#1 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi Friends,

I recently posted an image that I had originally intended to do as HDR (High Dynamic Range), but got frustrated with Photoshop CS3's handling of the clouds, so resorted to simple masking, sky-replacement, etc.

Anyway, at Arlon's recommendation, I downloaded the free trial of HDRsoft's Photomatix (Mac and Windows available), and gave it a try on the same image. AMAZING!

Here's the rough result of the Photomatix version:

Attached File  Pumpkin_Patch_Photomatix_Final_copy.jpg   140.8KB   16 downloads

Here's the version I did first in Photoshop (sky replacement, masking, etc.).

Posted Image

Of course, they're processed very differently, but I like the detail in the the Photomatix-processed version (typical of HDR) that shows in the wood grain of the side rails and trailer bed, and the gourds. Much closer to what I saw when I took the photo in the first place. I may have to buy Photomatix after all!

Best,

Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#2 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:42 PM

Like 'em both, Jon but appreciate your notes on both processes. Something tells me this methodology is going to become more de facto as time goes on... thanks! Mule
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#3 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

The amount of HDR affect can also be easily controlled with the sliders. Took me a few tries to get them where I wanted but there is a lot of adjustabilty. Also a lot can be done with a single raw file or just several JPG files. I have had good results with handheld images too. The aligning part of the progam does a good job of aligning pictures if you let it.. Good luck. It's a lot of fun to play with but as I've used it, I'm going more and more subtle with it. I like the pictures you have to ask yourself "is it?" or "isn't it:". Also can be used in more than just cloud pictures. Here's a link to some of my early examples mostly from handheld P&S pictures: HDR... Arlon
D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#4 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

Cool stuff, Arlon. I can see I'm going to have to spend some more time with Photomatix. I did some Photoshop HDR stuff from our Father Son Campout this past summer. I'll have to go back to those images and see if I get a more "satisfying" result from Photomatix.

Jon

Here's a link to some of my early examples mostly from handheld P&S pictures: HDR... Arlon

Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

#5 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4447 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, Mule. It will be interesting to try something that Arlon mentioned: HDR from a single image. Since HDR technique usually requires several images w/differing exposures (therefore, some planning involved), it will be interesting to see how the results compare. Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA

#6 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

You can do single image in Photomatix or make several exposures of the same image in PS and stack them in photomatix. I've gotten some surprise (good surprise) results from making several exposures of the same raw file to input into Photomatix. I've gotten my money's worth out of it for sure.

#7 CedarBranchNikon

CedarBranchNikon

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
  • Interests:Photography, surfing, MTB, fishing, fly and salt water, camping, hiking, farming, loving my family, especially my grandchildren

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

I have been wondering if you could photoshop one photo into several lighter and darker shots and then layer them. Now I have the answer. Thanks.

#8 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

Don't know exactly how to do it yet but you can do HDR toning of a single image

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#9 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2754 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Gary, the single image hdr can be accomplished several ways. It can be done in photomatix from a single file (RAW is WAY better for this). Simply selecting single file HDR and pushing the button. The way I prefer to do it is to take an image into PS Elements (that I use). I open the image in the RAW editor (jpg or raw can me opened in the raw editor). Then make several copies of the original image and different exposures (exposure slider in raw editor). If you have a raw file you can get a lot of details in the shadows my making one over exposed, and more details in the highlights (sky) my making another copy under exposed. Make a third copy with no change to keep the output images consistant.

You should now have at lest three images of different apparent exposure that you can bring into photomatix and let it do it's thing. You can also do an exposure merge in the photomerge part of elements with these three images. Sometimes gives more realistic look that I get from photomatix.

#10 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Tks for the heads-up Arlon, that makes sense actually

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#11 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

I use LR 5 and Matt K's HDR single image preset for all my HDR converts. The preset has three lights that are adjustable. At the moment, never used PS CC or any others.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#12 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7228 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

I have been wondering if you could photoshop one photo into several lighter and darker shots and then layer them. Now I have the answer. Thanks.

Hi CBN,

To expand on what the others have said, both Photomatix and Nik HDR Efex Pro allow for single image processing.  For both software packages, select the Tone Mapping option.  I won't comment on Lightroom because I'm still going through Classroom In A Book, and haven't played with the presets yet.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users