• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3124 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

My D4 started to act up. So, I asked Nikon for a loaner, they are so nice about that. I decided to ask for a D4s. It does fire at 12 fps, that cool. Controls are pretty much like D4. One big difference I noticed, the D5 focuses faster. That's a big difference for me. I don't like the controls location on the D5, but I will deal with that. 

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6246 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:37 AM

They lent you a ... D5... or D4s..?

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18743 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

I think Phil owns a D5... I would guess 4s

🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13917 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Yes, a D4s

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3124 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Yes, D4 has 100K shots on it and some of the rubber was going unglued. It was missing shots and I was getting black frames. I cleaned contacts on lens and on cam, but kept happening. The thing that was surprising was the difference between D5 and D4s. I use cameras three to five days a week. They are in my hands and I am looking through view finder. I guess I was expecting D4s to be "almost a D5." It was just a comment.

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5714 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Both the D4 and D5 have one thing in common:  the price for both cameras is about the same as for a 27' sailboat in good condition.  :lol:

Phil, my serious question is:  do you feel that Nikon treated you well?  If you do, then the camera choice is a nice problem to have.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3124 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:58 PM

They always send a loaner when I ask. I can get glass too. I pay shipping.They fix things fast too. It ain't free on repairs, just fast.

My point of posting is that there is a huge difference in one step up from D4s to D5. If Conan can make a 14 fps camera, so can Nikon. I want that.

#8 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

The focus system of the D5 and D500 has a separate processor just for focus.  While that places a greater drain on the battery, I saw a huge improvement in performance.  In some cases, this means that Dynamic AF and Group AF are different, but overall it's a huge positive.  

Photographing foxhunting in similar light with the D800E, D810, and D500, I saw huge improvement in the number of keepers.  I had a keeper rate of around 65% with the D800E, 75% with the D810, and 95% with the D500.  This was for riders and horses going over jumps.  I was shooting a 3 frame burst of every rider - typically 50 or more riders with a new rider every 1.5 seconds using a 70-200 f/2.8 VRII lens.  With the D500 - same AF system as the D5 - I almost never missed focus.

There are cases where faster focus can lead to more misses.  I was shooting dog agility and found Group Focus missed when I was lying on my stomach and it picked up grass in the foreground.  Using Dynamic AF, the miss tended to be picking up the background.  So I liked Group AF, but needed to be on my knees and not my belly.  :)

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5714 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

The focus system of the D5 and D500 has a separate processor just for focus.  While that places a greater drain on the battery, I saw a huge improvement in performance.  In some cases, this means that Dynamic AF and Group AF are different, but overall it's a huge positive.  

I watched a Practical Photography review of the camera last night, that made the same point.  It's a nice feature to have, but I'm not sure that it is worth the cost of an older sail boat in excellent condition!  :P

BTW, I picked up some great tips on photographing sea birds, which is why I watched the video in the first place.  ;)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users