• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

See:-

http://forums.dprevi...essage=26834299

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#2 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Actually, in spite of the instructions to the contrary, I've forgotten to turn VR off and still got great shots - almost wonder if any tripod shake was cancelled out with or not. Anyway, it works both ways for me... next. Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#3 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:48 AM

I haven't used my tripod and 70-300mmVR lately , but I remember shutting the VR off for a flower pic. I will do a test and see what happens.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 José

José

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, and Music

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

I personally think leaving it on will assist, especially when outdoors and wind does and will cause camera movement.
José

”There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”
- Ansel Adams

#5 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:36 AM

I thunk I read somewhere u should turn it off as te focusing adds a lil movement....somewher I read this but have not tried it....Yet.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

I've shot my 70-200 by accident on a tripod with VR on and never noticed anything catastrophic with the image. I've never pixel peeped it though. I consider VR alchemy and in that case I take the advice of the alchemist (Nikon) and try to leave it off if I'm locked down on a tripod. If I'm panning or have it loose on a gimbal I would use it. I figure they engineered it and they warn about that so I don;t try to out-think them.

#7 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

Did they ever give a reason why it should be turned off? The only advantage that I can see is that if your camera is locked down tight there is no need to run down your batteries running the VR. Maybe there is a less obvious reason that I'm missing.
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#8 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

The standard reasoning I see, repeated over and over, is that non-tripod enabled VR needs some movement to "bite into", otherwise it will create vibrations of it's own because it is confused. I don't know if that is from Nikon or just conjecture repeated over and over until it is established fact :unsure: If you dig through Nikon's site they have an interview somewhere with a designer of VR lenses, I think, that might shed a little light on it. I just read the manual and follow the alchemy recipe :D I do believe that a well executed image on a good lens like the 70-200 is a bit sharper with VR turned off, on or off tripod. It's harder to compare hand held, of course, but my impression is that a good shot on a good tripod with good technique without VR will render the finest image. I have also seen some weird bokeh from the the 70-200 when VR is used. It is not consistent or reproducible but when it happens it is very obvious because the lens normally renders some fine bokeh. I think Thom Hogan mentions it in his review? Come to think of it, that is the main reason I try not to use VR when I don't need it.

#9 Andrea

Andrea

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:49 PM

Actually, in spite of the instructions to the contrary, I've forgotten to turn VR off and still got great shots - almost wonder if any tripod shake was cancelled out with or not. Anyway, it works both ways for me... next.

Mule

buy a new tripod!

ah....."moderator", sorry...I was just joking

:D :D :D

#10 Andrea

Andrea

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:54 PM

Did they ever give a reason why it should be turned off? The only advantage that I can see is that if your camera is locked down tight there is no need to run down your batteries running the VR. Maybe there is a less obvious reason that I'm missing.

you are right I 100% sure that these are just bullshit.
It's not because VR could be confused...it's just because after 3 seconds it' stops by itself and when it stops, it shakes the camera. IMHO... but let's check with a Nikkor 70-300, at first I tought it was broken.

Nikon, Canon & Co. cannot say that it's like to say "our VR shakes".

#11 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

Since I consider VR to be more like 'voodoo' with its somewhat unpredictable results - even when used as directed without a tripod - everybody is going to get different results cuz they shoot differently. I don't trust my 'pod completely because my warped sense of reasoning is that VR will do a better job of taking up the slop than trusting a theoretically rigid tripod to eliminate vibration when the camera can still introduce some itself. That said, I can get perfectly sharp images with it on using the 70-200 VR but can't be 100% sure under any circumstances without it. That's erring on the side of safety. Each to his own, of course... Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#12 Ron W

Ron W

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7516 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

For what it's worth, I have noticed that when I take 5 shots for an HDR image my 70-200 is very soft with the VR turned "on", so as a result, the VR is turned off whenever I use it for HDR. Whenever I use the lens handheld I turn the VR on and that seems to work well. With my 200-400VR, I have it turned off most of the time.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#13 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Possibly just as autofocus "hunts" in low light, VR will "hunt" trying to detect motion if none exists?

Having just written that I looked on the Web to see if other camera stabilisation systems had the tripod problem, particularly if using in camera rather than in lens vibration reduction or anti-shake and found this comment on Sony's site, whose cameras I gather have in camera anti-shake, not in lens like Nikon:-

"I think the bottom line is pretty simple - if there really is NO vibration, the AS gets confused and will blur your shots. (Hunting, maybe?) But if there is even slight vibration, the AS is in its element and does a nice job."

One other suggestion is that if you move an element in a lens, either vertically or horizontally, or any direction in between, you are bound to upset the optical corrections of the lens, therefore it will not produce as good an image as if that element were permanently optically centred. After all lens grinders go to great troubles to ensure lens elements are optically centred, so moving one around in other than a fore and aft direction cannot help the optical corrections in a lens if it is not needed. The same situation in moving elements in relation to each other means zoom lenses are seldom optically as good as equal quality fixed focal length lenses, because it is always harder for the lens designer to optically correct a lens for different focal lengths when elements alter their relationship to each other.

As said before if the subject is moving you need faster shutter speeds not VR:-

http://www.digital-s...anti-shake.html

And here's a guide to the different forms of image stabilisation:-

http://www.whatdigit...-explained.html

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#14 Arkayem

Arkayem

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Phtography and Aviation (I am an FAA Certificated Flight instructor - CFII)

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

For what it's worth, I have noticed that when I take 5 shots for an HDR image my 70-200 is very soft with the VR turned "on", so as a result, the VR is turned off whenever I use it for HDR. Whenever I use the lens handheld I turn the VR on and that seems to work well. With my 200-400VR, I have it turned off most of the time.

I think that VR shifts the image slightly when it activates, so that wouldn't be good for HDR and may be why it makes them soft.

Edited by Arkayem, 31 August 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#15 ImageX

ImageX

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

I don't want to wear out the VR switch on my 70-200 so when I am shooting on a tripod... I just leave VR on and make sure to tap on the tripod a little as I shoot.
Nikon D300s/D70 - Sony H20 P&S w/ optional tele, wide, and macro lenses

Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 VR, Nikkor 35mm 1.8, Nikkor 70-300mm, Nikkor 18-200mm VRII
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC, Tamron 90mm 2.8 1:1 Macro
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Up next.... Bigma
SB600, SB900
Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 + 496RC2
Manfrotto 680B + 234RC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users