• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21230 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:31 PM

I took the Fresnel 300mm lens out for some fun on Sunday, my last day of use.  Had to return it Monday. Trying to avoid them making dartboards with my face on it and handing them out to staff!  <_<

I am really impressed with this lens!  It is really easy to carry and hold and really does take an amazing image.

Check these out, all hand held, but to be honest, I used everything and anything I could find to lean against to steady myself.

These two are normal, FX images....

Attached File  9831_Great-Blue-Heron_(1200px).jpg   378.4KB   0 downloads

Attached File  9907_Great-Blue-Heron_(1200px).jpg   509.76KB   0 downloads

This is a DX format capture....

Attached File  9855_DX_Great-Blue-Heron_(1200px).jpg   387.14KB   0 downloads

Back to FX format

Attached File  9944_Gosling_(1200px).jpg   373.81KB   0 downloads

Bird in Flight not so great, but posted it anyway.

Attached File  9945_EGRET_(1200px).jpg   451.68KB   0 downloads

All images taken with Nikon D850.  Images sharpened in Capture NX-D and tweaked a little bit in Photoshop, to either give some contrast or to darken exposure.

Signature_Line_V4

#2 paulvanharte

paulvanharte

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Photography, model railroading( n scale) camping, spending time with my family

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:44 PM

Stop it :)  You said that for distance shots you need more reach.  This is not helping me at all :)   By the way great shots!!!!!

Paul

cropped-medicine-lake.jpg

Paul van Harte Photography

Camera: D750, lenses: Nikon 24-120 F4 VR Nikon 200-500 F5.6, SB600 flash

Facebook page: https://www.facebook...y?ref=bookmarks

Flickr page: https://www.flickr.c...otos/pvanharte/

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21230 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

:lol:

These are cropped at 70-90%!

So, they are sharp, but not tack sharp.

Images cropped at 35% look stunning!  See the squirrel images.

You really do, trust me, need more.  Look at the DX image, not bad!!

Signature_Line_V4

#4 paulvanharte

paulvanharte

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Photography, model railroading( n scale) camping, spending time with my family

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

I did some reading up on using the DX mode vs a Tc 1.4 and other than the fact you basically reduce the pixel count to half ( or however you call this) with DX what benefits are there?  I am very guilty of over cropping my images as I always find even with the 200-500 its never close enough. Doing that of course reduces sharpness.  Your images are sharp to my eyes even if they are cropped, but I have to admit I would probably crop even more to get " closer".   Would your advice be the same if I added the 1.4 TC?? Maybe one of these days Nikon will come up with f4 800mm which would be less than $3000. ( hey I can always dream)   Can I ask you a favor and crop one of your shots to only show the bird and not the rest of the shot. Maybe that will cure my "illness"

By the way I think the BIF is great( at least to my eyes)  Why are we photographers so hard on ourselves about the quality of our own images???

As usual it always nice to read your comments and posts.

Paul

Edited by paulvanharte, 27 August 2018 - 10:13 PM.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5110 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

Nice series Art!
[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#6 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7026 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:04 AM

Nice Art .

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15292 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:08 AM

Nice ones Art. I found a lake that is about an hour from me up in the mountains. I'm going to try and see if I can get there this weekend. I already have a honey do list.  <_<

I will take my 300/F4, 1.4 TC and the 200-500 and see what fun I can stir up.

As a note, ouor colors up in the mountains has already started, very strange to have them start in August. You might want to check your area as well.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

Nice series, Art.

Interesting exchange about DX vs FX cropping.  I'll be following along.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10323 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

Very nice series, Art!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21230 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

I did some reading up on using the DX mode vs a Tc 1.4 and other than the fact you basically reduce the pixel count to half ( or however you call this) with DX what benefits are there?  I am very guilty of over cropping my images as I always find even with the 200-500 its never close enough. Doing that of course reduces sharpness.  Your images are sharp to my eyes even if they are cropped, but I have to admit I would probably crop even more to get " closer".   Would your advice be the same if I added the 1.4 TC?? Maybe one of these days Nikon will come up with f4 800mm which would be less than $3000. ( hey I can always dream)   Can I ask you a favor and crop one of your shots to only show the bird and not the rest of the shot. Maybe that will cure my "illness"

By the way I think the BIF is great( at least to my eyes)  Why are we photographers so hard on ourselves about the quality of our own images???

