5 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

I've had the Nikon V1 since the early days. I actually have two - an early model at full retail, and a closeout at the end bought for little more than the cost of the lens and battery. I've also go the new Z6 mirrorless - the newest mirrorless camera from Nikon.

Last night we went to see P!ink in concert in Atlanta. The venue - State Farm Arena - does not allow cameras with interchangeable lenses but does allow compact cameras with lenses less than 3 inches. Obviously, even my smallest Z6 lens was too big to pass inspection. So I decided to give it a try with the V1 which is small and looks compact. I carried it in a compact camera case so it looked the part. Security looked at it and let me enter the venue. I carried the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses.

The challenge with the V1 is it's a 10.1 MP camera, so higher ISO levels can get very noisy. On the other hand, at lower ISO levels it's pretty good. So I set a limit of ISO 800 - at the edge but something barely acceptable. With the 2.7 crop factor, that gave me an equivalent 80-300 lens.

The 30-110 is a variable aperture lens that is f/5.6 at the long end. At ISO 800 that left me with shutter speeds of 1/100 - 1/125 sec - pretty slow overall and especially slow for action.

The good news was AF on this little camera is remarkably good. Having the Z6 for comparison, I can appreciate just how good the Z6 is for this kind of situation, but sadly it was not an options.

P!nk delivers a remarkable concert with lots of graphics, lots of airwork, and movemente all over a very large stage. While we had floor seats - it was pretty distant in this arena. This part of the tour opens with Julia Michaels - a New Artist nominee and and someone I looked forward to seeing.

Here are a few images from the event:

Attached Files

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

Nice shots!

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7351 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:43 PM

Excellent results considering your limitations Eric.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21721 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:44 PM

That is just awesome.  Well done, Eric.

PINK is amazing, love her.  May try to get a Media pass when she comes to Toronto.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, everyone.

Art - if you can get a media pass it's worth the effort.  The music and show are fantastic.  State Farm Arena in Atlanta is the venue for professional basketball and other events.  It seats about 21,000 for sports, and probably 17,000 for a concert.  She covered every part of a sold out arena with her aerial performances.  The biggest problem I had was she was too close - literally 10 feet away - and my lens was way too long and slow for being that close.  :)

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7715 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:55 PM