• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Been away a lil bit but when I want answers..I always come to my family. Here goes..

Photoshooting a long time and have TBs of Raw files from picture taken from Korea, USA, Germany, Parties, Events, Weddings and Just Shooting Shots..etc...and some of the files contain pics and images of people that I will never see again or no interests.

What are some recommendation from the PlanetNikon family that I may consider?

Der Jazzer..

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23640 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

Buy a cheap external drive and store them there just in case.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

If you really want to keep them, you need 3 copies stored at 3 distinct locations.  2- and 4-gig external drives are getting cheaper every day.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:43 AM

I went and bought a 4tb external drive and loaded all of the old images on to it.  I then unplug it and only plug it back in when down loading more images that i don't need at this time.  By unplugging it i don't have to worry about accidental deleting or power surge spikes and the like.  

Edited by CaseyJM, 11 August 2018 - 04:44 AM.

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#5 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

I use a Blu-ray disc drive and write the files to BD discs. Each disc holds about 25 GB of data (single layer) and about double that for double layer. One of the pros is that optical discs are not susceptible to head crashes like a regular HD drive. One of the cons is that the Blu-ray drives are more expensive than a standard DVD drive, but it's not like they are hundreds of dollars. I don't yet have so many files that I am lacking in HD space - I have 12 TB of extra HD drives in my main computer. So the BD discs are mainly for backup at this point in time.

Peter

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:31 AM

PJ, the general consensus is leaning towards external drives.  I agree with that because they're affordable and readily available.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15334 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:52 AM

For events, that I do once and not really need. I create a separate catalog in Lightroom on an external drive just for the event. Import all the raw files there. Any work I do is then kept altogether. Jepgs that are created, also on that drive. Then when its all over, the drive is stored. In the off case, which has happened, I just connect the drive, point to the catalog and everything is there.

I like the Blu-ray backup idea. I could free up a few externals that way.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

If you really want to keep them, you need 3 copies stored at 3 distinct locations.  2- and 4-gig external drives are getting cheaper every day.

You mean 2TB and 4TB?? I've seen 6TB also but haven't priced them.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

My conclusion was it was not worth the time to go through old files image by image. 

I try not to make the problem worse by rating every photo I take on a scale of 1-5.  I discard my 1 and 2 rated files, keep my 3 rated files just in case, and only edit a subset of my 4 and 5 rate photos.  For example, I might have 4 frames that are very similar rated 4, but I just pick the one I want to edit (using a color tag) and don't dwell on whether it is the perfect photo since I keep them all anyway.  I do all the front end rating and other tasks in Photo Mechanic because it is so fast and does not need to create new previews.  It uses the embedded JPEG in the RAW file.  I only import to LR the images I plan to edit. 

This whole rating system emphasizes touching images as few times as possible, and creating a buffer in case I miss something.  I would rather be fast than perfect.  Today I downloaded 250 images from a shoot yesterday morning, rated all the images, identified Selects and imported them to Lightroom, did a quick edit, exported web JPEG files, and sent the 30 JPEG files to the client.  The whole process took about 90 minutes.  

My long term storage is external hard drives - three of them.  I use 8TB external drives with a primary onsite, a backup onsite, and I swap out the onsite backup with an offsite copy every month or two.  I use a program called Beyond Compare to synch my backup drives and update any changes.  Blue Ray disks, DVD's, and CD's are short term storage and are not safe for long term storage.  Images will deteriorate on BR disks.

I try to keyword all files in Photo Mechanic and add captions and titles.  I probably get that done on 95% of my images each year - usually within a day or two of shooting.  Every now and then I get backed up and only have preliminary keywords, titles, and descriptions on some images.  

When it comes to old files, I have not gone back to hard drives and updated rating and keywords.  It would be a good idea, but I have 100,000 old images that lack that data and 100,000 that have keywords and ratings, and 100,000 that just have ratings.  It's just a matter of priorities.  

I use cloud storage for my best photos in addition to my backup drive system.  I keep a copy of the RAW file and a finished edit for most files.  I use iCloud and Amazon Prime Photos for free storage of about 1500 files.  I don't expect to need these photos, but I have them just in case.

When it comes to old images, you have to balance the benefit of freeing up space with the time and effort it will take to go through the files, figure out whether it has value, and to keep or delete the image.  If you were able to free up 20% of your backup drive space and you have 2 TB of images, you're still talking about an insignificant storage cost benefit.  400 GB is a rounding error when it comes to storage drives and the incremental storage is probably worth less than $25 per drive.  With 3 drives that's worth $75 - about an hour of your time or less.  Just keep them.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users