• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15675 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

These are not the best representation of the images I took. I downloaded the new CNDX, but it has a hard time reading and making simple adjustments. Lightroom won't eve try to read them. Very disappointing. Well, here we go.

I took my grand daughter to have Grinch pancakes at the local IHOP. The 35 is promising. 

Attached File  _DJS0008_00002-1.jpg   249.91KB   0 downloads

Then I triad the 35 on Keesha nose.

Attached File  _DJS0023_00002-2.jpg   201.08KB   0 downloads

And then the moon. 1000 MM using focus peaking.

Attached File  _DJS0175_00002-3.jpg   103.23KB   0 downloads

Hopefully I will get some better results when the software catches up.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7414 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:05 AM

Looking good Dennis.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7798 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:36 PM

Nice shots, Dennis.

I didn't know that you had a 1000mm lens.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15675 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

Nice shots, Dennis.

I didn't know that you had a 1000mm lens.  :)

200-500, @500mm, and a 2x. Manual with focus peaking.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21769 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 23 November 2018 - 02:34 AM

Very nice, Dennis! I am going impressed!

Nikon really blows with software! It’s pathetic!

Remember my frustration when I bought the D850? Took months before they got it to work!
Signature_Line_V4

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7798 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

Nikon really blows with software! It’s pathetic!

Yup.  I won't be buying Nikon software anytime soon.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15675 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:08 PM

Well, Nikon software is free. Which, gives free a bad name.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7798 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:58 PM

Well, Nikon software is free. Which, gives free a bad name.

That's only partly true, here in Canada, Dennis.  Capture NX-D and View NX-i are free.  However, Capture NX-2 is $199.95 CDN and Camera Control Pro 2 is $224.95.  Even at Nikon.ca the reviews are decidedly mixed.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15675 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:42 PM

Isnt capture nx-2 the old software, wont support the new cameras? Like D850, Z cameras.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#10 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4317 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:26 PM

I can't say I'm crazy about Nikon's software either.  I'm phasing out Nikon Transfer and using LR to transfer files to the HD.  Up until View NX-i 1.30 came out, View wouldn't even install on my wife's computer citing an incompatibility with High Sierra which has been out for a while.  I don't know if 1.31 is compatible with Mojave.  At this point, I use ViewNX to preview images and if I need to change the white balance to one of the camera presets.  

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21769 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:12 AM

Capture NX-2 is the OLD software.  You have to buy it, it is still available. NO SUPPORT for D850 etc.  Has U-Point

- this is great software, it was FAST

Capture NX-D is free and supports NEW cameras. Believe it or not, HAS U-Point now as WELL.

- this is, in every sense of the word, a PIG

- it is slow, cumbersome and crashes

- BUT, it does the job

- not as well as Capture NX-2 but it is a step in the right direction.

Signature_Line_V4

#12 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7798 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

I was going to suggest Photo Mechanic as an alternative, but why would anyone pay as much as $150 for something that appears to be nothing more than another version of Adobe Bridge?  <_<

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

#13 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4317 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:04 PM

Still on the software thread, one thing about Lightroom/Mac and the dreaded "Image Preview Not Available" message:  This can be caused by link speed between the card and the computer.  For a long time I felt stuck with Nikon Transfer because when I plugged the D610 in and tried to transfer the images using LR's import feature, the slow USB-2 port on the D610 would cause LR to time out and show that error message.  My Mac has an SD card slot, and when I plug the card into that, the "Image Preview Not Available" message doesn't show up and I can see all my image previews.

To be fair to Nikon (don't slug me, Art), Nikon transfer also performs a lot better when I use the SD card slot than when I use the USB link. 

Edited by justshootit, 26 November 2018 - 10:06 PM.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#14 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4317 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

Capture NX-2 is the OLD software.  You have to buy it, it is still available. NO SUPPORT for D850 etc.  Has U-Point

- this is great software, it was FAST

Capture NX-D is free and supports NEW cameras. Believe it or not, HAS U-Point now as WELL.

- this is, in every sense of the word, a PIG

- it is slow, cumbersome and crashes

- BUT, it does the job

- not as well as Capture NX-2 but it is a step in the right direction.

Just checking, but have you downloaded the latest version of Capture?  I haven't gotten much of a chance to test it as I use LR & PS most of the time, but it seems a little smoother than the older version.

Don

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15675 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:44 AM

I have the new capture, its a dog. Im only using it at the moment as LR isnt updated for the Z6. It work for the z7.

I have never transfer files using the camera. I have the card readers.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#16 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:41 PM

All versions of Capture have always been limited to processing a single image at a time.  It's not a very good browser.  But the newest version of Capture NX-D with Control Points is pretty good.  It's certainly good on an interim basis.  To the extent I get good images, I'll reprocess them in Lightroom later.

The biggest problem I have is with workflow.  I don't like having two different sidecar files for my images - one from Capture and one from Lightroom.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#17 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7798 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:46 PM

I have never transfer files using the camera. I have the card readers.

The exception to this is when I'm shooting tethered.  Files go straight from the camera to a Dropbox folder, letting me access from either my desktop or my laptop. 

I use my little Coolpix for behind the scenes shots, for my assignments.  Those files go to a memory card, which goes into a memory card reader.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#18 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4317 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

I have the new capture, its a dog. Im only using it at the moment as LR isnt updated for the Z6. It work for the z7.

Ok, well so much for that. <_<

Edited by justshootit, 27 November 2018 - 10:41 PM.

Don

#19 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4317 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

I used to use Capture 4 (a long time ago in a far away galaxy) to get the in-camera adjustments into a TIFF and then deal with that in PS or LR. I should try that again and use the control points to further refine the image before export.

As far as the card readers, I like not having to plug and unplug the card when I import files, but USB 2 is pretty slow.

Edited by justshootit, 27 November 2018 - 10:40 PM.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users