• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21443 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:51 AM

I did a little step focus experiment today.

What I tried to do was get 20 images using my FLASH... didn't work. You can tell the camera how often to shoot and the time delay (enough to recharge a flash), but the flash doesn't fire from the hot shoe!!  That SUCKS!

So, it was 20 images and then stacked in HeliconFocus.  A very cool software package I bought on sale over the weekend.

First image, just a single shot.....

Attached File  Kennedy-NO-STACK(SFx).jpg   74.5KB   0 downloads

Second image, below, a 20 image stack using HeliconFocus.  And, I did a little PP on it so that is why it looks a little different from the first image above.

Attached File  Kennedy-20-STACK(Sfx).jpg   336.8KB   0 downloads

Images are shot with a Nikon D850 set on the Focus Step feature.

and

the Nikkor 105mm f2.8G set at f8 for all images.

I error I noticed I made, I didn't start the focus on the closest edge of the coins to the camera.  So, it is ever so slightly out of focus.  

What a very cool and very good software package!

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

There is a add on to Helicon Focus called Helicon Remote.  It's available for Windows, MAC, Android, and IOS.  Helicon Remote will step an AF lens through the exposures to make the stack, so that you can automate the process with cameras that don't have built in focus stacking like the D850.  I've used Helicon Remote with my D300, D800e, and D810.

Helicon Remote attaches to the camera with a USB cord.   You can control the camera and view the images with your remote device through the USB connection.  In auto stacking mode, you manually focus the lens at the min and max focus points and the program will step the lens though the range of the stack.  You can select the interval between shots.  When the sequence is done, Helicon Remote on a PC or MAC will automatically start Helicon Focus to process the images.  You can also use Helicon Remote in a manual mode with you adjusting focus or moving the camera using a focusing rail for each step.

Why US coins instead of Canadian ones?

Edited by Gary Poole, 27 November 2018 - 11:08 AM.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:41 PM

The second image is nice, Art.  I'm always hearing good things about that software.  :)

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 28 November 2018 - 09:33 PM

November is anniversary of Kennedy assassination.

A friend of mine was in Dallas for conspiracy seminars, tours etc.

Had Kennedy on the brain!
Signature_Line_V4

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4310 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:35 PM

I remember that day like it was yesterday.  The only other memories I have that are as vivid are the Kent State slaughter and 9/11.

Nicely done image, Art. 

Edited by justshootit, 29 November 2018 - 11:36 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

Thanks, Don.  You know, I think we all remember the assassination.  I was just a wee lad, but I vividly remember running and telling my mom, "Mom, Mom .... they shot Kennedy!!".  Even though we are Canadian, we have close ties with the USA on my dad's side of the family. I was watching TV and Walter Chronkite cut in for a special news bulletin.  I remember my mom crying.  

I also vividly remember 9/11.  Kent State didn't get as much coverage here, but I vaguely remember being quite surprised.  I couldn't stand Nixon, hated him more after Kent State.

Signature_Line_V4

#7 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4310 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:54 AM

Kent wasn't Nixon. Contrary to Neil Young's song, it was then Ohio governor Jim Rhodes who green-lighted the shootings. Why this idiot had National Guard units there with live military rounds in M-16 rifles rather than rubber bullets in larger caliber weapons, I don't know, but that decision ended his political career as it should have. That protest could have been handled easily without deadly force.
Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21443 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:51 AM

Don,

Those details would have escaped me.  All I remember was a Vietnam protest and Nixon in charge.  The song just cements the event.

What I found and still find puzzling is why a Guardsman would shoot into a crowd of students.  Its not like they were being shot at or in battle. I would have fired over their heads into a tree.  Its not like someone is taking stock of your aim. Regardless, it was an ugly time.

Signature_Line_V4

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 30 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

Thanks, Don.  You know, I think we all remember the assassination.  I was just a wee lad, but I vividly remember running and telling my mom, "Mom, Mom .... they shot Kennedy!!".  Even though we are Canadian, we have close ties with the USA on my dad's side of the family. I was watching TV and Walter Chronkite cut in for a special news bulletin.  I remember my mom crying.  

I also vividly remember 9/11.  Kent State didn't get as much coverage here, but I vaguely remember being quite surprised.  I couldn't stand Nixon, hated him more after Kent State.

I remember being in school when Kennedy was assassinated.  They announced it on the loudspeaker and gave us the rest of the day off.  Later that weekend, my dad and I got to watch Oswald being murdered, live on national TV.

Kent State?  I just remember that one image, of the girl kneeling beside a slain student. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#10 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4310 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:51 AM

Yeah, that was an internationally famous, pulitzer prize winning shot.  Had the guard been properly prepared with anti-riot weapons, rubber bullets, flash-bangs, etc., there would have been some temporarily debilitating injuries and no deaths.  This was handled stupidly from the get go.  I won't say that the students made it easy for the guard - they were generally behaving like psychopaths, but more forethought put into the preparations for that conflict would have averted tragedy.

Anyway, this originally was about Art's outstanding photography and I think we should steer the thread back to that subject...

Don

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users