• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

A number of years ago, I sold off a number of film cameras in my conversion to digital.  Of late, I've taken to shooting more film, so my itch for another manual focus Nikon grew.  I already had the FE, FE2, FA, and FM2.  They're all great cameras, but I still wanted another manual focus "pro model"

A young senior at University of Michigan is graduating, and relocating.  He was quite anxious to sell, and obviously needed cash to help accommodate his relocation.  He listed this F3-HP for several weeks, and finally lowered the price to something I considered reasonable.  The camera came with an immaculate 50mm f/1.4 AI-s, 6 rolls of Tri-X and 4 rolls of Portra 400.  A quick agreement was reached, and I was on my way.  The camera was built in 1982, but it's as close to N-I-B as I've seen.

Last night I decided on another MD-4 in anticipation of my coming deal.  A local dealer had one on eBay, I bought it, and picked it up later this morning.  It has a few scratches from use, but it's fully functional and runs nicely.

Attached Files

Best,

Dennis

#2 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

congrats looks great

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D500, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#3 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1186 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

Sweet!!! Love the sound of the MD-4 on full song.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15204 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Sweet

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4260 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

Love my F3!! Congrats.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19630 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Nice..let us see a few pics...

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21086 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

Congratulations!

Looks like a well loved beauty.

Now, post some images! ;)

Signature_Line_V4

#8 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19630 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:13 AM

Yup..post some..

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#9 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23526 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Super sweet and congrats!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#10 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5340 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:02 AM

Amazing camera and still fun to shoot with.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#11 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

Here's a picture taken at the St. Francis of Assisi Church.  Built for the Polish community in west Detroit, in 1889, it was merged with another church, then closed for good in 2013.  The eagle has a lot of weathering, wear, and patina.  I shot the photo on Portra 400, scanned the negative with my Epson V850, edited and converted to B&W with a sepia tone, in Affinity.  The lens was a Nikkor 80-200 AI-s Zoom.

I also shot the same image with my D750 using a 70-200 f4

Here's the F3 shot -

Church%20Eagle%20SW%20Detroit%20-Sepia_z

Here's the D750 shot -

S.W.%20Detroit%20Church%20Eagle%20-%20Ve

Edited by pendennis, 18 February 2018 - 05:28 PM.

Best,

Dennis

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21086 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

Very nice, I would be curious to compare it in its original form with the D750 image.

In other words, without the Sepia.

Signature_Line_V4

#13 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4260 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Agree with Art - let's see a side-by-side, same crop, same pixel dimensions.  Looks like critical focus was a little off in the F3 image, unless that's scanning artifact.  I'd like to see a pair of images, one from each camera, both shot with the same lens.

Note that you can scour around and get different diopters for the F3 viewfinder.  If your focus is consistently off, it might be that the diopter is not right for your eye and glasses, and needs to be changed. 

I have a gallery with a set of images taken with the F3 and Velvia here.  Also, an old thread about how you can still get amazing images with a 1980 vintage camera and 1990s vintage lenses is here.

Edited by justshootit, 19 February 2018 - 07:55 PM.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#14 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

I'm not a photographer at all but I did start in the film days with my Pentax K1000.  Even took a class in college.  And as much as I love the look of digital photography, those old cameras are sexy in the same way old Ferrari's are.  If that makes sense.  Congrats.

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23526 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

The legendary Pentax K1000 still used today!  :lol:

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#16 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

The legendary Pentax K1000 still used today!  :lol:

Jim

Every once in a while I scour the house looking for it but my wife says I sold it.  I think that means she got rid of it without asking.   :angry:

They were the perfect camera to learn on.  Obviously, I wish I still had it.

#17 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4260 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:43 AM

The K1000 is going for $182 to $218 at KEH.

Edited by justshootit, 21 February 2018 - 04:43 AM.

Don

#18 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3388 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:28 AM

Minolta 101 was a good starter cam too. Matching circle with the stick.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users