13 replies to this topic

#1 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

As many of you read I dropped my 500mm F4 lens hood into a river from a bridge.

Upon pricing a new one I was stunned to see a price of $400- for a lens hood replacement, not a new lens, just the hood.

So, I found an empty drywall mud bucket in my shop that looked about the same size.  I traced the lens circle onto the bottom of the bucket and cut an opening with an exacto knife.

I then drilled three holes equally spaced around the outside bottom of the bucket.  I then found three knobs from an old light fixture and screwed them onto short threaded studs.  

I also put a drop of crazy glue into the knob holes prior to screwing the studs in.  This was so that when I wanted to take the hood off I wouldn't unscrew just the knob but the threaded stud instead.

I drilled the holes into the bucket slightly small so that I could force the screw knobs in and that way they would make their own threads through the plastic bucket.

After that I lightly sanded the bucket inside and out, wiped with a tack rag and applied three coats of a flat black paint.  I'm thinking I may yet put a coat of black hammerite paint over that but haven't got around to it yet.

Three set screws instead of the original one should prevent the hood from falling off again.  Overall the new hood is slightly larger in diameter than the original but the soft cover still fits.  I've had it out a couple times and it works well.

Attached File  sm DAC_0487.jpg   303.15KB   0 downloads

GORDON

p1092005242.png

Nikon D800, D300, D200, D70

500mm F4, 80-400VR

12-24DX, 24-70 F2.8FX, 18-70DX, 16-85DX, 16-35FX

and a bunch of other stuff...

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22121 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

I just love it.

Wow, you are my hero for ingenuity.  And, it looks great.  When I first saw the pick, I figured you found a nice 3rd party hood.  It looks very professional.

WELL DONE!  Kudos to you.

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

I just love it.

Wow, you are my hero for ingenuity.  And, it looks great.  When I first saw the pick, I figured you found a nice 3rd party hood.  It looks very professional.

WELL DONE!  Kudos to you.

Thanks Art!  And I still have $400.  Well, not really...

GORDON

p1092005242.png

500mm F4, 80-400VR

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22121 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:15 AM

I hope you fish it out of the river, Gordon.

Was any part of it metal?  If so, Lee Valley has some amazing magnets you can buy, tie to a string and go fishing for it.

(Sorry, I think I am bothered by this as much as you as I have often feared doing the same thing down by one of the parks I frequent for Red Neck Grebe shooting typically in the spring)

Signature_Line_V4

#5 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10791 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:28 AM

Very creative & good craftmanship... well done, Gordon!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:49 AM

That looks awesome.  When I first looked at the photo i thought it was a new hood.  Very well done.  

Jerome

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#7 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

I hope you fish it out of the river, Gordon.

Was any part of it metal?  If so, Lee Valley has some amazing magnets you can buy, tie to a string and go fishing for it.

(Sorry, I think I am bothered by this as much as you as I have often feared doing the same thing down by one of the parks I frequent for Red Neck Grebe shooting typically in the spring)

Thanks Herman and Jerone.

Art, they're made of Carbon Fibre which is one reason they're so expensive I guess.

It fell in close to the shore so I'm planning to look Next summer when the water level is low and since that part of the river is affected by the tide I'll look at low tide.  There is a current but I'm hoping it was not strong enough at that spot to carry it far but I think I may be kidding myself.

I will try though.

• Art likes this

GORDON

p1092005242.png

500mm F4, 80-400VR

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8035 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

Nice work, Gordon! 

Like Art, I thought that you had found a third party hood.  Job well done!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

Nice job! 

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#10 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Gundogs and fine doubles
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

Very nice

I had considered doing nearly the same thing, but the donor I found was a tub for hand cleaning wipes.

I also found a 6" speaker port tube that appears to made of a bit more rigid plastic that might be worth a look.

As a Side question what Tripod / foot adapter are you using?

#11 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

I have a Jobu gimbal head.  The Black Widow if memory serves.  It's out in the truck right now so can't go look- easily- read lazy.

GORDON

p1092005242.png

500mm F4, 80-400VR

#12 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3594 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:14 AM

I just saw this Gordon, it was only a year ago. Wonderful idea! All my hoods are taped on. I found one of mine on a football sideline, where I had been a couple minutes prior. 

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#13 Islander

Islander

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:57 PM

Time to update this post.

The plastic hood didn't work as well as I'd hoped.  It tended to flex a bit and it got crushed.  Bummer.

But!  It did get me to thinking and so I went down to a local metal fabrication shop and had an aluminum tube made to the exact specifications.  I then did the same thing as I did with the plastic hood and drilled three holes which I tapped to accept the set screws that I had made for the plastic hood.  I spray painted the aluminum (correctly primed with a self-etching primer) with a hammered finished black paint.  After installing the hood it looks perfect and is much more durable.  I've had this hood on for about 7 months now and it's still in new condition.  Cost of fabricated tube- $35.  

Definitely the way to go if you ever need a replacement hood for the big lenses. 

GORDON

p1092005242.png

500mm F4, 80-400VR

#14 Ron W

Ron W

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

A friend of mine makes lens hoods using a 3D printer. I have seen some and they are very professional looking, the ones that I saw were for a Canon EF400mm, 5.6 lens, they even have the locking-screw housing like on the original Canon lens. The hoods that I saw were bright yellow, but one had been wrapped in camp tape and looked like original equipment. I know that this fellow has some extraordinary engineering skills, and he drew the plans for the lens hood. I know I would fall short in that department. He saw me hand holding my 200-500 lens and asked if I'd like to have a pistol grip for the lens. Next time I saw him, he gave me a grip that screws into the foot of the lens. I haven't tried it yet, waiting for a swiss area plate to install on it.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users