Photo

Can I link a d7000 to a mac air as an external live view monitor?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Decco20

Decco20

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hi All, I would love to be able to link my d7000 to my mac air in order to use it as an external monitor (live view) but not sure if this is possible.  This would be extremely useful when shooting macro images as I could zoom in on the external monitor and get a sharper manual  focus.  

I can link the camera to the laptop via the USB connector (fig 14 on page 3 of manual) and tether cable to the usb slot on the mac.  Using the image capture menu on the mac air I can see the images on the camera and download them to the mac, but this is not much of an advantage as I can do this already just by taking the card from the camera and putting it into the mac, but it proves that the tethered link works, just not in live view.

Anyone out there able to do live view on a mac air? if so, I would love to know how you do it.

Thanks and regards

Declan

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6984 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Hi Declan,

You are referring to shooting tethered.  To best of my knowledge, you can shoot a D7000 that is tethered to a Mac Book Air.  I personally shoot a D810 that is tethered to Lightroom on my iMac.  While I can't use the computer to adjust camera settings, I can immediately look at a large rendering, then adjust as required.  You should be able to do the same for the Mac Book Air.

Warning:  my own research indicates that if you want to use the computer to make real-time adjustments to camera settings, get your wallet out.  I use Lightroom because I already pay for it, and it is way cheaper than the alternatives.  :rolleyes:

I'm enclosing a link to a company called Tether Tools.  In addition to selling cables and tethering accessories, they also have links for software options.  Some work; some don't.  BTW, they do sell tethering accessories for the D7000.

Here's the link:

https://www.tethertools.com/

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Decco20

Decco20

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Mark, I will check the out, as I say I am not too interested in controlling the camera via the MacBook, just live view function to improve focusing.

Declan

#4 MikeAdams

MikeAdams

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

I use Helicon Remote, that allows complete control for almost all functions. I specifically use it to control the camera for macro photography since it allows me to shoot multiple images,  automatically changing the focus point on each. http://www.heliconso...helicon-remote/

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4251 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

Not to a MacBook but if you get a 12" monitor with HDMI input, you can view Live View on it

https://www.dpreview.../thread/2979326
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users