• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

It's not as large as I thought it was going to be, but a big monster compared to older 50's. It came with free Sunpak 58mm UV and pol filters but I don't need them. It autofocuses on the D40 due to the AF-S design. Here it is on the D40. Later l'll go out and get a few shots outside. But it's so hot out there do l really want to do that? It's 68 degrees in the apartment :) The last image is showing how lenses keep growing.

Attached Files

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D7000, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24017 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

I have 2 of the three! :D  Looking good Bill have fun!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15704 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

Cool, looks good.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21791 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

Congratulations, Bill! I think you are going to really enjoy that lens.

Looking forward to some images, when you get the chance.
Signature_Line_V4

#5 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:40 AM

I got a couple of Crystal at her desk at work and some on the back patio of the apartment complex. These were shot at or very near wide open. I used a 3 stop ND on the outdoor shots so I could open up the aperture and use flash fill. These were shot with the D40. Looking at the hi res images it seems to be a little soft wide open. But I haven't done any critical testing with it on a tripod yet. I'll post some comparison shots of all my 50 1.8's when I have time.

Attached Files

Edited by LightMeter, 15 July 2016 - 02:42 AM.

Bill

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#6 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10617 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

Nice inages, Bill. Looks big on the D40.

Enjoy!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:08 AM

A nice sharp prime on a neat sized body is THE perfect day-to-day photographic companion. The Pentax 50mm f1.7 on the K30 and more recently the 35mm f1.4 on the X-T1 form the backbone of my kit and I wouldn't ever want to be without them - have fun and keep posting.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21791 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

Awesome IQ on those images, Bill.

Enjoy!

Signature_Line_V4

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15704 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Very nice, looks to function well.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#10 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

The generic 58mm screw in hood arrived today. When using with a polarizer you just rotate the hood to rotate the polarizer. Very easy. It's almost impossible to rotate the polarizer with the bayonet mount hood. And you can put a 62mm cap on the hood if you want to leave it on the lens.

Attached Files

Edited by LightMeter, 15 July 2016 - 03:50 PM.

Bill

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15704 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

When you get to testing, let me know what F2 is like and the contrast. I'm thinking of getting a 50mm 1.??? to go with my 85/1.4. For portraits, I shoot low contrast as post adds contrast (crushed blacks). Also, studio lights have slightly differant color case at times. I have the xrite color check stuff, but there is always some stray color. Low contrast at shooting with the flash WB takes care of that. Anyway, I digress.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#12 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:55 AM

The generic 58mm screw in hood arrived today. When using with a polarizer you just rotate the hood to rotate the polarizer. Very easy. It's almost impossible to rotate the polarizer with the bayonet mount hood. And you can put a 62mm cap on the hood if you want to leave it on the lens.

Thats a neat solution - oddly I haven't used nor even had the need to use a polarising filter for (it must be about) five years. Probablely just the stuff I shoot I suppose.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#13 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:34 AM

When you get to testing, let me know what F2 is like and the contrast. I'm thinking of getting a 50mm 1.??? to go with my 85/1.4. For portraits, I shoot low contrast as post adds contrast (crushed blacks). Also, studio lights have slightly differant color case at times. I have the xrite color check stuff, but there is always some stray color. Low contrast at shooting with the flash WB takes care of that. Anyway, I digress.

Here's a contrast test at different f stops. I used a tripod and aperture priority. Contrast looks great wide open versus stopped down. The picture control was set to standard rather than the vivid I normally use. The only post processing was resizing. I haven't done any critical testing for sharpness yet, but it seems that it's a little soft wide open. I'll get to that and post here.

Attached Files

Bill

#14 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

Thats a neat solution - oddly I haven't used nor even had the need to use a polarising filter for (it must be about) five years. Probablely just the stuff I shoot I suppose.

I am a polarizer nut. Cutting glare on water, killing nasty glare on windshields at car shows, darkening blue sky.....l use a polarizer any time I can. I have the Hoya Moose warm polarizers in several sizes-52mm, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, and 77mm. Some of them were bought used at a great price.

Edited by LightMeter, 16 July 2016 - 04:40 AM.

Bill

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15704 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#16 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

I did some test shots with this lens and the 50 1.8D. For the sharpness shots I used a tripod, flash, and focused manually using live view with the image zoomed. I couldn't test the corners because I have DX bodies. Wide open the 2 lenses are very close with the G having a very slight edge, and I mean slight. At f/4 sharpness is identical. I didn't notice a difference in AF speed. Color fringing at large apertures is about the same. So it seems like the G is not really an upgrade. Well, one area where the G really wins is flare. The flashlight is very bright and I used a tripod so all the images are shot at the exact same angle. Here are the flare photos. So if you want a lens that will focus with low end bodies the G is the logical choice. If you do alot of shooting where there's flare the G is the winner also. But if you have the D and have a body that will AF it and you don't do much shooting where flare is an issue the G is not worth the upgrade. And don't forget the D is much smaller.

Attached Files

• Attached File  d11.jpg   147.61KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  g1.jpg   153.23KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  d22.jpg   151.83KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  g2.jpg   147.05KB   0 downloads

Bill

#17 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15704 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

I just purchased this as well. We will see when it comes.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users