Photo

Anyone know anything about this older Nikkor Lens?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

I was going through some photography gear that used to belong to my Dad and surprise! I found a Nikon, Nikkor-Q Auto 2.8 135mm, it has a built in lens hood. It has that older heavy feel to it but I don't know anything about it. Will it work on a D3300 in manual? If not I have a Ricoh KR-30 and a Sears KS-2 I can use it with. But either way it was a surprise that I had an old Nikkor lens and didn't know it.

There's also a Zykkor video wide angle lens and a Zykkor telephoto lens, I've never even heard of Zykkor. Any help is appreciated!

Nikkor1_zps70giqolw.jpg

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

I found some info, it's a F type, manufactured between 1971 and 1973, has no AI coupling ridge, fits onto the D3300 but obviously doesn't work. It transmits no image at all through the sensor. The question still remains  :)  is it a half decent lens for film? I thought this was a pretty helpful link to find out when it was made.

http://www.photosynt...n/serialno.html

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 Pete

Pete

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

The Nikkor Q 135 is quite good even on digital.  Just make sure you have it AI modified before you mount it on a higher Nikon camera or you will damage the AI tab.  Your D3300 does not have an AI tab so you can mount it without damage.  You can use it on you D3300, you will just need to figure out how to meter for it.   It was built late 60s early 70s.  After 71 it would have been an AI lens.   I have the older 3.5 version converted to AI and I use it quite often.

#4 Pete

Pete

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Oh yes, I use the Photosynthesis site all the time.

Yours must be early 1971 before the AI mod.

Edited by Pete, 30 August 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

The Nikkor Q 135 is quite good even on digital.  Just make sure you have it AI modified before you mount it on a higher Nikon camera or you will damage the AI tab.  Your D3300 does not have an AI tab so you can mount it without damage.  You can use it on you D3300, you will just need to figure out how to meter for it.   It was built late 60s early 70s.  After 71 it would have been an AI lens.   I have the older 3.5 version converted to AI and I use it quite often.

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll have to do some research to figure out how to use it with the D3300

#6 Pete

Pete

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

You can shoot in manual mode but you have no way to tell the camera what the aperture is.   Do you have a separate light meter?  Or just get good at 'Sunny F16'.

#7 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1424 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

No, I have no separate light meter, I'll definitely make use of it with my film cameras.

#8 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2765 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

No, I have no separate light meter, I'll definitely make use of it with my film cameras.

No light meter but you have a view of the image. Just guess the exposure and then dial it in from there. I shoot a lot of old lenses, some I can meter and some I can't, It's actually a good learning exercise. I can almost always get a useful image on my first guess, just comes from doing it a lot before I had a camera that metered. Almost every image I took with my old D50 was done by guess on the first shot then dial it in from there. I have 2 Q versions and an E version of that lens. I think they are really good lenses for shooting low light, still life, portraits and such. Without metering, they are a little difficult for fast-moving scenes and rapidly changing light conditions. Learn to use where it works it and have fun with it. No problem with image quality if you do your part. 

Edited by Arlon, 03 September 2016 - 09:22 PM.

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#9 Pete

Pete

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

I downloaded a Lightmeter App for my phone.  Use it sometimes for Polaroids and it works quite well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users