• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

I have been looking at adapters for my 4X5 to be able to attach a DSLR for about a year now. So I finally decided to spend the money on one to see it it might be worth it I'm finding that instead of using my accordion bellows that comes as a standard option, I used my bag bellows allows for a lot more movement of the front and rear standards. A Caltar II Series-N 155mm lens with a Copal 0 shutter was attached as well. So far so good...

Below is what I ended up with...

Attached File  20160603_055409.jpg   91.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20160603_055545.jpg   71.07KB   0 downloads

Edited by gregc, 05 June 2016 - 10:49 AM.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7121 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:17 PM

Blimey ...that is some 'combo'.... good luck with your project.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:50 AM

Blimey ...that is some 'combo'.... good luck with your project.

Thanks Wheat.. It makes more sense to do this then it does to blow money on a perspective control lens. So I'm evaluating right now but it this works then this setup will become a working camera. I'll more than likely goto a higher MP body however..

Edited by gregc, 04 June 2016 - 02:52 AM.

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21449 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:12 AM

:blink:

Well, never seen that before but all the power to you if it works!  That is all that counts.  The only detriment I see is that the saggy cloth on the top side might interfere with the image if gravity droops it too low.

Signature_Line_V4

#5 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

:blink:

Well, never seen that before but all the power to you if it works!  That is all that counts.  The only detriment I see is that the saggy cloth on the top side might interfere with the image if gravity droops it too low.

Hi Art,

You have a point in that image circle coverage matters. Which is why say a 90mm Super Angulon would severely limit movement of the front and rear standards. Hence the bag bellows, (the one you see is from the camera manufacturer Calumet) since they allow for greater adjustment. Recommended lens lengths are 120mm and above if I remember correctly, although I'm tempted to try a 90mm to see what would happen on a tabletop.

There are two ways to work with focusing this.

1. First is to place the original glass and do all focusing and perspective /shape /positioning changes with the ground glass back. Then remove the ground glass and replace with the DSLR adapter, That done you will only have to adjust the focus using the rear standard. If the bag was in the frame you will for sure know that you are at the limits of adjustment and you can either adjust for it to back that out of the frame.

2. Use the DSLR back and live view to confirm composition with a 7-10X glass loupe and a focusing cloth. if ambient light in and issue on your glass. So far I have not had a need for my focusing cloth as the image in the camera back has been easy to see. Your lens aperture is already open and the only thing left it to click..

Lastly, if the bellows drooped into your frame you have the option of just pulling it out of the way. The material the bellows is made of is easily repositionable. You just have to make sure you dont have a lens with a image circle that is too wide if you want to be able to make decent perspective changes.

Edited by gregc, 04 June 2016 - 05:12 AM.

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Wow, can't wait to see the results.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

[quote name="Dennis" post="223028" timestamp="1465050059"]
Wow, can't wait to see the results

Hi Dennis,

I've only had time to do one test since open gym has now started for my daughter. But I managed an attempt at an HDR image that I had posted elsewhere. I'll put it here so it easy to find.

Attached File  Day Lillie_HDR_XX-1.jpg   790.42KB   0 downloads

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

Looks good

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

Looks good

Thanks Dennis!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users