch stuff. Now a friend has me looking at Acee Dcee something(I have no plans to get this) I am in software overload but I really really like the function of NX for RAW. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 TeeCee

TeeCee

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Mule,Jon and Jim. All your comments are helpful to me. I hope you keep them coming. Gaye

#6 mr_adey

mr_adey

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

......unless I convert to a TIFF or JPEG my NX RAW corrections do not show up in lightroom. ...
Jim

Hi Jim,

I am a newbie to NX - infact my 30 day trial runs out today and I am wondering whether to invest in it or not. I have Elements 3 but as I am running Windows 2000, I cannot upgrade to Elements 5, or consider Lightroom.

Anyway, back to your quote. The reason you don't see the corrects you make to NEFs is that NX does not change the raw NEF image. When you save the image with you adjustments, what you save is the original image plus information about what adjustments you made. I guess they get added to the original file but there is no reason that Lightroom et al would be able to read or take that information and apply identical changes to the raw image.

Overall, I think NX works well and I'm thinking of shelling our the 100 for the full version.

All the best,
Adey

Film&nbsp&nbsp FM2N | F5&nbsp | Rolleiflex 6008 SRC Pro | Minox GT-X

Digi &nbsp&nbsp 995 | D70 | D2X | S3 | D3

Lens &nbsp&nbsp AIS 28-85 3.5/4.5 macro | AIS 24 2.0 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp| AIS 105 2.5&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp | AIS 50 1.8
Lens &nbsp&nbsp AF-S 28-70 2.8 ED &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp| AF-S 70-200 2.8 G ED VR | AF-S 17-35 2.8 ED | AF-S 300 2.8G VR
Lens &nbsp&nbsp AF-S 14-24 2.8G ED&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp| AF-S 18-70 3.5/4.5 G ED&nbsp| AF 85 1.4 D&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp| AF 35 2.0 D

Flash

#7 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

All- I just went through several hundred wedding images to create a base album and LR was awesome - culled and color corrected in an hour and uploaded to White House Color after a batch save as JPG's for 4X6 prints. Intuitive. Flexible. Well featured for a first release. Bam! Done! Lightroom! I echo Jon's comments - PS can't do these moves anywhere as easily. NX is a different animal and one I don't want to have to tame. With its integration with PS and the inevitable future enhancements yet to be delivered, Lightroom are gonna make this the RAW photog's powerhouse postprocessor - I strongly suggest this program for the long haul... Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR

#8 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

I'll be the odd man out here and say that I haven't been at all impressed with Lightroom B) . What can it do that Bibble doesn't do better? I also found it awful for pulling pictures off memory cards, very unclear what it was doing. You all seem to find it intuitive but I didn't find it intuitive at all. I don't like the layout of either. I love Photoshop but I just can't seem to get along with Lightroom.
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#9 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

Rebel- If anything it is much easier than PS - and the organizational tools are what save so much time. It is a new experience but one i enjoyed right off compared to NX. Working within folders and processing in batches is what makes LR so useful, even though it does equally well with individual images too. I love being able to work in the Library to preview and sort, switch to Develop to tweak or correct a single image or a batch, then go back to the Library and carry on to sort out keepers and losers. Haven't done much with the Print or Web areas yet but they appear to be extensions of PS so expect a short learning curve there. It has already cut my PP time in half or better - on the first day!
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

#10 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

Haven't done much with the Print or Web areas yet but they appear to be extensions of PS so expect a short learning curve there.

Mule,

You'll love the print module... I do almost all of my printing from there now, even though Photoshop CS3 has simplified the print process. The fact that I can adjust my print layout on the fly in LR, print contact sheets from any file format, or finished gallery prints makes it a joy to use... My only complaint is that I don't see any way to save the contact sheets or print layouts as a finished image file (e.g., PSD or TIF). That would be cool as there are some default print templates that can result in some pleasant surprises.

Best,

Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

#11 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for your feedback, Jon. Keep your experiences coming. In fact, I suggest we create a LR Forum - what say ye? I'll propose it to the powers that be...
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

#12 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19626 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

Attached File  agree.jpg   21.38KB   28 downloads I love Adobe PS LR...been using since Beta3 Windows.... Would love a forum...

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#13 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:30 AM

In fact, I suggest we create a LR Forum - what say ye? I'll propose it to the powers that be...

Hi Mule,

I say a hearty "Aye, mate!" (Just saw Pirates: at World's End last weekend...still in a piratey speak mode). I think a separate LR forum would be great! It would be a cool place to share presets as well... For example, I've saved a number of print layout presets that other folks might find useful (if I can figure out how to export/ share them). I know there are also develop presets that you can download from all over the place. So, yeah, I think it would cool!

Jon

Edited by Jon H., 01 June 2007 - 11:32 AM.

Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA

#14 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

Jon- You're officially on the PlanetNikon Lightroom Advisor Board - congratulations! Create a Presets thread that we can anchor as a starting point for that sorta stuff, wouldja? We/You can update it as we accumulate the info. Thanks! Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

#15 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

Jon-
You're officially on the PlanetNikon Lightroom Advisor Board - congratulations!

Create a Presets thread that we can anchor as a starting point for that sorta stuff, wouldja? We/You can update it as we accumulate the info.

Thanks!

Mule

Ha! Thanks Mule! I posted a thread in the post-processing forum with instructions on how to use Lightroom presets, but don't seem to be able to attach the preset files... They're text files, and I can use the "choose file" file button to locate them on my hard drive, but clicking "Add This Attachment" doesn't seem to do actually attach them to the post. I thought it might work like attaching a PDF. Maybe it's because they have a .lrtemplate file extension?

Any thoughts?

Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA

#16 Frosty

Frosty

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:My wife and kids are #!, Photography is my complete joy, Landscaping,<br />HVAC and Refrigeration work.

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hi everyone, It's been a while since I've posted. I like both programs very much, they both have pluses and minuses. I like the color control points in NX, very easy to use and really quick. I also like the fact you get the truest colors out of .NEF files, the only major draw back for me is it can be slow. Lightroom is freakin' fast and has so many things you can do in just one program, the only thing I don't like about LR is the color difference in .NEF files. I've read you can set presets to emulate .NEF files with the D200 but nothing for the D300 yet. Aperture 2.0 has received great reviews however it's still slow on my my G5, I wish Apple would get this taken care of and give LR some competition. This program has the potential to be a real Hit with Photographers. Just my 2 cents. Frosty

#17 Guest_arronlee_*

Guest_arronlee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

I am testing about the relevant pdf to tiff conversion program. Any suggetsion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.   

Best regards,

Lee

#18 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23466 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

Lee this is a very old thread several of the posters have not posted in years I would suggest you start a new thread asking your question.

Thanks Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users