• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21437 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:26 AM

One Strobe AD600

Set up at 45 degrees to me and above me

Barn Doors

Grid

Diffuser 

D850

- on tripod ... using timer

Nikkor 105 mm f2.8G

1/250s

f9

ISO 64

+4 EV

PP in NIK Silver FX

and a little photoshop

Have at it! :lol: looking for critique.  

Attached File  Portrait-of-Art(900px).jpg   306.21KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7068 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:31 AM

Very nice Arturo! That is very well done.

• Art likes this

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21437 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thanks, Ron.

As always, desperate for a model so apologies for making you suffer another self portrait! :lol:
Signature_Line_V4

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15406 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

Lighting, execution, well done.

There are a few nits that I like to clean up in post. Has nothing to do with the execution of the image. The button is a bright as your face. the little emblem is dright.

what I tend to do is darken the emblem to where is just barely shows. And the same with the button, but not to the extreme of the emblem. Placing it into the shadows to leave shadow details. It's outside of the taking of the image, it the presentation of the image. Most folks say, close that emblem out. That could look good, but a small amount of shadow details is cool as well. As it is, the emblem is brighter than the zipper. and I think the zipper has the right amount of light on it.

One other think is logic. If I can see your face, and the light looks like your looking at it. and, your looking over your shoulder; where is your shoulder? I would go for cloning out the emblem to make that area black, but have some small fading details in the shadows for the shoulder your looking over.

In the days of film, one need to add contrast and then pull the process a bit in the development. And then control adding it back in the print. With digital, I find that the process (computer darkroom) adds contrast for each step. So, I have been tending to shoot with low contrast and as I processes it, let it naturally build, with control. Just my two cents. That and $300 more will get you a cup off coffee at starbucks. shows you how much my two cents is worth.

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7398 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:01 PM

Art, your lighting setup is good, as far as it goes.

However, you look like you are floating in the ether.  Have you considered using some type of kicker light from behind, to outline your shoulders and the back of your head?  Perhaps just a speed light at low power, with a diffuser?   :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21437 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

Dennis, thanks for the tips.  I adjusted as you suggested.  Feel free to comment further.

Thanks, Mark, I am experimenting with the AD600, trying to get a feel for it.  I just used the one light.

I just purchased this item as well ....

https://www.amazon.c...dian Pro Studio

A 10' x 12' backdrop stand I am fairly impressed with.  Trying to get the feel for portrait lighting with all this horsepower.

My process is to only use one light.  I want to see what I am capable of doing with it, strengths and weaknesses.  Will add other light later in the learning process.

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15406 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

Great! love the little bit of shoulder. And now, with the other two nits gone, we can see your face!  

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7116 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

And now, with the other two nits gone, we can see your face!  

:P :D :lol: :rolleyes:

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21437 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

Great! love the little bit of shoulder. And now, with the other two nits gone, we can see your face!

God only knows, you couldn’t see it before!! :lol:
Signature_Line_V4

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7398 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:09 PM

I just purchased this item as well ....

https://www.amazon.c...dian Pro Studio

A 10' x 12' backdrop stand I am fairly impressed with.  Trying to get the feel for portrait lighting with all this horsepower.

My process is to only use one light.  I want to see what I am capable of doing with it, strengths and weaknesses.  Will add other light later in the learning process.

Thanks for the link, Art.  I was considering going DIY on a backdrop, but Amazon's price for the backdrop + material isn't much more than I would pay if I bought components at Canadian Tire or Home Depot.  Plus I don't have to put holes in a wall!  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#11 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4310 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:28 PM

Nice work Art. Just curious as to why you didn't use a kicker like from behind you at camera right.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21437 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:33 PM

Nice work Art. Just curious as to why you didn't use a kicker like from behind you at camera right.

Experimenting only.  I need to see what 1 light can do.  Don't worry, have plenty of flashes to add to the equation.

Signature_Line_V4

#13 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2528 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted Yesterday, 06:09 AM

The lighting is perfect Art.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21437 posts

Posted Today, 03:33 AM

Thanks, Bill.

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users