• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8350 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

I do a lot of printing and have had good results with the Epson 1430.  It was getting expensive so I got the InkXPro bulk system.  A fail!!!

First it worked nicely, then I started having trouble with color matching, was tending to the green side.  Then the printer wouldn't recognize the cartridge.  Yesterday I went down and found it was leaking ink.

Not a  happy camper.  I'm going to buy a set of ink for it and hope that the printer isn't toast!!  If that fails then I'm undecided whether to get another 1430 or move up to a P series printer.

Any experience with the P series Epsons, I want a wide carriage.  How about the Canon or HPs

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#2 Don Kondra

Don Kondra

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

I've been printing for years on a Canon iX6520 which is an equivalent of your Epson 1430.  Up to 13" x 19" with dye based ink.  

It just sat unused for over two months and without checking if it need it or not I ran one clean cycle and it's back to work !

A little over two months ago I had an opportunity to purchase a used Canon Pro - 10 and decided to move up to pigment based inks.

It's hard to quantify the difference in quality but they are archival prints.  Works just fine IF you use it regularly, sigh...

Even after sitting unused for two or three weeks I'm finding it takes multiple cleaning cycles to get operational. 

And that can take up to a 1/3 of the ink volume of the cartridges, double sigh.

BTW > when I purchased the iX6520 it was last years model and the full price of $500 when down to $140 after rebates.

The full price of the Pro 10 was roughly $700 and I paid $200 used which included ~ 8 cartridges.  Right now there is a $250 rebate on this model new. 

Prints from the Pro 10 do appear "better" but the reason I bought it was to cut the tether to my pro printing service and offer archival level prints.  For the few dye based prints I have sold I made it clear to the client that their life span is probably less than 10 years and they are priced accordingly :)  

At this point my demand for prints for sale is down to the point I'm not saving any money but I have complete control of the product.

Cheers, Don   

#3 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8350 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:04 PM

Thanks Don, I was concerned about the dye/pigment difference and heard about the need to keep the heads cleaned.  I haven't sold prints that were expected to be archival. 

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#4 Don Kondra

Don Kondra

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

I'm not sorry I made the "upgrade" and if I remember to run a check ink head pattern once a week it's usually enough to keep them clear. 

Miss one week though and it can cost ink :)  

And as I said, if you don't mind last years model the savings can be substantial... 

I should also mention I've been running third party inks for quite a while, they're about 1/3 the cost of OEM cartridges and have actually lasted longer than some of my pro lab prints. 

Cheers, Don 

#5 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

I have a Canon Pro 9000 which I don't use anymore.  

Want it cheap?

GORDON

p1092005242.png

Nikon D800, D300, D200, D70

500mm F4, 80-400VR

12-24DX, 24-70 F2.8FX, 18-70DX, 16-85DX, 16-35FX

and a bunch of other stuff...

#6 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

I use a Canon Pixma Pro 100.  8 cartridges that are reasonably priced. Excellent results! Often on sale.  Since my Epson 3880 was such a failure and repair costs were prohibitive--I will probably stick with Canon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users