As usual it always nice to read your comments and posts.

Paul

I started off with an explanation for DX vs FX and when I started going cross eyed, I thought better to just give you a link.  Go here, this is a well written article...

https://www.bhphotov...bate-its-choice

I am an FX guy.  I used to have a DX camera, it was very nice, but I much prefer the full frame camera and the higher MP count. Both take excellent images and I do not believe one is better than the other, for me it is preference.

Now, regarding the images, I a certain standard I go by when I post images anywhere......

• I never post an image I consider to be a bad image.  I only post the best.

Why?

Well, I consider photographer a creative art form.  An artist will never show you a failed painting, he will whitewash the canvas and paint over it and do it again until it is right.  Photography, in my mind, is absolutely the same. Why on earth would you post an out of focus image?  Or an image where you take a portrait and part of the persons head is cut off?

You wouldn't.

Typically, I wouldn't post most of those images, including the Egret.  But, because I am trying to show everyone what the 300mm Fresnel can do and because I only had it a very short period of time, this is the best I could muster for this brief review.  The Egret image is blown out.  The bird only passed once and I fired off a burst and that was the best of the lot.  It was harsh sun and I had the camera on M, so I got what I got.  The other images were all soft focus on the eye, so in my books, instantly garbage.

In bird photography, capture a crisp, in focus eye of the creature is everything. Then, proper lighting, pose, background, direction of light etc. all make up the evaluation process of whether  or not the image is a keeper or a discard.

So, in regards to the Egret, the eye is basically borderline, leaning on soft.  The tail and right upper wing are blown out... typically, this is deleted.  

Further to this review, this lens is awesome, no doubt, but you need to use it in the proper light.  In my opinion, it loses its crisp sharpness with subjects that are more distant.  I was pushing this to the limit with these images.  They are good, but pretty much at the end of the lenses reach, if you ask me.  That crisp, fine detail, feather structure etc. is all missing.

There is no comparison to the detail I can get from an image from the 200-400 much less from my old Nikon 400mm!

Teleconverters only add to the weakness of the lens.  They help you extend the range, but there is a price to pay in terms of IQ degradation, typically in terms of sharpness.  It all comes down to how fussy you are and if you count pixels.  I am very fussy.... Champagne taste on a bread and water salary.

Regarding the inexpensive, 800mm?  Not in our lifetimes.  ;)

Regarding your request for a crop, pick and image and tell me how you want it cropped.  Will try to comply so you can see what happens.

I am not a huge fan of cropping.  I have a few standard sizes I like to go with and hope I can drop the image down to 40% to increase the sharpness of the image. The more you crop in, when the subject is small, the more the image degrades when you are done.  I try very hard to avoid 100% crops or greater.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Signature_Line_V4

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21230 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Nice ones Art. I found a lake that is about an hour from me up in the mountains. I'm going to try and see if I can get there this weekend. I already have a honey do list.  <_<

I will take my 300/F4, 1.4 TC and the 200-500 and see what fun I can stir up.

As a note, ouor colors up in the mountains has already started, very strange to have them start in August. You might want to check your area as well.

We started losing leaves on the trees a few weeks ago!  Colors haven't changed yet, that I have noticed.  Typically, we start to see it in September.  Currently, it is sweltering outside, brutal humidity.  It will be a while before the temps start to drop to that level.

Have fun, hope you get some nice images.

Signature_Line_V4

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21230 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Mark and Herman, thank you!

Signature_Line_V4

#13 paulvanharte

paulvanharte

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

Art, Thanks for the detailed reply. Dont worry about the cropped image. You know what you are talking about :)  I will be reading up on your link.  As a side note before the 750 I had the 7100 which was agreat camera and I was totally happy with it. Did find higher ISO caused more noise than I liked. I ended up renting the 750 and did really notice a difference in images ( more detailed etc etc) I am really very happy with my D750 its probably more camera than I need, but I am not allowed to buy another camera so I will keep this one until I am too old to carry the sucker around :) This forum is way more supportive than lets say DP reviews forum. 

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21230 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

We have a solid community here, Paul.  There is plenty of drama in the other forums I am glad we choose to avoid.

Re the D750, it is the camera of choice for a vast majority of Professional Wedding Photographers, that speaks volumes for the cameras functionality and ability to deliver a solid image.  I think you made a wise choice.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users